E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ZHP Steering Rack Mod (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=862392)

czechchamp 08-08-2011 06:06 PM

ZHP Steering Rack Mod
 
I finally got rid of the piece of $hit overboosted steering in my '01 330i. Picked up used '04 330i ZHP rack & pinion for $250 and had a stealer do the install + alignment.
It's a night and day difference; the new rack feels solid and the car drives like a BMW should. Best mod I've done thus far :excited:

The ZHP rack & pinion part # 32136757650.

Alex323Ci 08-08-2011 06:16 PM

could you show us the invoice for the part number on that please. that part number does not come up on any BMW parts database i can find.

further more it's been kinda figured out that the zhp rack is the same as any late model 330. maybe even as early as 09/01

great upgrade non the less :thumbup:

TerraPhantm 08-08-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex323Ci (Post 13460376)
could you show us the invoice for the part number on that please. that part number does not come up on any BMW parts database i can find.

further more it's been kinda figured out that the zhp rack is the same as any late model 330. maybe even as early as 09/01

great upgrade non the less :thumbup:

To order it, you'd have to use part number 32136757651 - the steering racks are only available remanufactured, and BMW usually adds '1' to the part number for remanufactured parts.

czechchamp 08-08-2011 07:26 PM

^+1

If you're buying new, the part number is 651. I bought it in Htown junkyard, donor car was '04 330i sedan. The part number on my rack ends with 650.

Alex323Ci 08-08-2011 08:05 PM

which is the same as any other post 9/01 ('02+) 330 steering rack as i said :dunno:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&fg=10&hl=20

Alex323Ci 08-08-2011 08:07 PM

and many others even the 318 diesel wagon in europe

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....=on&series=E46

TX78666 08-08-2011 08:08 PM

OP's sig lists a 2001, so it sounds like an upgrade to me. :clap:

czechchamp 08-08-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex323Ci (Post 13460769)
which is the same as any other post 9/01 ('02+) 330 steering rack as i said :dunno:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&fg=10&hl=20

Not sure what you're getting at. If you're buying new, you'll have to get 651 as there's no option for 650 this was discussed above. I've read the threads on the ZHP rack and there's no clear consensus if ZHP rack is different than reg 330i. All I'm saying is that I bought used '04 rack from ZHP donor car and the difference in feel is huge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX78666 (Post 13460786)
OP's sig lists a 2001, so it sounds like an upgrade to me. :clap:

My car was born on 08/2000...the rack makes it feel like a brand new ride ;)

Alex323Ci 08-09-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czechchamp (Post 13461272)
Not sure what you're getting at. If you're buying new, you'll have to get 651 as there's no option for 650 this was discussed above. I've read the threads on the ZHP rack and there's no clear consensus if ZHP rack is different than reg 330i. All I'm saying is that I bought used '04 rack from ZHP donor car and the difference in feel is huge.

I'm saying there is no ZHP specific rack. There is however an upgrade to those in the USA with a 323/328/325/'01 330. Your post makes it sound like there is a special ZHP rack which would give the wrong impression to others. Especially those with '02 and up 330s and any of the others just needing an '02+ 330 rack.

But as i said it's a great upgrade for your '01 330

Surge709 03-26-2012 10:29 AM

Do you know if this rack will fit any e46 or are there mating issues with some of the older ones?

Blocked Out 03-26-2012 11:00 AM

Rack will fit any E46

E RaK 03-26-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blocked Out (Post 14226581)
Rack will fit any E46

Including xi???

Mango 03-26-2012 04:58 PM

Does XI, non-XI specify a different rack? If not, then yes it will fit an XI. Use REALOEM.

Gheybe 03-26-2012 05:36 PM

I thought the ZHP had a different steering rack.

E RaK 03-26-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 14228019)
Does XI, non-XI specify a different rack? If not, then yes it will fit an XI. Use REALOEM.

Just checked, RWD and XI use the same part numbers. However, the rack for a car with the manual transmission has a different P/N from the auto transmission racks. Anyone know the differences?

SeanC 03-26-2012 06:08 PM

Part numbers can be same/different on ZHPs/non-ZHPs for all care. Truth is ZHP rack is quick, non-ZHP is not. As long as the donor is a true ZHP, it's rack is the one you want.

Hrvat 03-26-2012 07:04 PM

Shouldn't have paid the dealer to do it. Swap is super easy on non-XI E46's

Alex323Ci 03-26-2012 07:21 PM

There is NO ZHP special rack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanC (Post 14228355)
Part numbers can be same/different on ZHPs/non-ZHPs for all care. Truth is ZHP rack is quick, non-ZHP is not. As long as the donor is a true ZHP, it's rack is the one you want.

this is absolutely FALSE :banghead:

it has long been proven and accepted (even among the zhp forums) the racks are the same in the post '01 330s.

you can wish all you want, but the fact about the rack is it's the same. please don't contribute to mis-information. there were many things posted about the 330 performance package in it's release that were for all those current 330s. this is where the mistake was made and myth created.

this however has nothing to do with the Original Posters rack, which was a pre-Sept 2001 build. therefore his rack swap is the later 330 rack and is infact different from the earliest 330s. so yes he would feel a difference upgrading to the changeover 330 rack & pinion

TerraPhantm 03-26-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanC (Post 14228355)
Part numbers can be same/different on ZHPs/non-ZHPs for all care. Truth is ZHP rack is quick, non-ZHP is not. As long as the donor is a true ZHP, it's rack is the one you want.

They both have 13.7:1 ratios - I've seen this confirmed a number of times. It's generally accepted that the better feel of the ZHP's steering is due to the control arms.

nk_zhp 03-26-2012 09:18 PM

+1 on steering ratio is not any different on ZHP.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use