E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Diff Blew Up! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=856888)

titan320ci 07-13-2011 01:22 AM

Diff Blew Up!
 
Hi guys, so i have been a little too enthusiastic with the steptronic recently when i had a custom s/s back box added, and destroyed my diff! i have managed to get a good replacement 3.23, the original was 3.38. i've trawled through all the threads, but want to know will the acceleration loss be very noticeable? the 320 2.2 motor is only 170hp :tsk:

BTW, taken advice form you guys and having the front dropped 55mm and the rear 30mm!!

bwallace530 07-13-2011 01:28 AM

How did you blow the diff up?

mkodama 07-13-2011 01:28 AM

The different diff will probably be noticeable. On the positive side you might get slightly better mileage when cruising on the freeway over long distances. The bad thing is I doubt you do much freeway cruising if you live in London. :rofl:

titan320ci 07-13-2011 01:31 AM

I was just racing around like a lunatic, and the car started to make a nasty noise and judder each wheel revolution. So i stopped and called the auto club, and had the worst confirmed. thank god, i found a good replacement part on ebay for 175.00. I think the diff must have not been in the best condition anyway, but i sealed its fate by ripping the sh*t out of it!

titan320ci 07-13-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkodama (Post 13372030)
The different diff will probably be noticeable. On the positive side you might get slightly better mileage when cruising on the freeway over long distances. The bad thing is I doubt you do much freeway cruising if you live in London. :rofl:

LOL! worst fears confirmed! Having said that, i am looking for a garage to swap my mother's 325i motor with my 320ci, and then supercharge!:4ngie:
but this is when funds allow :cry:

Rob43 07-13-2011 02:09 AM

The 3.23 Diff is a 4.5% loss, you'll feel it a little.

Question: what tire size do you run front & rear ?

titan320ci 07-13-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob43 (Post 13372127)
The 3.23 Diff is a 4.5% loss, you'll feel it a little.

Question: what tire size do you run front & rear ?

I guess i'll have to take the hit, its not that bad i guess. tyre size is standard actually, maybe i can get the car chipped until i engine swap and s/charged.
thanks for the calculations though!

Jim Murphy 07-13-2011 09:45 AM

Did you ever change the diff lube per the "good" maintenance schedule?

Jim

RockLee 07-13-2011 10:00 AM

Well at least you will have a higher top speed. That you will probably never reach. lol

Lemonsqr 07-13-2011 10:05 AM

wow, I thought diffs on a stock car would be bullet proof on the E46......

titan320ci 07-14-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemonsqr (Post 13372716)
wow, I thought diffs on a stock car would be bullet proof on the E46......

It turns out that the diff I ordered will only easily fit a 325ti model, so have returned the diff and paid an additional 70 for a 3.38 item. so there will be no acceleration loss after all, but another 48 hours wasted!
i've only had the car since april, so can't say for sure if the diff lube was ever changed or looked after, but this is something i will be rigorous with myself now. but so far including the springs being changed at the sametime (could have done myself really) this episode is costing nearly 500!. but hey, these cars are worth spending on :lmao:

bwallace530 07-14-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titan320ci (Post 13375827)
It turns out that the diff I ordered will only easily fit a 325ti model, so have returned the diff and paid an additional 70 for a 3.38 item. so there will be no acceleration loss after all, but another 48 hours wasted!
i've only had the car since april, so can't say for sure if the diff lube was ever changed or looked after, but this is something i will be rigorous with myself now. but so far including the springs being changed at the sametime (could have done myself really) this episode is costing nearly 500!. but hey, these cars are worth spending on :lmao:

Where did you order from?


Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

titan320ci 07-14-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwallace530 (Post 13375855)
Where did you order from?


Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

ebay bmw parts specialist based in manchester, excellent service!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use