E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   :( Convertible top stops half way and light blinks red (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=882479)

dsmer323 10-26-2011 11:18 PM

:( Convertible top stops half way and light blinks red

My top stopped working like a month ago haven't gotten diagnosed yet by a technician , but before I do I would like to get some input from you guys:).my friend with a gt1 scanned it for codes and it shows (POSITION SENSOR VSW 4.2 ERROR). What can that mean? Or be? Perhaps a sensor? When I close the top manually I can't open it with the switch. But when I open it completely manually the top then starts to work when pressing the switch, the lid opens the softop starts extending to close position but then stops half way and light starts blinking read again:( any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

SpadezMarquise 10-26-2011 11:20 PM

Probably a sensor..i believe it had been covered before..but you can look for it..I'm sure stuff is out there

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer

dsmer323 10-26-2011 11:27 PM

Thanks, I did search before posting this thread but I couldn't find anything related to codes. I checked my hydraulic reservoir and it seems to be full. I also checked for blown fuses but everything looks okay. I'm. Guessing its a sensor too but don't know which one in particular. Maybe someone can point out which one with code I provided?thanks

dsmer323 10-27-2011 09:45 AM

Its has come to my attention that my rear defroster is not working either:(

ECSTuning 10-27-2011 10:47 AM

Does your battery have a full charge? Low voltage can cause all sorts of strange quirks. Also check out the post found HERE, he ran into an issue with the drive unit failing, which judging by our records is common.

Drive Unit
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/153330_x300.jpg

ECS Tuning

dsmer323 10-27-2011 11:09 AM

What I have noticed is that if I leave the key in the ignition in position 2(cluster lights on) for 3 to 5 min my battery gives out. Can it be that if my battery is on it's last leg the top won't function properly?and even if I have the car on?I'm going to get my oem battery tested at autozone today. Thanks for the input ecs tuning:) oh and I did looked into the drive unit and what's strange is that when I manually completely open the top the light stops blinking red. I can then close the top automatically using the switch but soft top stops half way as its retracting to close positon and the red light starts to blink again:(

ECSTuning 10-27-2011 11:10 AM

Give that battery a test, if it's on it's final leg than a new one might help out your top (and keep you from getting stranded with a bad battery).

ECS Tuning

dsmer323 10-27-2011 11:19 AM

Sure thing I will, thanks.

sfhondapilot 10-27-2011 12:13 PM

Are you trying to close the top without the car running (battery power only)?

Before my battery cr@pped out, I had to make sure the engine was running if I wanted to raise/lower the top.

dsmer323 10-27-2011 03:15 PM

normally I do it with the engine running. When the top gave out I remember having the engine on.

E46-Cabrio 10-28-2011 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Read this pdf file and check all the sensors, I think it's one of the Hall (angle) Sensors in the tension Bow.

Phoenix330ci 10-30-2011 06:53 PM

Ok I had a similar problem with the top going about half way down. Find my thread on here about it. But to save you some time, mine was the wire harness. There was a broken ground wire in the harness the runs the length of the vert roof. My break was in the front section just over the drivers side. I had an indy shop find and fix it after I read every thread on here, the pdf and even drew my own mapped out diagrams to the sensors. What they did (and still feel way over charged for) is found the broken wire and then ran a seperate around the broken spot and tied it in on each end. Something told me it was going to be in the harness but I didn't want to listen to myself. Anyway, a new harness I think is around $150. Doesn't seem to be hard to do, but would be time consuming.

The drive unit that ECS is talking about is probably not the problem unless you are hearing a series of popping noise (actually that started today on my car and I was just going to write a thread on how I think I may have fixed that.)

Oh Yeah, make sure that battery is good. I noticed really slow action with my top when the battery was running down and this was while the car was running. I don't put the top down too often without the car running because it sucks up some of that battery juice.

dsmer323 10-31-2011 12:48 AM

Thanks for the taking the time to help me I greatly appreciate it:) ill be inspecting my wires hopefully this week. So now its either the hall angle sensor or the wiring harness. ill be inspecting the wires first before I move onto the next expensive part, the sensor. Anywho ill keep you guys updated and let you know what I find, hopefully its either one.

savage33 02-01-2012 11:23 AM

did you ever find out what was the problem and how did you fix it?

dsmer323 02-01-2012 01:25 PM

No no yet, but I think it might be the angle hall sensor, its located on the rear driver side brracket mechanism, its bolted on an l shape bracket. If you do replace before I do let me know.

savage33 02-01-2012 02:01 PM

Did you ever figure out why your rear defogger isnt working?

dsmer323 02-01-2012 02:13 PM

I think it has to do with the sensor. I guess it somehow the hall sensor controls the defrosterfor for the rear glass. Why?did yours also stopped working?

fmzip 02-01-2012 06:13 PM

maybe this will help

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=790169

savage33 02-02-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmer323 (Post 14041273)
I think it has to do with the sensor. I guess it somehow the hall sensor controls the defrosterfor for the rear glass. Why?did yours also stopped working?

Yup! i had the same exact symptoms as you. the top went up half way and stopped. manually put it up and the light was just blinking until i drove it for a second. rear fogger stopped working shortly after.

savage33 02-02-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmzip (Post 14042114)

Nice post!!
Did this fix your top problems? did you have a rear defroster problem too?
Also what were your symptoms when is stopped working?