E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   E46 318i engine tapping (video included) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=841039)

Diarmaid 05-02-2011 11:56 AM

E46 318i engine tapping (video included)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXVS6VPqGzI

2000 M43 engine 1895cc petrol. Anyone have a similar noise coming from their E46/E36 and know the fix?
Is it the hydraulic lifters or the timing chain tensioner?
It makes this noise when the engine is cold and right up untill it reaches normal temperature. It fades in and out sometimes untill it reaches normal temperature.
It clears temperarally after I rev to about 3500rpm.
Oil used - 0W40.
Tried additives before but they don't work anymore.

jcjdavis1 05-02-2011 12:18 PM

Hi. Do an engine flush, use cheap car diesel oil, clean under the rocker cover and replace the oil spray bar then a complete oil filter change. I use 10/40 oil in my car as it is at 113000 mls with no adverse affects. See if that helps. Jim

Diarmaid 05-02-2011 12:30 PM

Thanks for the reply!
I tried an oil flush a few months ago - no real improvement, I also had the rocker cover off - couldn't really see any noticable damage or signs of a worn out part. I had the oil spray bar out too, no blockages so didn't replace - how much is a new one?.

jcjdavis1 05-02-2011 01:50 PM

Hi. I googled your problem and came across this-

It could well be a hydraulic tappet, and once they've started making a noise they're finished. The additives you can buy will keep it quiet by expanding the oil seal but it won't last long. The best course of action is to try and identify the noisy one (use a screwdriver held against the cam cover and to your ear) and replace two or three. The M43 engine is quite easy to work on and when you have the special tool you can compress the valve and hook out the rockers before lifting out the old hydraulic tappet and dropping a new one in. Jim

Drizzles 05-03-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diarmaid (Post 13114222)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXVS6VPqGzI

2000 M43 engine 1895cc petrol. Anyone have a similar noise coming from their E46/E36 and know the fix?
Is it the hydraulic lifters or the timing chain tensioner?
It makes this noise when the engine is cold and right up untill it reaches normal temperature. It fades in and out sometimes untill it reaches normal temperature.
It clears temperarally after I rev to about 3500rpm.
Oil used - 0W40.
Tried additives before but they don't work anymore.

I'm finding more and more people with an M43TU like myself on here :D Mind if I add you?? Trying to keep a database of people ...

Get yourself a gardening hose and use it as a stethoscope to try and find where it is loudest ...

This is my thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...510&highlight=

I don't think that's your problem, but I'm willing to bet if you put your hand on your Tappet Cover you should be able to feel it ...

Diarmaid 06-19-2011 07:12 AM

I changed the hydraulic tappets - noise is now gone.

I bought 8 of them (8 valve engine) cost me 160 euro.

Did the work myself.

I bought this tool (40-50 euro)
- http://cdn.priceprobe.net/i/1638252....6d317.12116885

so that I could take out the old tappets without removing the camshaft etc.
All it does is compress a valve spring so that you can easily remove the cam follower and just lift out and replace the tappets.

The tool took a while to set up right for the arkward working space, but all and all it took probably 2 hours, maybe more.

*****NOTE -
before you compress the springs, study the position of the cams and valves so that there is enough space to remove the followers past the cam lobes, also you don't want to hit a valve off the piston when compressing the spring with the tool. To move the cam position, turn the starter for a SPLIT SECOND (remove all tools and loose parts from the area so that nothing gets broken or caught in the camshaft)
Also, when putting the followers back in, it is important that when you compress the spring you also (using a screwdriver or something) put a bit of pressure on the top of the valve so that it moves WITH the spring and doesn't become un-clipped and fall into the cylinder.

Breyton-BMW 06-19-2011 07:40 AM

What's the mileage on your car? Mine is at 84,000kms. I'm dreading the day I hear that noise. M43 here also.

Diarmaid 06-19-2011 08:18 AM

100,000 miles.
I'd say that if you kept up with regular oil changes you will be fine. BMW services change the oil every 15,000 miles which seams far too long to go without an oil change. I change mine every 7 - 8,000 since I bought it over a year ago.

Breyton-BMW 06-19-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diarmaid (Post 13291124)
100,000 miles.
I'd say that if you kept up with regular oil changes you will be fine. BMW services change the oil every 15,000 miles which seams far too long to go without an oil change. I change mine every 7 - 8,000 since I bought it over a year ago.

That may be it. I change mine every 10,000 kms or 6000 miles since 2000 when I got it. Then again, your car has double the mileage of mine. 100,000miles is around 160,000 kms.

Msporter 06-12-2012 04:04 PM

Thank you so much for this post and video i have exactly the same problem!

I have an E36 1999 with an M43 1.9 engine and recently the ticking noise on startup when cold has become really bad.

Could u maybe give me a more detailed set of instructions to comeplete this work?

Thanks

shathiso morima 11-25-2012 07:10 AM

Msporter did you fix your car?i also have the same problem on an E46 2000 318I M43 engine

Msporter 11-25-2012 08:34 AM

No dude i havent had the balls to even attempt to compress the valve springs incase i lose them into the cyliner haha, however i did find out that the lifters are 25 each from bmw parts because they have to come all the way from germany

Or u can also try the wynss hydraulic lifter treatment that takes the noise away for a few weks then it comes back again.

shaunn 01-15-2013 03:24 PM

mine has stated

Hi all guess what my cars lifters are also stuffed now chain changed as well as the tenshoner

Hektik 05-15-2013 06:25 AM

I've just started getting it last couple days on cold starts only. Its only for a few secs then smooth as normal but think I'll give the oil change / flush / filter and the Wynns treatment stuff ago before having (a mechanic) mess with changing tappetts.

How is all your guys tappets? Is it also just on colds start? did it get worse? mines currently on 74k miles

Shaun1970 05-15-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hektik (Post 15424996)
I've just started getting it last couple days on cold starts only. Its only for a few secs then smooth as normal but think I'll give the oil change / flush / filter and the Wynns treatment stuff ago before having (a mechanic) mess with changing tappetts.

How is all your guys tappets? Is it also just on colds start? did it get worse? mines currently on 74k miles

Does your sound like the video Hektik? As that does sound rather rough, mine on start you can hear slightly then with in 30/40 seconds sounds normal. I use 5/40 Fully Synthetic Oil in mine wonder if that may make a difference, but if its that noise then more likely tappets as others have said.

Hektik 05-15-2013 10:35 AM

aww cant hear the vid Shaun atm cuz at work (obv not much work getting done!! lol) will deffo have a gander later. As say mine sounded quite loud is the worrying part... will soon see.....