E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Crossfit Going Mainstream? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=849795)

Glight 06-09-2011 03:18 PM

Crossfit Going Mainstream?

With a new big sponsorship by Reebok, it seems like crossfit is really on the verge of going mainstream.

I'm not a fan of a lot of things related to crossfit, but I do think the more exposure it gets the better the fitness world will be in general.

I like to think of it as a "gatweay drug" for become more into lifting and doing the right kind of things. Before I started looking at the crossfit website I never would have though to do deadlifts and squats or clean and jerks and snatches. It was what got me into "working out the right way"... at least for my goals that is.

I know a lot of people here aren't the biggest fans of CF (for many legitamate reasons), but it really is pretty cool how its getting soccer moms and grandparents into olympic lifting and actually messing around with barbells as opposed to just machines at the big corporate gyms.

Within 5 years I'll be shocked if you dont see the crossfit games on ESPN (2 at least).

Anyone seeing it around more and more?

DylloS 06-09-2011 04:00 PM

i like to see things like this because for some reason everyone thinks that unless you can only do one body part a week and you must do 3sets of 10. People need to open their minds a little bit.

Glight 06-09-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 13260160)
i like to see things like this because for some reason everyone thinks that unless you can only do one body part a week and you must do 3sets of 10. People need to open their minds a little bit.

Agreed. If someone told me three years ago that one day I'd be making atlas stones in my garage i would have told them they were nuts.

M3Inline6 06-09-2011 07:23 PM

I definitely think that CF is going mainstream, BUT.......

....at least the member base tends to be comprised of hard working, dedicated invididuals (...rather than the posers usually associated with the mainstream crowd).

etidd01 06-15-2011 11:29 AM

Just joined a local CF. I've never been into weightlifting (boring IMO), but wanted to add something to complement my training for a half marathon in October. Only signed up for 3 months, so we'll see how it goes.

BMW_Matt 06-15-2011 08:07 PM

Good for it. Not a fan but there is more than one way to skin ze cat. I will say i do like it more than p90x, but otherwise meh. :dunno:

DylloS 06-15-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW_Matt (Post 13280188)
Good for it. Not a fan but there is more than one way to skin ze cat. I will say i do like it more than p90x, but otherwise meh. :dunno:

Yeah it's totally different. Have you done many of the p90x workouts? I did the arm one today and I wanted to die lol

BMW_Matt 06-15-2011 08:57 PM

Nope, I am not interested in the 'toning' associated with it or basically anything to do with it - maybe except for the abs.

I do know Maryland State Police uses CrossFit in their academy, so if I decide to go with them I'll be doing it one way or another :thumbdwn:

Hartge50 06-15-2011 11:19 PM

I actually tried crossfit one time and it was one of these special events. The event was called "Fight Gone Bad". That isht was serious!! I think it was 5 or maybe 6 different exercises which you had to finish in 15mins and do as many reps as possible and jump from one exercise to another with 1 minute rest in each 5/6 exercises. 3 rounds and you're guaranteed to be exhausted.

etidd01 06-16-2011 08:15 AM

Anyone care to share their reasons for not liking CF? Just curious.

Glight 06-16-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etidd01 (Post 13281544)

Most of the criticism I see relates to the lack of progression in their programming and that it creates people that are "jack of all trades, master of none."

They call it a strength and conditioning program.... I'd just call it a conditioning program.... at least thats what I use it for.

I do dedicated strength work with CF type workouts thrown in for conditioning.

dwass325 06-16-2011 11:10 AM

It's definitely picking up steam. I know some people who are not the type to get dirty, but who got into and LOVE crossfit.

The good thing about crossfit is that it is what you make of it. The bad thing is that it's so open that you get these workouts where it's like "do a million pushups and run five miles" as if that's well-rounded.

rohde88 06-21-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwass325 (Post 13282043)
The good thing about crossfit is that it is what you make of it. The bad thing is that it's so open that you get these workouts where it's like "do a million pushups and run five miles" as if that's well-rounded.

:rofl::rofl:

I like it, but not enough to drop $175/month at my local box.

Its fun to change it up, I enjoy the balance exercises and the tempo is great if you're traveling and only have a hotel gym.

I think it will fade just like zumba, macarena and all those other workout gimmicks.

At the end of your life, people who work hard in exercise will be fit, people who are unmotivated will be less fit.

M3Inline6 06-21-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartge50 (Post 13280828)
I actually tried crossfit one time and it was one of these special events. The event was called "Fight Gone Bad". That isht was serious!! I think it was 5 or maybe 6 different exercises which you had to finish in 15mins and do as many reps as possible and jump from one exercise to another with 1 minute rest in each 5/6 exercises. 3 rounds and you're guaranteed to be exhausted.

FGB was the first CF WOD that I ever completed as well.

I was at the CF Regionals at CSULB this past weekend. Lots of good competition, and one of the guys from L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. is currently in 2nd place. There was an unaffliated athlete, Jeff Bridges (..1st place at the Regionals), who came in and broke a world record. He left the Regionals affliated with a team based out of San Diego.

M3Inline6 06-21-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etidd01 (Post 13281544)

I don't dislike CF, but I prefer the body builder's approach to building muscle/strength. You could say that aesthetics are my priority.

fugarza 06-21-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3Inline6 (Post 13299867)
There was an unaffliated athlete, Jeff Bridges (..1st place at the Regionals), who came in and broke a world record. He left the Regionals affliated with a team based out of San Diego.

Josh Bridges and he's out of CrossFit Invictus here in SD. He's always been with Invictus. That guy is a complete machine. Every Team guy that I've seen do CF just have a different mentality of how to push themselves that normal people just can't find. I guess going through Hell Week gives you a different mentality of what your mind is capable of making your body do.

M3Inline6 06-21-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugarza (Post 13299936)
Josh Bridges and he's out of CrossFit Invictus here in SD. He's always been with Invictus. That guy is a complete machine. Every Team guy that I've seen do CF just have a different mentality of how to push themselves that normal people just can't find. I guess going through Hell Week gives you a different mentality of what your mind is capable of making your body do.

Ahhh, Josh. My bad! :thumbup:

Yeah, he is a beast for sure!

Born Again 06-21-2011 05:44 PM

My work sponsors our crossfit 3 days a week

I do my free weights in between and have been making results though my weight lifting took a hit and I can't lift as much :(

DylloS 06-28-2011 11:08 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6_QK...ature=youtu.be

Glight 06-28-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 13324204)

The first two people in that video are one of the main things that I truly dislike about crossfit.