E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Engine running shakey (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=882867)

Dedney 10-29-2011 05:11 AM

Engine running shakey

OK, so here

Rob43 10-29-2011 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedney (Post 13747971)
OK, so here

OK, so here's what you want to do.

Dedney 10-29-2011 05:42 AM

Lol, not sure what happened..

OK, so here

Dedney 10-29-2011 05:42 AM

Wtf!! I copy & paste & nothing else is showing up.

Dedney 10-29-2011 05:45 AM

OK, so hereís the lowdown:

01 325i w/ about 140k miles on it. I bought it back in Feb of this year.
Back in probably May or June, I began running regular gas in it, trying to save that buck. I read several posts on the web where people said it shouldnít harm the vehicle. Last week, I finally got my first overtime check in over 6 months, so I decided to start putting premium in the tank.

That next day, I was driving it home & it began to shake & hesitate really bad & the check engine light came on. I went to Autozone & had them scan it. It came up w/ P1345: misfire on cylinder 2 w/ fuel cutoff.. So, I researched it & decided to start the cheapest & go from there. I put in a new plug. NGK 4 prong plugs were in it, so I went w/ another one of those. I still had the same issue, so I then swapped over the coils 1 & 2.. Still drove bad, so I went to Autozone to have them scan it agin.* This time, I got different codes, but it was for cylinders 5 & 6!!* WTF!!??* So, again, trying to start the cheapest, I went & got 2 more plugs.* I tried to drive it to work last night & it sounded like it didnít even want to shift!* Last night was the worst itís sounded yet..
So, now, I have 3 new plugs, Iíve put the coils back to 1 & 2ís respective cylinders & am wondering what to do next.* Iíve been researching testing the coils, & Iíll also be pulling those coils to check the boots.* But, seeing how this problem jumped from 2 to 5 to 6, Iím thinking it may be more of an issue than just the coils..
Anybody out there have any other suggestions?* I think I remember seeing something about the MAF or the CPS??
Thanks-

Rob43 10-29-2011 07:17 AM

Trying to guess at this over the Web......well I'm going with fuel & not ignition.
I'd do two things: 1) BG 44K Fuel Injector Cleaner, this is widely used at most dealers, I personally swear by it. You can get it on Ebay for about $16-$17 a can, or at a BMW / Mercedes dealer for $24-$30. I'd get 3 cans on Ebay & run 2 cans through it in one tank full.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BG-44K-POWER...item19c9b58609

2) New fuel filter.

Good luck.

Dedney 10-29-2011 08:37 PM

Thanks!! I'll probably order some. Just to let you know. This afternoon before I came to work, I thought I'd check the condition of the plug boots. They were all good. Some were kinda loose, & some would "pop" onto the plug. I started the car & it was idling horrible! Decided to drive it down the road. When I'd give it gas, it really bogged down bad & instead of accellerating, it was slowing down. Is there a way I can check/test the fuel filter, rather than just get a new one right away?

Rob43 10-29-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedney (Post 13749520)
Thanks!! I'll probably order some. Just to let you know. This afternoon before I came to work, I thought I'd check the condition of the plug boots. They were all good. Some were kinda loose, & some would "pop" onto the plug. I started the car & it was idling horrible! Decided to drive it down the road. When I'd give it gas, it really bogged down bad & instead of accellerating, it was slowing down. Is there a way I can check/test the fuel filter, rather than just get a new one right away?

Not that I'm a where of.

$44.66 on sale at Turner Motorsports
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-39...el-filter.aspx

Good luck.

Dedney 11-03-2011 11:13 PM

Fuel filter ordered. Hopefully I'll have it by Monday. Car is sitting on jackstands & Im forced to drive the mini van!!

aggieE46 11-04-2011 11:50 AM

They sell that BG 44k at the Nissan dealerships around here.

Dedney 11-06-2011 01:44 PM

Alright, now I'm hoping this gets easier... Filter arrived yesterday. I followed some instructions on youtube & pulled the fuel filter fuse prior to starting up. I got everything back together (fuse included), and now it wont start.. Is there a way that I'm supposed to be priming this or something??

SL Blak Soldier 11-06-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedney (Post 13771868)
Alright, now I'm hoping this gets easier... Filter arrived yesterday. I followed some instructions on youtube & pulled the fuel filter fuse prior to starting up. I got everything back together (fuse included), and now it wont start.. Is there a way that I'm supposed to be priming this or something??

make sure you didn't get the input and outputs mixed up on the fuel filter. the motor won't start if they are backwards. also since you pulled the fuse, make sure you prime the system a couple of times. do this by just turning the ignition on until you hear the fuel pump go on and then wait til it goes off. do that 2-3 times to make sure the lines are fully primed.

my parents 330 is having the same issue. maybe i should try some of that fuel cleaner.

Dedney 11-06-2011 02:28 PM

OK, thanks for the quick reply. I'll go check it out. I thought the way the hoses are lined up, that it would be kind of hard to put it back together wrong.

Dedney 11-06-2011 04:58 PM

Well, I flipped it both ways. Neither worked. I put it back to its first setup. It sounded like it wanted to start, but then went back to just cranking... WTF!?! A simple task like changing the filter & now it won't start!!?? I even double checked the fuse.

LivesNearCostco 11-08-2011 01:45 PM

When you turn ignition to "on" (2nd position" but don't try to start, do you hear your fuel pump making a faint whine under the right rear seat? With a new filter, could take several seconds of priming to re-pressurize the fuel rail. You could also look for the schraeder valve on the fuel rail, unscrew the plastic cap, cover with a rag and carefully press the valve center to see if you have fuel pressure. (Wear eye protection.)

Dedney 11-08-2011 02:56 PM

Just woke up for tonights shift. I'm off all day tomorrow, so I'll try that. I've even considered putting the old filter back on just to see if the car would start. I did blow through the old (very difficult) and the new one (very easy, no restriction).

MasterC17 11-08-2011 06:57 PM

Just put the key in position 2 for about 10 seconds, then off, then start. As for running 87 to save money, you're actually spending more because you will get worse gas mileage. Run the 91 and the car and your wallet will both be happier.

Dedney 11-08-2011 09:12 PM

Thanks for the input, Master C. I've been doing that too. Somebody suggested that I try & jumpstart it. Anybody here second that idea? Hoping ome of my father-in-laws mechanics can come over on Thurs. to help diagnose.

Dedney 11-17-2011 04:01 PM

Update:
Long story short, it was flooded. Finally got it started back up. Cleared the code & started it again. Missfire cyl #5. So, we swap 5 over to 3, clear the code & start it again. Missfire cyl #3... Coil has been ordered. Hoping it'll be here today or tomorrow.

Dedney 12-08-2011 05:10 PM

Just in case anybody out there is following:

I replaced all plugs, fuel filter & 2 coils. It was running bad when I would take off from a red light, then kick in & drive great!! I could feel the difference. But, like I said, it still ran shitty when taking off. There was no check engine light for about a week.

Now, yesterday it came back on. I scanned it & now it gave me the P-0128, low coolant temp, thermostat... Something like that. WTF!?!? Why does this problem go from coils to the thermostat?? Could my computer be making the car run bad from when it first started running like this?

Thinking of clearing the code & seeing if the check engine light comes back on w/ same code...