E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   EML, Traction control, and Brake light all of a sudden came on *HELP* (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=878943)

PRDesignsTony 10-09-2011 05:08 PM

EML, Traction control, and Brake light all of a sudden came on *HELP*
 
Hey guys, I was driving to church with my wife and out of nowhere my EML, Traction controll, and brake light come in yellow (not the ebrake light in red). I do have an engine light on due to a bad intake boot, has a leak in it, dnt really feel like replacing it since im going to be getting a K&N intake.

The check engine light is for bank 1 and bank 2 being to lean which is due to the boot. This is the first time the three lights came on, I do drive a manual, if that matters. I felt no difference in ride quality, when i noticed the lights on i quickly pulled over, shut the car off than turned it back on, everything went away, i drove to church and back home (about 10-20 miles) without them coming back on.

Has anyone run into this problem? is it something to be worried about? could it possibly be a faulty sensor or maybe even my intake boot leak?

I did search and found a thread with the op having the same problem as me, but nobody had a solution.
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...light+comes+on

help would be appreciated, thanks.

sigep 10-09-2011 06:18 PM

Happened to me also.....took it to the dealer and I think i got screwed. I paid like $1200.00. I believe they replaced some brake sensors and did some other crap. I hope you have a different experience

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRDesignsTony (Post 13683526)
Hey guys, I was driving to church with my wife and out of nowhere my EML, Traction controll, and brake light come in yellow (not the ebrake light in red). I do have an engine light on due to a bad intake boot, has a leak in it, dnt really feel like replacing it since im going to be getting a K&N intake.

The check engine light is for bank 1 and bank 2 being to lean which is due to the boot. This is the first time the three lights came on, I do drive a manual, if that matters. I felt no difference in ride quality, when i noticed the lights on i quickly pulled over, shut the car off than turned it back on, everything went away, i drove to church and back home (about 10-20 miles) without them coming back on.

Has anyone run into this problem? is it something to be worried about? could it possibly be a faulty sensor or maybe even my intake boot leak?

I did search and found a thread with the op having the same problem as me, but nobody had a solution.
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...light+comes+on

help would be appreciated, thanks.


PRDesignsTony 10-09-2011 07:33 PM

what exactly did they replace? it would say on the invoice

PRDesignsTony 10-09-2011 07:49 PM

so ive been doing a little more research and a few people suggested it could be a wheel speed sensor or the alternator. But nobody has actually diagnosed it, im surprised this issue hasn't be resolved

russian_e46 10-09-2011 08:05 PM

This is a very common issue on the e39. Usually ends,up being a speed sensor or you will need to rebuild your ABS module.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer

PRDesignsTony 10-09-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russian_e46 (Post 13684035)
This is a very common issue on the e39. Usually ends,up being a speed sensor or you will need to rebuild your ABS module.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer

but why the ABS? my ABS light is not on

TrickTizzle 10-09-2011 08:25 PM

EML, Traction control, and Brake light all of a sudden came on *HELP* Oh No!!!!!

kondzik 10-09-2011 08:25 PM

dsc module?

PRDesignsTony 10-09-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickTizzle (Post 13684085)
EML, Traction control, and Brake light all of a sudden came on *HELP* Oh No!!!!!

Thank you.......


Quote:

Originally Posted by kondzik (Post 13684086)
dsc module?

Hope it's not, not a cheap fix, when the lights come back on, i'll try to take it to BMW or an indy shop and have them diagnose it.

kondzik 10-09-2011 08:51 PM

heard that bmw service in sarasota sucks, you may wanna take it to fort myers

PRDesignsTony 10-09-2011 09:24 PM

Ive only dealt with their parts department and WOW what a bunch of idiots. one time i wanted to buy a bmw tool, called them up, the guy told me to go online and find him a part number for a BMW tool so he could see if they had one in stock. I was like your kidding me right? you work at bmw and your telling me to go online and find a part number for a part you make. Fort myers is about an hour away, really just gonna try my luck with the sarasota one, their only 20 min away.

swaggerwagon 10-09-2011 09:32 PM

can happen with a DSC throttle plate test.
or a DSC malfunction. as long as it shuts off it shouldnt be a problem. sometimes these cars do that. we clear those codes alot from cars

PRDesignsTony 10-09-2011 09:36 PM

ya i hope its nothing, just a false alarm, but if it happens again, ill take it to bmw. I've been noticing that many people with this problem have had the code p0174 which is the bank 1 and 2 being to lean.

