E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do these headlights need adjustment? (Halogen Reflectors) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=861202)

computerwhiz1 08-03-2011 10:44 AM

Do these headlights need adjustment? (Halogen Reflectors)
 
1 Attachment(s)
I know that halogen headlights are nothing compared to projectors, but come on. I have driven other cars with halogen headlights and they preform much better. I have had some people tell me that BMW headlights are made to point low from the factory so people don't shine them to high and blind other drivers, but man, these headlights aren't good for much. I end up driving with my brights on most of the time (when appropriate of course). So, look at the picture below and let me know what you think. As good as it can get, or needs adjustment? I can post up better pictures if needed.
Attachment 411399

afstud 08-03-2011 10:49 AM

please post a much better pick and one thats the correct orientation, but from what i can see, id say yes, and maybe the bulbs arent sitting right in the housing... mine werent when i got it and now there perfect.

computerwhiz1 08-03-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afstud (Post 13441694)
please post a much better pick and one thats the correct orientation, but from what i can see, id say yes, and maybe the bulbs arent sitting right in the housing... mine werent when i got it and now there perfect.

I'll post up a good pic tonight, once it is dark again. And Im 99% sure the bulbs are seated correctly as I recently changed them out and everything seems to be locked into place good.

Lusticles 08-03-2011 10:53 AM

Bad lenses can affect light output

jcns 08-03-2011 11:54 AM

if your lights were straight before replacing the bulbs, your new bulbs are not seated correctly.

dmax 08-03-2011 01:59 PM

Make sure they're seated, get new lens for $80 (think I got mine from rmeuropean...perfect fit).

And, you know, they're adjustable.

Set up against a wall at night on level surface and adjust them as best you can...other drivers will let you know how you did!

You know those white plastic gears you see? Turn in the center with allen wrench. In front is up and down, on the side is right and left.

HTH

computerwhiz1 08-03-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcns (Post 13442018)
if your lights were straight before replacing the bulbs, your new bulbs are not seated correctly.

They have been messed up even before i changed the bulbs.

computerwhiz1 08-03-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 13442527)
Make sure they're seated, get new lens for $80 (think I got mine from rmeuropean...perfect fit).

And, you know, they're adjustable.

Set up against a wall at night on level surface and adjust them as best you can...other drivers will let you know how you did!

You know those white plastic gears you see? Turn in the center with allen wrench. In front is up and down, on the side is right and left.

HTH

The lenses look to be in pretty good shape. They are not oxidized and they only have a few marks on the from road debris or something. I'm planning a big weekend of DIY this weekend, so I will see what I can do as far as adjusting the headlights then. The only problem is the instructions i found required one to back their car of 25 feet from a wall on a level surface. Such locations seem to be in short supply around where I live.

dmax 08-03-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerwhiz1 (Post 13442561)
The lenses look to be in pretty good shape. They are not oxidized and they only have a few marks on the from road debris or something. I'm planning a big weekend of DIY this weekend, so I will see what I can do as far as adjusting the headlights then. The only problem is the instructions i found required one to back their car of 25 feet from a wall on a level surface. Such locations seem to be in short supply around where I live.

You can use a home depot wall; there will be flat places around. Also, although there is an exact center of the light pattern, I also know it can be a pain to get exact. Again, just let other drivers tell you when it's too high or wide!

afstud 08-03-2011 02:40 PM

the bulbs can be seated two different ways and will seem like there fit properly but there is only ONE correct way to seat them in the socket, the notch of the H7 bulb (where it has the square part on the metal base) that should be in between the two prongs that are further apart, when i took mine out they were the opposite and looked just like how yours do. and when the bulbs are mounted correctly they should make a very nice cutoff with a slant on the passenger side like this __/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use