E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Food Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   JJR4884's Meatballs and mashed potatoes (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=871647)

JJR4884 09-20-2011 02:01 PM

JJR4884's Meatballs and mashed potatoes

Wowwwwwwww its been a while.

Didn't take any pics until the dish was made, but i'll make this as detailed as possible.

Homemade meatballs with a corn/scallion mashed potato and a roasted tomato cream sauce

Meatballs:
1.20 lb ground beef, 80/20
1 egg
Eyeballed about 3/4 cup of bread crumbs (italian flavored)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1 small yellow onion, 2 cloves of garlic, both chopped and sweated before mixing
1/4 cup (est) of thinly sliced scallions
Little bit of EVOO
Few sprinkles of parsley and basil

Mix it up very well, let the meat sit for a bit in the fridge.

Potatoes: Cut up 3 russett potatoes in 1/8s, boil until cooked, drain ALMOST all of the water out. Added 3tbsp of butter, salt, pepper, some milk. Mash just a couple times with a potato masher, then use a big wooden spoon for mixing for the remainder... i like keeping some small whole pieces of potato, so i'll only mash a tad. Towards the end, i put about a 1/4 cup of slice scallions (use the greener part sliced thin) and a half cup of corn. Mix well... adds great flavor and texture to the potatoes.... the corn was awesome too.

Before you start all of this, get some tomatoes, quarter them, and roast them in the oven. In the mean time, get 1 cup of water and bring to a boil, add a half of beef/chicken bouillon (or whatever the ratio to 1 cup calls for) and reduce that down a little bit. Turn to simmer, add some light cream (1/2 cup maybe), wisk frequently, and have that thicken up a tad... tomatoes took about 30 min at 400 in the oven, so do them ahead of time and then add them to the sauce whenever... if the sauce needs a little thickening, add s little bit of flour...

Meatballs- form into balls the size of.. idk... half way between a golf ball and a tennis ball. I fried them in a little bit of veggie oil in a cast iron skillet. Let them burn a little bit, that deep golden brown is where its at. You'll have to cook the meatballs on 4 or so sides until the entire outside of it is fully crusted over with deliciousness. Word to the wise, use two tablespoons to flip, pick up, move, etc the meatballs. One spoon to push the meatball on, the other the push/guide it. If you use tongs or a spatula, good luck... you are going to either squeeze the shiit out of them causing them to split, or just make a mess using a utensil that is anything bigger than a spoon.

FYI I cooked this on med heat on an electric, i would suggest med-high on a gas stove.

Add your mashed to the dish, meatballs on the side, sauce, and then a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar

viola

pics coming soon, my phone is taking wayyyyyyyy too long to upload pics to photobucket

JJR4884 09-20-2011 02:25 PM

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...919_204734.jpg

DylloS 09-20-2011 04:41 PM

man fuuck. I want this now too.

chivo328 09-26-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJR4884 (Post 13602189)
FYI I cooked this on med heat on an electric...

I don't know how you do it man.

I HATE, I mean I FUKCING DESPISE trying to cook on an electric range. When traveling for work somtimes I used to stay at Extended Stay America or a place with a kitchenette but they were invaribly those fukcing electric jobs with the coiled burner...I don't even bother anymore.

Do you have the glass top type?

DylloS 09-26-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chivo328 (Post 13621896)

I HATE, I mean I FUKCING DESPISE trying to cook on an electric range. When traveling for work somtimes I used to stay at Extended Stay America or a place with a kitchenette but they were invaribly those fukcing electric jobs with the coiled burner...I don't even bother anymore.

I have glass top electric. I never really have issues.

accolade 09-27-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 13622468)

+1 here too. I always used gas too until recently, like any other range, once you get used to it's easy.

JJR4884 09-27-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

my gf's apt is all electric, so ya... gotta use it. i prefer gas obviously, but electric isn't that bad once you get used to it. typically if you turn the head down 1/4 to 1/3 of what you should do on a gas stove, you'll be fine

i use med high for steaks on that stove and they come out perfect

chivo328 09-27-2011 09:26 AM

I've only cooked on the antiquated exposed metal coil type electrics. My experience has always been that they heat unevenly, and it would take a lot longer to drop the temperature when you needed to. I'm guessing the newer glass top versions have come a long way.

DylloS 09-27-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chivo328 (Post 13623716)
I've only cooked on the antiquated exposed metal coil type electrics. My experience has always been that they heat unevenly, and it would take a lot longer to drop the temperature when you needed to. I'm guessing the newer glass top versions have come a long way.

yeah I used to have those in my house and they were awful

OrisuE46 09-30-2011 10:43 AM

looks good!

DylloS 09-30-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrisuE46 (Post 13636067)
looks good!

you look good. what?

JJR4884 09-30-2011 04:40 PM

we all look good naked

what

huyner328 10-25-2011 11:01 AM

I add bout 20% ground pork to my mixture that has similar spices for that extra juicy-ness :)

evolved 10-25-2011 11:22 AM

In for later.

ride365 10-25-2011 01:53 PM

THREADJACK

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 13622468)

Quote:

Originally Posted by accolade (Post 13623567)
+1 here too. I always used gas too until recently, like any other range, once you get used to it's easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJR4884 (Post 13623618)
my gf's apt is all electric, so ya... gotta use it. i prefer gas obviously, but electric isn't that bad once you get used to it. typically if you turn the head down 1/4 to 1/3 of what you should do on a gas stove, you'll be fine

i use med high for steaks on that stove and they come out perfect

Quote:

Originally Posted by chivo328 (Post 13623716)

I've used old-school coil type burners my whole life with no complaints. I would say I cook more than the average person. I've tried gas and conductive heating, but I like what I'm used to. I've discussed this with my dad, who cooks more than any non-professional I know. He cooks a lot, including a 5-7 course meals about once a week typically which he does by himself using electric. His opinion is that electric heats up food/cookware faster, and that's his main priority. I've seen a scientific article to back this up, but I don't have a reference.

With electric, even-heating is not much of an issue with quality cookware. If I have to compensate for it, I must do it subconsciously because I never give it much thought. As for instant flame adjustment, I simply move off the heat if I need to. I know of the "shortcomings" with electric only from people selling or justifying expensive gas ranges. No complaints from me though.

JJR4884 10-25-2011 01:58 PM

oh yea forgot to mention.... typcially i would have done a mix of pork, beef, lamb, veal.... choose 2 or 3 out of that list for ground meat