E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   E46 buzzing noise (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=851216)

Liam.attwood 06-16-2011 03:20 PM

E46 buzzing noise

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

i have noticed a buzzing noise coming from the engine bay.. i have located the culprit, i have a pic *below*

Can anyone tell me what this box is that is buzzing (blue) and can anyone confirm that the red circel'd area is the oil seperator?

i have been told that a faulty oil seperator causes oil loss.. that is my problem.. are these two things (in pic) joined, and will replacing the oil seperator (red circel'd area?) stop this buzzz. thanks.

maurer 06-16-2011 03:53 PM

The box is the DISA valve. If its buzzing like you say its broke and needs to be replaced. It will make your CEl come on if it isnt on already. They run around $200. It's purpose is to raise the low and midrange torque "and" raise the top end power output. It's a valve that opens or closes intake ports depending on the load. Its really easy to change...theres a ton of videos on youtube that shows you step by step how to change it. Good luck!

maurer 06-16-2011 03:55 PM

Almost forgot....the part you have circled in red is part of the DISA valve....not the oil seperator. Use the search function up top and find out where the oil separator is.

Liam.attwood 06-16-2011 04:31 PM

ok thanks looks like its getting expensive lol.. just out of interest, i have read up that if you put a bag over the oil filler and it sucks in, your oil seperator is shot... mine does suck in, but could this be down to the 'DISA' or is it definitly the oil seperator. thanks

dmax 06-16-2011 06:05 PM

You should have some suction, just not a lot.

Also, you know the ccv is right behind the disa, and it wouldn't surprise me if it does buzz when it's failed a certain way. It makes a chewbacca noise, why not buzzing?

Just doublecheck your assumptions before you buy a disa. I know they fail, but I also know mine hasn't...though my and everyone else's ccv has failed after so many miles.

I wish there was a better test for ccv failure than the sucking bag!

Liam.attwood 06-17-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 13283769)
You should have some suction, just not a lot.

Also, you know the ccv is right behind the disa, and it wouldn't surprise me if it does buzz when it's failed a certain way. It makes a chewbacca noise, why not buzzing?

Just doublecheck your assumptions before you buy a disa. I know they fail, but I also know mine hasn't...though my and everyone else's ccv has failed after so many miles.

I wish there was a better test for ccv failure than the sucking bag!

Me too... so the ccv = oil seperator? and it is behind the DISA... someone told me the oil seperator was deeper in the engine (under the disa if you like)

apparantly if it sucks in, then the oil seperator is shot? im just wondering if its sucking in because the DISA is shot.. or are they both at fault (getting expensive :facepalm:)

Drewfus2101 06-17-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam.attwood (Post 13285145)
Me too... so the ccv = oil seperator? and it is behind the DISA... someone told me the oil seperator was deeper in the engine (under the disa if you like)

apparantly if it sucks in, then the oil seperator is shot? im just wondering if its sucking in because the DISA is shot.. or are they both at fault (getting expensive :facepalm:)

Yes, Crank Vent Valve is the oil seperator. It is under the intake manifold, burried under there. So I wouldn't say it's just behind the DISA.

I always heard the best way to know if it was bad, is when you turn the car off, if you hear the loud chewbacca noise. Not the mild 'whoosh' noise, but a loud noise. There is a video on here somewhere. I've never heard of a buzzing sound associated with the CVV.

The crankcase 'sucking' won't have anything to do with the DISA.

I knew my DISA was bad when I pulled it out. It has a flap that is held open (or maybe closed) with a spring. The DME will close it as needed. Just pull it out, and make sure the spring isn't broken. It should be real obvious. BUT, if it's buzzing, I guess the problem could be electrical related with the DISA.

Liam.attwood 06-17-2011 12:05 PM

ok thanks, just to confirm,

As my filler sucks air in (quite alot), the oil seperator (ccv) needs replacing?

and the DISA may have a broken spring or something broken inside causing this noise.. hopefully not elecrical.

thanks for the help :thumbsup: