E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   2003 e46 engine mounts. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=850502)

handpainted 06-13-2011 03:57 PM

2003 e46 engine mounts.

So I'm needing to replace my engine mounts from their oem's. I'm wondering if the urethane engine mounts are better than the oem hardened rubber mounts.
What I'm looking for is something that will reduce vibration and prolong other effected components with in the same system.

Any suggestions or advice. Right now I'm thinking if i buy oem hardened rubber mounts that I'll regret that I hadn't installed the urethane mounts.

-matt

TxZHP04 06-13-2011 04:10 PM

Urethane engine mounts will only increase vibration. The stock fluid filled rubber engine mounts are the best at reducing vibration so you'll want to stick with stock. If you don't have an M and want something slightly stiffer with minimal increase in NVH, you could go with the stock mounts from the M3.

Rob43 06-13-2011 04:22 PM

^

+1

aggieE46 06-13-2011 04:29 PM

M3 mounts make a great upgrade and they're economical.

I noticed a tad more vibration, but it felt like I got more feedback from the car. I really like them.

OrientBlau 06-13-2011 04:30 PM

Get direct OEM stock replacements. You wont be disappointed.

The_Don 06-13-2011 04:38 PM

I agree with the recommendations to go with stock m3 motor mounts. I did this myself in January, and I am very pleased so far. They helped balance out my upgraded transmission mounts. But, even if I didn't do the transmission mounts I would have gone with the m3 mounts. Urethane motor mounts will transfer a ton of vibration to the cabin. They are really only for if your car is purpose built for the track or autocrossing.

handpainted 06-13-2011 05:51 PM

Very cool, well I think then I'll be going with the M3 Mounts for my 325i. Any advice with rear differential mounts?? I like the idea of urethane being how its helped out so much with my trailing arms, front lower control arms, and with my sway bar. (helped in the way of reduction of noise and an increase of the nice ride.

The_Don 06-13-2011 06:39 PM

Go with the Meyle hd rear diff mount. I am not sure about subframe mounts. I don't have any experience with solid ones and haven't done that much research on them yet.

I_Miss_My_///M 06-13-2011 06:50 PM

I agree with everyone on going with OEM M3 mounts, but with a slight difference; get e9x M3 mounts. I just installed them in my 330Ci lastnight, and really like the improvement.

handpainted 06-13-2011 06:58 PM

Well I'm not able to find Differential mounts from "meyle" for my car (2003 325i m54)

TxZHP04 06-13-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handpainted (Post 13272325)
Well I'm not able to find Differential mounts from "meyle" for my car (2003 325i m54)

http://store.bimmerworld.com/meyle-h...unt-p1239.aspx

The rear mount is the only one which normally fails.

McSpeed 06-13-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_Miss_My_///M (Post 13272301)
I agree with everyone on going with OEM M3 mounts, but with a slight difference; get e9x M3 mounts. I just installed them in my 330Ci lastnight, and really like the improvement.

What's the difference? ^

I didn't notice a difference going from stock to E46 M3 mounts, except that the engine sat higher up.

+1 on the Meyle rear diff bushing - it's solid rubber instead of fluid-filled. The only difference I noticed was no more thump on hard decel. (the stock one was blown)

I_Miss_My_///M 06-13-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McSpeed (Post 13272522)
What's the difference? ^

I didn't notice a different going from stock to E46 M3 mounts, except that the engine sat higher up.

+1 on the Meyle rear diff bushing - it's solid rubber instead of fluid-filled. The only difference I noticed was no more thump on hard decel.

Well, considering my stock mounts had 127,313 miles on them, I can feel a difference. And the e9x M3 mount is a different part number than the e46 M3, so I'm guessing the e9x mount is a bit more durable since it has 414hp to hold.

Regardless, either M3 mounts will be a step up from the stock M54 mounts, and perfectly capable of handling your m54b25 OP.

handpainted 06-13-2011 11:02 PM

Nice lol
but yes thank you for the link, I'll be for sure replacing them in the month.

Chris-alfonso 06-13-2011 11:40 PM

+1 on the e9x M3 mounts. I notice a lot more feedback but it could also be since my mounts were split in 2.

Blocked Out 06-14-2011 12:13 AM

E46 M3 or E9x M3 mounts depending on which ones cost less as either will do the job just fine on your particular car.

BMW also makes performance mounts which they call Gruppe N mounts. They are solid rubber (NOT urethane) and are supposed to be the absolute perfect mounts for our cars but they cost an arm and a leg, literally. Some aftermarket companies have duplicated the Gruppe N mounts for a fraction of a cost and they do the same thing.

Poly engine mounts arent necessary for a daily driver, but some people like them.

TxZHP04 06-14-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blocked Out (Post 13273265)
E46 M3 or E9x M3 mounts depending on which ones cost less as either will do the job just fine on your particular car.

BMW also makes performance mounts which they call Gruppe N mounts. They are solid rubber (NOT urethane) and are supposed to be the absolute perfect mounts for our cars but they cost an arm and a leg, literally. Some aftermarket companies have duplicated the Gruppe N mounts for a fraction of a cost and they do the same thing.

Poly engine mounts arent necessary for a daily driver, but some people like them.

I run the Bimmerworld mounts which are essentially the Group N mounts. Great mounts but an expensive bit of overkill for a 325. For those wanting the ultimate in isolation, I'd still stick with stock - these do transmit a fair bit of NVH, especially at startup. I run them to handle the extra torque produced by my TS SC'er and I actually like the extra little bit of noise and vibration they transmit (unlike poly motor mounts which drove me crazy).

McSpeed 06-14-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 13273829)
I run the Bimmerworld mounts which are essentially the Group N mounts. Great mounts but an expensive bit of overkill for a 325. For those wanting the ultimate in isolation, I'd still stick with stock - these do transmit a fair bit of NVH, especially at startup. I run them to handle the extra torque produced by my TS SC'er and I actually like the extra little bit of noise and vibration they transmit (unlike poly motor mounts which drove me crazy).

Any idea how the Bimmerworld mounts compare to either of the M3 mounts?

TxZHP04 06-14-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McSpeed (Post 13273866)
Any idea how the Bimmerworld mounts compare to either of the M3 mounts?

As far as I know, the M3 mounts are still fluid filled. The Bimmerworld and Group N mounts are solid rubber. Turner claims the Group N mounts are 30% stiffer but don't indicate what this is relative to. I'm sure the BW mounts are in the same ball park as far as stiffness. I can tell you that my car literally jumps to life when started and there is more noise and vibration transmitted than is generally found acceptable on any new BMW (kind of reminds me of an exhaust upgrade). I've haven't run either of the M3 mounts in my car but I think it's safe to say these motorsport mounts are significantly stiffer than anything produced by BMW for street use.

FWIW, I have some compression resistance data for a couple of different stock mounts that was provided to me by a manufacturer so I'd rather not post up the graph but the older M3 mounts look to be roughly 10% stiffer than the 330 mounts (the variation isn't 100% linear).

handpainted 06-14-2011 09:43 AM

I'm excited to get the Bimmerworld Trans mounts, and the m3 engine mounts that's for sure! I'm hoping for some decent weather to get some great shots of my car to post. "Blocked Out" your car is looking very nice! I'm looking at getting a new hood and m3 style front bumper and rear bumper later. But I'd like to increase my hp beforehand.
Any good suggestions on increasing hp for my 325i? I had a friend tell me to just drop a m3 motor in.