E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   SMG Studdering Jerky While Auto Down shifting (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=867932)

chetured 09-02-2011 07:39 PM

SMG Studdering Jerky While Auto Down shifting

Ok so I looked High and Low - for this solution. I even went to stealership and got a diagnosis. My Car was not acting right, as I was downshifting automatically as I was appraoching a traffic light, the car seemed to studder, jerk going from 3-> 2, feels as if you pressing a clutch halfway while you are coasting to a stop. No one seems to talk about this probelm on any forum.

After 6 months today -
My friend suggested I change the salmon realy and for 8 bucks from the stealer and 2 minutes to pop it in - my smg is silky smooth -like the day she was born - If in doubt change the relay !!!

chetured 09-04-2011 07:47 AM

Salmon relay- is feeling better and better, I did a smg reset as well and after driving for a few hours even better

325iSMG 03-11-2012 08:57 PM

I had similar problem I'm my SMG. My was mainly taking off from a dead stop in the automatic setting. Car would stutter and jerk. I would have to let off or ease in into the throttle. Changed the oil (don't believe in "lifetime" oil) and cured the problem. Will look into the relay too just to change new. Thanks for the thread info!

chetured 09-23-2012 08:07 PM

solved FOR real NOW I LOVE MY M

NOW I LOVE MY M - it feels new. For the life of me I could nto understand how such a popular car felt so shitty - now I know what it is supposed to feel like !

HOLDING both paddles did not fix this at all I had to do the full adaption as descsribed. I finally solved my problem - I really looked at so many things.. and I wish someone had suggeted this on the forums earlier. So anyway I bought myself and EBay usb to OBD2 cable, and ran the inpa,carsoft ...etc programs and got them to work.

After doing so I finally mustered up the courage to do an SMG readaptation procedure (no bleed or anything mechanical). The softawre and system did it flawlessly, did some purge and ran through the gears. 5-10 minutes

BTW - MAG BMW of Dublin Ohio could not diagnose let alone understand my problem ... thry should read this.

When I did the SMG adapataion reset it fixed the following problems for my 2003M3 SMG

1. The 1st to 2cnd juttering rough feeling clutch (thought I needed a new one)

2. The release and loose ratttling sound when auto downshiting from 3rd to 2cnd, while coasting etc...

3. The THUD sound when in '5' mode and ripping through the paddles hard. I am expecting it to come back as I drive hard and after re-adaption occurs. But a smoother more normal sounding thud.
:excited:

chetured 09-23-2012 08:08 PM

BTW the salmon relay did nto realy fix my issue..... the adapation did.

chetured 09-30-2012 03:25 PM

Also the thud is gone now even in level 5 slamming the gears without letting up on the accelerator.. Don't know I I mentioned this already