SweTurbo 10-09-2011 09:54 PM

Jesus all this guessing...

EML light comes on when the DME cant control the engine propery, you said your intakr boot was broken so my thoughts are that your TB is seized(a motor tries to move it , if it cant then the wire will move it and you will have an EML light)

As the throttle is part of the xSC system that light (and brake light) will come on aswell.

That the light isnt permanent is usually a sign of this happening.

Bimmer Dude Xi 01-23-2012 07:26 AM

well this problem is happening to me again.... first time 2 years ago alternator was bad... low voltage supplied....
this time the alternator was bad again and the voltage kept spiking between 11 to 17 volts... but the problem is still occurring... after reading a few articles about this issue, i read that the throttle body valve sticking/seizing might be cause of it and also the TB is tied into the abs and dsc systems... i did notice that my idle is lower than normal.. i'm hoping cleaning the TB or maybe replacing it will fix this issue... also will be checking for a ripped boot...

Ivanhoe 03-06-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi (Post 14007747)
well this problem is happening to me again.... first time 2 years ago alternator was bad... low voltage supplied....
this time the alternator was bad again and the voltage kept spiking between 11 to 17 volts... but the problem is still occurring... after reading a few articles about this issue, i read that the throttle body valve sticking/seizing might be cause of it and also the TB is tied into the abs and dsc systems... i did notice that my idle is lower than normal.. i'm hoping cleaning the TB or maybe replacing it will fix this issue... also will be checking for a ripped boot...

Any update in your problem ? did you resolved ?

DannyDownUnder 08-09-2012 05:06 AM

Same problem on my 2002 325i
 
Good afternoon.
I bought my first BMW 2002 325i about 3 months ago.Its done 95000kms. After the first month, it started giving me EML Traction and Brake lights while driving. when these lights come on, the car would lose power and wont be able to drive. It became very often that I had to take it into a independent BMW specialist. Scanned the code, and it came up as jammed throttle body.

So they recommend to replace the throttle body. (the old throttle body in there was still looking very clean, to my understanding, the previous owner may have replace the throttle body about a year ago).

After the new throttle body was fitted, the car drives well for about 2 weeks and it start having the same problem again, but less often. Took it in again the have the code scanned. scan result came back like before: jammed throttle body.

This time they think possibly the ASC/ABS module is faulty, which trigger the throttle body. The computer never show any code relating to the ABS module.

Anyone with such knowledge, experiences, please HELP.

Thank you.

redbull 325is 08-09-2012 07:12 AM

sounds like your icv is bad to me

DannyDownUnder 08-09-2012 10:09 PM

Is it worthwhile trying a new ASC/ABS module ? as they are fairly expensive. What are the symptoms of a faulty asc/abs module ?

Thank you

B3AM 08-10-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyDownUnder (Post 14641973)
Is it worthwhile trying a new ASC/ABS module ? as they are fairly expensive. What are the symptoms of a faulty asc/abs module ?

Thank you

The same thing happened to me about 4 years ago, I got EML, TC and Brake light (yellow), engine went into limp mode. It happened in hot weather and once the engine heated up the light would go on. Turned out it was ASC/ABS control module and Throttle Body dying. I had no choice but to replace both...total cost $3,800AUD ($2,300 for ASC/ABS module programmed and $1,500 for new throttle body).

ASC/ABS module has to be programmed to your car by a dealer as the immobiliser and all other crap runs though it, so it's not a DIY fix.

I hope this isn't the cause of your problem, but based on my experience I'm guessing it most likely is.

On the side note, the ASC/ABS module apparently developed a hairline crack on the circuit board, and as the engine would heat up it would expand severing the connection between resistors which would make the dashboard light up like x-mas tree. Also this caused the throttle body to short circuit and die (based on what the Stealership told me).

Good luck.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use