E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   convertible boot lid (cover) blistering... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=872988)

gbakerkingston 09-26-2011 06:46 PM

convertible boot lid (cover) blistering...

my convertible boot lid cover is blistering, with an oily substance coming from under it in patches..... Anyone else have this problem? Cause?

aerosurfer 09-27-2011 08:45 AM

under it you say.....

make sure its not dripping down from a hydraulic top cylinder that is leaking. I had my right (pas side) bow tension cylinder leaking ever so slightly. It would drip onto the boot creating an oil spot. didnt get bad enough to do any permanent damage, but had to wipe it and the cylinder every time I put up the top, its since been replaced

AlbertW 16 09-27-2011 04:06 PM

:pics:

gbakerkingston 09-27-2011 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pics.....Attachment 418817

Attachment 418818

aerosurfer 09-28-2011 08:45 AM

your second picture is exactly where my hydraulic oil was dripping from the cylinders, I would imagine the first pic is where it leaks after you put the top up.

Its your Bow tension cylinder. To look, open the top part way, with the back window folded up and look at the exposed cylinders. they should be covered and seeping oil out. Unfortunately, that cylinder means the top has to come off and headliner removed to take it out. Its also the most expensive one to replace.

I did this back in March. I used Klaus Wit @ Tophydraulics.com He has been doing Merc SL repairs on the same thing. He will rebuild the cylinders. For the top work I actually used the Dealer. They only charged me 4 Hours worth of labor to dissassemble and remove the cylinders. Mailed them off to Klaus and Had the dealer put it back together. The process and stress of the repair was a royal PIA, but the actual results were worth the money

gbakerkingston 09-28-2011 04:42 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your help! I will look into this... Looks like I might be looking at my winter project. November 1st she goes into the garage for winter... Lots of time to poke away at the repair... A a step-by-step instruction guide would be a silver bullet! I'll poke around the internet and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.... G.

Further to suggestion to call Klaus, I did. He was super helpful (see http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/index.html & phone number 541-902-3214). I will be sending cylinders there for service. I'm told that they rebuild and upgrading thousands of convertible cylinders per year, and they replace the original seals with chemically much more stable ones.

Here are some resources for other readers to help in removing roof cylinders.

gbakerkingston 12-15-2011 08:39 PM

To finish off this thread, I removed the two cylinders with reference to above pdf files. It was very straight forward - no problems at all. My experience with Top Hydraulics was excellent. Klaus returned my remanufactured cylinders, and the installation was equally easy. At Klaus's recommendation, I drained the hydraulic oil reservoir and used new fluid per my post http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...857&highlight= and the roof works great. Very happy with the whole process.

If your roof's hydraulic cylinders need repair, I'ld recommend Top Hydraulics with complete confidence.

klixtokw 09-30-2012 10:39 PM

fluid filling

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbakerkingston (Post 13629826)
Thanks for your help! I will look into this... Looks like I might be looking at my winter project. November 1st she goes into the garage for winter... Lots of time to poke away at the repair... A a step-by-step instruction guide would be a silver bullet! I'll poke around the internet and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.... G.

Further to suggestion to call Klaus, I did. He was super helpful (see http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/index.html & phone number 541-902-3214). I will be sending cylinders there for service. I'm told that they rebuild and upgrading thousands of convertible cylinders per year, and they replace the original seals with chemically much more stable ones.

Here are some resources for other readers to help in removing roof cylinders.

GBAKER,
great resources . Thanks! On the one for fluid management it says to remove the hydraulic container and place it horizontally and then remove the plug and fill.
How can this be done if the container has been removed? And if its laid horizontally would it not lose the fluid. Any info would be very appreciated.

TXS2000 10-01-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbakerkingston (Post 13625837)
Here are a couple of pics.....Attachment 418817

Attachment 418818

I've got this exact problem with my drivers side. I never thought about it being a hydraulic cylinder

gbakerkingston 10-02-2012 04:29 AM

Klixtokw:
The hole at the plug is the only potential spill source. Simply keep the hole up (while on its side). To fill with hydraulic fluid, I used a large syringe, which can be purchased at a pharmacy. If you don't use a syringe, use a small funnel.

Gregbmw47 04-20-2014 10:58 AM

Convertible top and 2000 323 CI is using hydraulic oil I don't know where it's leaking or why you choosing please help me out !!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

taylor192 04-20-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregbmw47 (Post 16113654)
Convertible top and 2000 323 CI is using hydraulic oil I don't know where it's leaking or why you choosing please help me out !!!!

We cannot help with such limited information. Read the sticky about the convertible hydraulics then go check your top to see if it's leaking in the common spots. Otherwise take it to a shop.