E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General BMW Model Discussion (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   BMW 5series vs. Acura TL (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=842761)

Packm 05-09-2011 02:19 PM

BMW 5series vs. Acura TL

I have just sold my truck due to a new job that will involve more driving. I an now looking for a reliable car that I will use for a daily driver. I am trying to narrow it down and I have come to a BMW 525 or 530 vs. Acura TL. Also if anyone knows of another car that I should add to this mix please let me know.

PLEASE HELP!!

PromethWill88 05-09-2011 03:17 PM

TL all the way. its a lot more reliable, comfortable and good bang for the buck. the 525 or 530 are way underpowered for the chassis (im assuming e39 or e60).

my step father owns a 05 TL 6 speed, its a fast car and the ride is very comfortable along with great gas efficiency. not to mention, great technology and stereo.

Riverbmr3 05-09-2011 04:53 PM

TL can't have staggered wheels, its front drive, still honda...just saying

Grovedale 05-09-2011 05:13 PM

While I have not driven a new 525, I have been driving a 2008 Acura TL type "S" with 40k on it for about a month now, (it is a company car I get at work) and I am not impressed. It looks good in a travel appliance sort of way, but the seats are only ok, the acceleration is reasonable, handling is good, for a car this size, but you can tell it is a heavy car, and it rattles and squeakes over bumps, and it sucks gas. I do not beat this car and the best mileage I have been getting is 23 mpg combined (using the Acura trip computer). My 2003 325Ci (with 25k more miles on it) is more fun to drive, is quieter, handles better and is more comfortable. My guess maintiance on both cars will be pricey unless you do it yourself, but if I had to guess the BMW will cost you more. I would look at a new body style Nissan Maxima if I were you.

Rajput 05-09-2011 11:35 PM

What year Acura TL you are looking at? No matter what, run away from 2nd gen TL (99-03). Transmissions are crap.

As for 525 (assuming you are talking about E39) These cars got notorious overheating issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PromethWill88 (Post 13144772)
TL all the way. its a lot more reliable, comfortable and good bang for the buck. the 525 or 530 are way underpowered for the chassis (im assuming e39 or e60).

my step father owns a 05 TL 6 speed, its a fast car and the ride is very comfortable along with great gas efficiency. not to mention, great technology and stereo.

:werd: If you need reliable transportation TL is the way to go. (04-08) Check out Acura forums if you need some good information on TL.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Good luck car shopping. :thumbsup:

kirill1221 05-10-2011 12:08 AM

I own a 2005 TL 6 speed and I very much love it. There are so many great things about the car that add character to it. Autos have tranny issues. Go with 6spd if you can. Its def reliable and when you DIY you save even more. Power is there. VTEC is not loud but adds a punch. Also with them being Hondas, many parts can be had for dirt cheap.

6spd= Brembos in the front+thick a55 front upper strut bar+firmer suspension.

Yea it is front wheel drive but nothing is stopping you from staggering it anyways. Acuraziners do it all the time.

Best bang for your buck imo.

If you have anymore questions in detail about the car. Feel free to ask or pm me and I would be more than happy.

PS. Type-s does suck on gas. 23mpg sounds about right. I get around 28 with 60% highway / 40% city

hudatder 05-10-2011 01:44 AM

Maintenance wise...the Acura TL has the advantage
Sex appeal...the BMW has the advantage
Driving Experience...the BMW has the advantage
Interior design...Tie (Not everyone would agree due to elitism and bias)
Gas Consumption...the BMW has the advantage 28mpg highway (the TL has 26mpg highway, both have 18mpg city)
Douche Stereotype...the BMW has the advantage

So according to Utilitarianism ethics...the BMW would give you the greatest amount of pleasure

But seriously, you should look into a lexus or infiniti as well.
The Lexus IS350 can be found for about $25k with decent mileage,
The Infiniti G35 sedan or coupe can be found for under $20k with decent mileage too

kaldE46 05-10-2011 01:57 AM

Lexus gs300.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

Packm 05-10-2011 07:49 AM

Thanks guys this is really helping I am looking at getting an 07-08 TL. Or from 02-06 525 or 530. Trying to keep a V6 for the power but still get good gas mileage. I need to make a decision by this weekend b/c I do not wanna pay for another week of renting a car.

cdseven95 05-10-2011 07:03 PM

Id be looking between the RL (2005+) and the BMW......

JJR4884 05-10-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudatder (Post 13147476)
Gas Consumption...the BMW has the advantage 28mpg highway (the TL has 26mpg highway, both have 18mpg city)

So according to Utilitarianism ethics...the BMW would give you the greatest amount of pleasure

The Infiniti G35 sedan or coupe can be found for under $20k with decent mileage too

Couldn't have said this any better

OP.. TL 6 speed is what you want :eeps:

If you want to go the easiest route, Acura all the way. If you don't mind giving a little TLC and can afford fixing a $60k car, then the 530i would be nice.

M3kka 05-19-2011 02:18 AM

I left my E46 for a TL 6MT in white as well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirill1221 (Post 13147133)
I own a 2005 TL 6 speed and I very much love it. There are so many great things about the car that add character to it. Autos have tranny issues. Go with 6spd if you can. Its def reliable and when you DIY you save even more. Power is there. VTEC is not loud but adds a punch. Also with them being Hondas, many parts can be had for dirt cheap.

6spd= Brembos in the front+thick a55 front upper strut bar+firmer suspension.

Yea it is front wheel drive but nothing is stopping you from staggering it anyways. Acuraziners do it all the time.

Best bang for your buck imo.

If you have anymore questions in detail about the car. Feel free to ask or pm me and I would be more than happy.

PS. Type-s does suck on gas. 23mpg sounds about right. I get around 28 with 60% highway / 40% city

Dont forget we have LSD as well. Can you say fun?
I get about 25mpg but then again, I drive the car like it should be

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudatder (Post 13147476)

Um sir, check the mpg again. TL have 20 city/30 hwy (TL def has the advantage in that department)
Other than that, everything else is true

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJR4884 (Post 13150770)
Couldn't have said this any better

OP.. TL 6 speed is what you want :eeps:

If you want to go the easiest route, Acura all the way. If you don't mind giving a little TLC and can afford fixing a $60k car, then the 530i would be nice.

+1. Couldn't be put any better

ramtin325i 06-18-2011 04:45 AM

to get a reliable luxury car, get the acura.

antzcrashing 06-18-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packm (Post 13144542)
I have just sold my truck due to a new job that will involve more driving. I an now looking for a reliable car that I will use for a daily driver. I am trying to narrow it down and I have come to a BMW 525 or 530 vs. Acura TL. Also if anyone knows of another car that I should add to this mix please let me know.

PLEASE HELP!!

My dad owns a 530i and mom owns a Acura TL. Both are great cars but quite different. I like the smoothness of the 5 series but sportiness of the TL.

The FWD of the TL prevents it from truly shining as a sports car though.

PS: Acura gets great MPG, but the 530i gets impressive MPG also

G-Hots 06-18-2011 04:32 PM

if you are getting a TL, make sure its type S. otherwise stick with the e60