E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rust on rotor (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=857021)

ausanada 07-13-2011 05:20 PM

Rust on rotor
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, it's me again.

I got my brakes and rotors changed a week ago and they looked good and shiny, but it's been raining over here and the rotors now have a lot of rust on them (I haven't been driving). I drove a few miles but there's still some rust on the rim and the area near the nuts. Do I just use CRC Brakleen and scrub it off?

It rained last night and now the side where it makes contact have rusted again! :bawling:

See pic!

OrientBlau 07-13-2011 05:25 PM

This must be your first car as a 17 yr old?

EDIT:

Is this the family car?

5ynd1cat3 07-13-2011 05:25 PM

I used to take the rotors off, wire brush the area down to knock all the surface rust off, tape off the surface that comes in contact with the pads, and paint the rest with a high-temp engine paint. Once I did that, my rotors never rusted again.

Rubenk 07-13-2011 05:28 PM

Dont worry about it. Only affects the appearance.

ausanada 07-13-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrientBlau (Post 13374532)
This must be your first car as a 17 yr old?

EDIT:

Is this the family car?

It's mainly for groceries on weekends. Public transit is decent here.

ausanada 07-13-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerMooch (Post 13374535)
I used to take the rotors off, wire brush the area down to knock all the surface rust off, tape off the surface that comes in contact with the pads, and paint the rest with a high-temp engine paint. Once I did that, my rotors never rusted again.

Thanks, I'll try it when I do my rear brakes/rotors.

Shanealan 07-13-2011 05:33 PM

Yeah once the rotors are exposed to water they will show a little surface rust.
Even after a car wash you will see it.
Nothing to be worried about.

:P

5ynd1cat3 07-13-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanealan (Post 13374562)
Yeah once the rotors are exposed to water they will show a little surface rust.
Even after a car wash you will see it.
Nothing to be worried about.

:P

Definitely nothing to be worried about but if you're picky (like me!) then there is an option to combat the unsightly appearance of rusted rotors. :thumbsup:

TopazBlu02 07-13-2011 05:42 PM

No biggie. Just drive around the block and the rust will be gone.

M3Nick 07-13-2011 07:04 PM

If you don't like rust around those areas like on the "hats", then you are going to have to clean and paint like someone said. Good luck.

maurer 07-13-2011 07:10 PM

WoW! Better get that rust off there quick! The rust will eat all the way through the rotor...when it does that your wheel will fall off while your driving. Id get the rust off and the rotors painted pronto! :rofl:

LivesNearCostco 07-13-2011 07:21 PM

Some aftermarket rotors are plated or coated on the hats, edges and inside the vanes to reduce rusting in those areas not touched by the pads. I don't know how it works. Bought a set from UUC Motorwerks but haven't installed them yet.

jdstrickland 07-13-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ausanada (Post 13374508)
Hi all, it's me again.

I got my brakes and rotors changed a week ago and they looked good and shiny, but it's been raining over here and the rotors now have a lot of rust on them (I haven't been driving). I drove a few miles but there's still some rust on the rim and the area near the nuts. Do I just use CRC Brakleen and scrub it off?

It rained last night and now the side where it makes contact have rusted again! :bawling:

See pic!

Don't sweat the small ****. This is nothing.

OrientBlau 07-14-2011 11:50 AM

Rust is so scary to some, they dont even drive their car in the rain... :tsk: :rolleyes:

I know a guy who wont drive his second hand 8 yr old RX300 in the rain. Makes no sense to me.

killj0y 07-14-2011 11:55 AM

mmm rust...I live in Texas and rust is a theme here lmao

Lusticles 07-14-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrientBlau (Post 13377199)
Rust is so scary to some, they dont even drive their car in the rain... :tsk: :rolleyes:

I know a guy who wont drive his second hand 8 yr old RX300 in the rain. Makes no sense to me.

I would never again drive an RX300 in any type of inclement or even non-sunny weather. :eek: The guy has the right idea, even if his reasoning is to not rust his brakes.

killj0y 07-14-2011 12:41 PM

why wouldn't you? I mean I'm sure the car was designed to withstand a little rain... It's not a permanent convertible is it?

Lusticles 07-14-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killj0y (Post 13377442)
why wouldn't you? I mean I'm sure the car was designed to withstand a little rain... It's not a permanent convertible is it?

Rx300 is an SUV, and I totaled mine because of buildup in it's ABS sensors causing the ABS to fail. It's actually a known problem, it happens due to snow/ice buildup, mud & dirt, etc.

killj0y 07-14-2011 01:15 PM

why not regularly just clean the abs sensors? Most E46 fanatics have prob had that same problem and cleaned their sensors to clear the brake dsc lights. I'm sure it's even easier on an SUV lol.

Lusticles 07-14-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killj0y (Post 13377611)
why not regularly just clean the abs sensors? Most E46 fanatics have prob had that same problem and cleaned their sensors to clear the brake dsc lights. I'm sure it's even easier on an SUV lol.

Because before the accident I was not aware that there was a problem.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use