E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   UnKnown Sludge Leak.. Need opinions on Location (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=847592)

Steven747 05-30-2011 09:29 PM

UnKnown Sludge Leak.. Need opinions on Location

3 Attachment(s)
I already know that there is a slight tear in my right rear axle boot which is slinging a small amount of black sludge on the right rear of my underbody..

but ive been trying to track down this leak of the same substance on the left side also.. i have checked my boots and they are all good but some sludge is ending up on the bottom rear of my bumper and also inside the wheel well. my best guess is the pick with the most of the black substance right next to my sway bushings. i cant figure it out someone?

second pic is in the front part of the wheel well..
3rd pic is the place where i think alot of the grease it but not sure if its a spot where grease can leak from.. 3rd pic center upper part of the pic the darker tint is all the crap

besides those 3 spots i cant find it leaking anywhere else

Blocked Out 05-30-2011 10:10 PM

Maybe you run over something?

I seriously dont see anything to be worried about. Only things that can leak are the brake lines overthere and they wont look like this when leaking. Maybe shocks, but then you'll notice that on the shocks.

Steven747 05-30-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blocked Out (Post 13225072)
Maybe you run over something?

I seriously dont see anything to be worried about. Only things that can leak are the brake lines overthere and they wont look like this when leaking. Maybe shocks, but then you'll notice that on the shocks.

I know what your saying by the pics but it's truly a very significant amount of black tarish substance that is being flung around in there ... I guess I'm just wondering besides the axle boots where is their sludge deposits being stored

Blocked Out 05-30-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steven747 (Post 13225117)
I know what your saying by the pics but it's truly a very significant amount of black tarish substance that is being flung around in there ... I guess I'm just wondering besides the axle boots where is their sludge deposits being stored

There isnt any more.

More then sure you ran over something.

Steven747 05-30-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blocked Out (Post 13225137)
There isnt any more.

More then sure you ran over something.

hmm i will deffinetly think about it.. the thing that got me going on this was that its the identical substance that was comming from the tear in my right rear axle boot. :hmm:

LittleChrist12 05-30-2011 11:39 PM

I was driving through a construction zone on a highway when I picked up some grease like that. Very similar splatter marks behind the rear wheel well. I did a similar inspection and found nothing. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

GoingNuts 05-31-2011 02:53 AM

Looks like something is melting. Possibly gas desolving the under car coating. It's not possible to pick that up from the road behind the sub-frame mount and not on the mount itself. See if when you wipe it off, you end up seeing bare metal.

Steven747 05-31-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingNuts (Post 13225809)
Looks like something is melting. Possibly gas desolving the under car coating. It's not possible to pick that up from the road behind the sub-frame mount and not on the mount itself. See if when you wipe it off, you end up seeing bare metal.

interesting GN thanks all go try that out