E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   need some random answers please... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=849857)

epistaxis2008 06-09-2011 08:49 PM

need some random answers please...

First off I feel like a retard...I've been here for months and just finally found where to post a new thread.

Ok so I have a 2002 330ci I had brake pads and rotors brand new when I bought it 11 months ago with about 127,000 miles and it has 131,00 now and has squealed regardless of the parts being replaced, I even went back to the dealer after 3 weeks and had him put another set of pads and no difference. I also tried brake silencer silicone spray and still no help to make the noise go away. It only happens when holding lightly on the brake at low speeds like when coming to a stop at a far red light.

I ordered a set of ceramic pads and would like some additional info before I replace em again this weekend.

thanks to all who can help!!!

---***sorry for the title saying random questions I am going to end up making each question a new post to get better results***---

ac_2007 06-09-2011 08:59 PM

Pads aren't the only braking component that needs to be changed. Ever think your rotors may be nearing the end of their life?

And pads should have been a DIY, they're easy enough.

epistaxis2008 06-09-2011 09:10 PM

"Ok so I have a 2002 330ci I had brake pads and rotors brand new "

==

they were destroyed, very noticable without even bending over to take a close look so I requested the dealer to replace them before I bought it, then when I went to pick it up they were brand spankin new, nice n shiny n beefy...the pads n rotors were both bone at the time of purchase at about 127,000 miles the pads redone at about 1,000 miles pater cuz I figures they did something wrong, but the noise never left so I then figured they must have used cheap non conforming materials to save money since it was coming form their pocket and not being added to my purchase price

ac_2007 06-09-2011 09:15 PM

This was my guess, cheap materials..

A family member spent $170 for pads & rotors all 'round instead of the traditional $800-900 at the dealer. 18 months later they are still holding up, but they have been squeaking for a few months already.

epistaxis2008 06-09-2011 09:23 PM

squeaking sux, people think a frickin bus is coming

I can even hear mine sometimes over my radio, with the windows up and with the heat or a/c fan on...

drives me mad, it better be solved with these pads

ac_2007 06-09-2011 09:27 PM

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...mw-brakes.aspx

Next time buy OEM or brembo/zimmerman

epistaxis2008 06-14-2011 07:50 PM

I did the pads sunday n they r fxckin awesome now...I've never heard such quiet brakes, they are ceramic, chamfered, slotted pads with rubber shim silencers on the back and I used liquid aluminum seize stop on the backing as well. I found em on advanceautoparts dot com and they were on sale and they gave me an extra discount cuz I was a first time buyer with a new online purchase acct.

also I have had my abs, brake, and dsc lights on, on my dashboard for over 6 months now but I was too lazy and waiting for good weather to investigate it, plus I didn't really wanna start dishin 100's to new abs sensors and wiring...turns out those abs jumpers would've been a waste anyway cuz a tiny spot of corrosion on the wire coming out of the abs connector box behind the tire on the inside of the wheel well was cut into and has a gap in the copper inside the wire, so I jumped it and taped it up and started it up, drove ten feet and the lights all reset themsleves and went out... I swear I almost shxt myself...I was so pumped to have something actually work and get accomplished lately it hasn't been so lucky with my car...I guess one step at a time.