E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Brake fluid change indicator reset (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=841578)

andydavey 05-04-2011 12:49 PM

Brake fluid change indicator reset

I've just changed my brake fluid and want to reset the indicator that comes up on the dash (the little clock symbol).

I tried following the instructions from here:

Quote:

1. Ignition key to position 0 (off)
2. Hold trip meter button (the left button)
3. Ignition key to position 1. The display will show: "test 1"
4. Keep holding the trip meter button until the the display shows: "reset inspection" or "reset oilservice"
5. Release the button
6. Press and release the tip meter buton once. The Display will show the square clock symbol and the month the fluid change is overdue on. I can't remember if the date format was mm.yy or yy.mm
7. Press and hold the trip meter button until the display is showing a flashing "reset". Then release the button. "Reset" will keep flashing.
8. Presss and release the trip meter button once. The display will show the square clock symbol and the month for the next fluid change in 2 years time in the format mm.yy or yy.mm
9. Press and hold the trip meter until "End" is displayed
10. Let go of the button and turn ignition to 0 (off). The clock symbol will not show again until the next fluid chnage is due
However, step 4 never happens. I get "test 1" shown in the display, then keeping it held just makes it go back to the normal odometer/trip counter, then back to "test 1", then the normal odometer/trip counter and so on.

Has anyone successfully managed to do this? From what I gather, steps 1-5 should be the same as resetting the inspection/oil service if anyone has done that. Car is a 1999 E46 328 if it makes any difference.

Cheers,

Andy

andydavey 05-09-2011 12:12 PM

Just to clear this up - the procedure only works on cars newer than 2000. I had to get it cleared using diagnostics in the end.

PTPMotorsports 05-18-2011 10:08 AM

Mine is a '01 330Ci and get the same issue, "test 1" shown in the display, then keeping it held just makes it go back to the normal odometer/trip counter

Any advice?

Thanks

PTPMotorsports 05-18-2011 01:04 PM

With a little time waitting for someone I tryed the procedure again and it worked.... My problem was with the oil change, don't know about the brake fluid.

Let me check and I'll get back to you

alvocado 05-18-2011 08:48 PM

Brake fluid changes are time based, not mileage based. The recommended change interval is every 24 mos. since brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture.

Solidjake 05-18-2011 09:44 PM

OR use my vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8AF-vuL8E

Kubica 05-27-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andydavey (Post 13124129)
I've just changed my brake fluid and want to reset the indicator

We have a brake fluid indicator?

I think you may just need to top up the fluid:dunno:

MacFady 06-06-2011 08:42 AM

By the "little clock signal" are you sure you don't mean the brake pad sensor indicator? If you don't put in a new sensor then the light will stay illuminated, there is no ignition trick to get that light to turn off.

bdrbmw 06-06-2011 04:59 PM

I just had this brake pad light come on and it is persistent. I have new pads and know that is not the problem. Are there sensors on each wheel? Is it a reasonable DIY to replace them? Your experience appreciated.

PTPMotorsports 06-06-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdrbmw (Post 13248291)
I just had this brake pad light come on and it is persistent. I have new pads and know that is not the problem. Are there sensors on each wheel? Is it a reasonable DIY to replace them? Your experience appreciated.

In my '01 330Ci theres one in the driver side front and the other in the passenger side back.

Mine had but they looked too old, one of them even without the copper ring...

My recomendation its to change them everytime you change pads.