E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Vorshlag engine and tranny mounts - lots of vibration? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881689)

bigjae1976 10-23-2011 02:50 PM

Vorshlag engine and tranny mounts - lots of vibration?

For awhile, I've had the Vorshlag red engine mounts with UUC black tranny mounts w/enforcer cups.

The car did have some additional NVH but it was definitely acceptable for a dual use street/track car.

I just installed the matching Vorshlag orange tranny mounts and now I get a significant increase in vibrations after 3k RPM. I torqued the mounts until they were squeezed a little.

Did I fock something up or is this normal?

darksideracer69 10-23-2011 03:01 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about. But are they harder? I have Ireland yellow motor mounts and uuc red transmission mounts with the enforcer cups.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer

azzy989 10-23-2011 05:55 PM

sounds like how it is in my car... vibrations are a little ridiculous in the 3k rpm region but they go away once you get higher in the rev range

driving on the highway is a little annoying... but i just turn the music up lol

aggieE46 10-23-2011 09:01 PM

I've heard that the Vorshlag mounts (like any poly mount) are pretty harsh.

TxZHP04 10-23-2011 11:17 PM

Check with Vorshlag but if you compressed the poly transmission mounts, they may be slightly over-torqued. You might try backing the nuts off just a little to see if that helps the vibration. Their mounts are a fairly stiff poly and of a bolt through design so you should expect a fair bit of vibration.

bigjae1976 10-24-2011 08:35 AM

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like i should go back to my UUC mounts.

Iceman00 10-24-2011 03:10 PM

Use OEM M3 mounts or Group N replicas.

bigjae1976 10-24-2011 10:00 PM

Not sure if it was the vorshlag tranny mounts or combination of vorshlag engine and tranny mounts, way too harsh for the street. I mean not even close.

I put my UUC mounts back in and still have my vorshlag engine mounts.

phamine 10-25-2011 09:18 AM

I've tried poly engine mounts. Went right back to M3 mounts a few days later.The whole chasiss vibrated.

If it was a track car it would have been fine, but definitely not for a daily driver.

bigjae1976 10-25-2011 10:05 AM

The vorshlag red engine mounts, for me, are right on the edge of being manageable for a DD. My car is dual purpose so the positives outweigh the negatives. If strictly a street/dd car? I would have gone back to rubber.

Putting poly tranny mounts in addition to the poly engine mounts probably wasn't a good idea.

darksideracer69 10-25-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjae1976 (Post 13734141)
The vorshlag red engine mounts, for me, are right on the edge of being manageable for a DD. My car is dual purpose so the positives outweigh the negatives. If strictly a street/dd car? I would have gone back to rubber.

Putting poly tranny mounts in addition to the poly engine mounts probably wasn't a good idea.

Really? I like vibrations :eek:

TxZHP04 10-25-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjae1976 (Post 13734141)

The transmission mounts can transmit quite a bit of vibration on their own, although most say it's best to match the stiffness of the engine and transmission mounts. I briefly ran UUC red poly mounts (non bolt through version) and there was too much vibration for me (and their red poly with enforcer cups caused insane levels of vibration) although at the time I had them paired with stock motor mounts. I ended up with the black UUC mounts with enforcer cups and then later upgraded from stock motor mounts to BimmerWorld's solid rubber motor mounts. This combination is pretty much perfect for me.

bigjae1976 10-25-2011 11:11 AM

I was very surprised at how much vibration was transmitted. I will probably go with your driveline setup down the road.

SL Blak Soldier 10-25-2011 12:30 PM

interesting.... i'm running ireland eng. poly mounts for my motor and trans and i don't have any big issues. it does vibrate the car on idle a bit, but nothing crazy. Maybe the ireland mounts are a softer poly?

darksideracer69 10-25-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier (Post 13734589)
interesting.... i'm running ireland eng. poly mounts for my motor and trans and i don't have any big issues. it does vibrate the car on idle a bit, but nothing crazy. Maybe the ireland mounts are a softer poly?

I had the same setup until my transmission mounts failed :(

Although with my current setup Ireland motor mounts and uuc red transmission mounts, bolt through design and enforcement cups. I get vibration on cold starts, but after that it's very manageable for me as a dd.

Although I did dd a 83 blazer with 39/15.50/15 boggers for like a year. So maybe I'm a little more used to it.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer

LivesNearCostco 11-02-2011 07:01 PM

Just put in Bimerworld poly (but not bolt-through) transmission mounts with enforcer cups. Surprisingly no (or barely noticeable) extra vibration at idle. However, with car in gear there is definitely noticeable extra vibration from roughly 1000-2000RPM, or maybe it's from 1500-2500 RPM. Just drove it from the shop to work, so will drive it for a few days and see if it changes and whether it becomes annoying on long drives. This is with stock motor mounts that are 18 months (and 15,000 miles) old. Now glad I didn't go for bolt-through poly transmission mounts, since this car is 90% street, 10% track.

Previously had UUC black tranny mounts without enforcer cups. They had slightly more vibration than stock, but less than the Bimmerworld mounts (with enforcer cups). I'm guessing the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts would feel similar to the UUC back mounts, though I haven't tried the RE ones.

Art Bimmer 11-02-2011 11:30 PM

No one went with OEM and or Stock replacement? Why not?

bigjae1976 11-03-2011 11:40 AM

Probably no good reason to be honest. But some people are willing to withstand increased NVH for a little less drivetrain movement. Also, I would like to believe that my poly engine mounts and UUC black tranny mounts w/ enforcer cups will last longer and be a lower maintenance item. Only time will tell.

Honestly, staying OEM is not a bad idea. Likely a pretty good idea.

LivesNearCostco 11-03-2011 11:42 AM

The PO of my car replaced one tranny mount with OEM. Why did I go with stiffer after-market ones? Three reasons:
1) Afraid of money-shift on a track day
2) Suffer from irrational desire to spend money modifying car
3) Sucker for well-written vendor web pages (BimmerWorld, UUC, Vorshlag, Rogue Engineering, etc.)

Edit, and #4, yes like BigJae, I thought poly ones would last longer. I did replace my broken motor mounts with OEM ones, which have been fine for 18 months and 15,000 miles. Though next time I'm planning on solid rubber (not bolt through) motor mounts.

SL Blak Soldier 11-03-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Bimmer (Post 13761557)
No one went with OEM and or Stock replacement? Why not?

if i were to go oem, i'd go with m3 oem.