E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Australia (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   2001 318i sunroof (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884232)

peter.210 11-05-2011 08:12 AM

2001 318i sunroof

My sunroof is jamming up. It can only tilt up and down and doesnt go in to open up fully.

Some people have told me i need a new cassette?

Has anyone had the same problem or something similar and if so does anyone know of any good places to get it fixed?

Thanks

rodsfromday 11-05-2011 09:28 PM

Is it level when tilted up?

peter.210 11-05-2011 09:46 PM

Not 100%. And when its closed its not level. One corner is raised up a little bit. I think one rail/side is stuffed

fgin 11-06-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter.210 (Post 13770496)
Not 100%. And when its closed its not level. One corner is raised up a little bit. I think one rail/side is stuffed

Put some clear pics up. take a few from inside as well. Otherwise its hard to see what you're on about.

When I got my car the shade was not moving properly. I removed the glass and had a closer look and was able to fix it by replacing the plastic guides that run along the track. That was in 2008 and I open or tilt the roof almost daily unless its freezing cold. Have had no issues what so ever. I do regularly spray the tracks with lube which is a must if you want to maintain the roof mechanism.

///Pulo 11-06-2011 03:50 AM

i think i was quite lucky with my old car... i opened the sunroof every single time i got in the car.. never had one issue!

BMW//Blonde 11-06-2011 05:08 AM

New cassette will set you back at least a grand that was the case with my e36 318i and good luck finding anyone in the country to install it. Shonkiest piece of work on the entire 3 series the BMW sunroof is.

peter.210 11-06-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgin (Post 13771134)
Put some clear pics up. take a few from inside as well. Otherwise its hard to see what you're on about.

When I got my car the shade was not moving properly. I removed the glass and had a closer look and was able to fix it by replacing the plastic guides that run along the track. That was in 2008 and I open or tilt the roof almost daily unless its freezing cold. Have had no issues what so ever. I do regularly spray the tracks with lube which is a must if you want to maintain the roof mechanism.

ill take some pics tomorrow and post them up tomorrow. and my shade, ive taken that out. that completely came off the rails lol.

shannon1 11-06-2011 02:36 PM

Sometimes I'm actually glad I don't have a sunroof. :D

YGOAMG 11-06-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///Pulo (Post 13771138)
i think i was quite lucky with my old car... i opened the sunroof every single time i got in the car.. never had one issue!

Plus one ...*touches wood*

gueste46 11-06-2011 03:19 PM

You know, with digital technology today there is no reason why we don't post a video of problems like this. Not only would it make it easier to see and diagnose, but I could also say "Gee, I'm glad I don't have that problem on my car."

It also gives more members like me, who have no clue, an opportunity to give an opinion:)

peter.210 11-06-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantine (Post 13772123)
You know, with digital technology today there is no reason why we don't post a video of problems like this. Not only would it make it easier to see and diagnose, but I could also say "Gee, I'm glad I don't have that problem on my car."

It also gives more members like me, who have no clue, an opportunity to give an opinion:)

U kno what, thats a great idea. Ill do it when i get home this afternoon:)

gueste46 11-06-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter.210 (Post 13772135)
U kno what, thats a great idea. Ill do it when i get home this afternoon:)

I am glad to see that you look beyond the jokes and get the point :)

steve.k 11-06-2011 04:08 PM

mine does the same thing. the clips holding the sun shade are fkd and it jams up when going back. i had to pull the sunroof forward at the same time as pressing the button to bring it back to the closed position. i only tilt it up and down now..... There is a good DIY on replacing the clips. i think i will just take out the sun shade and the clips all together.

laurita_31 11-06-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgin (Post 13771134)

I changed my guides about a month ago since i had this issue but the hardest thing about the whole job is regulating the motor to the correct position... i spent about 1.5hours trying different postitions etc and its still not aligned 100%... The DIY on here shows how they did it but its so hard getting it right - i have to keep trying one day.. it works fine just doesnt sit quite flush atm. The worst DIY ive done yet... :ben:

fgin 11-06-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurita_31 (Post 13773191)
I changed my guides about a month ago since i had this issue but the hardest thing about the whole job is regulating the motor to the correct position... i spent about 1.5hours trying different postitions etc and its still not aligned 100%... The DIY on here shows how they did it but its so hard getting it right - i have to keep trying one day.. it works fine just doesnt sit quite flush atm. The worst DIY ive done yet... :ben:

Did it work fine before you changed the guides ? Did you remove the glass? Before I fitted it back I closed the roof and once it stopped at the correct position then fitted the glass to stay flush with the roof. The glass can be adjusted to stay flush before you tighten the the torx screws. Nothing more was needed. However if you need to reinitialize the roof motor then press and hold the switch in ”lift” for at least 15 seconds after it has reached the top. In case it doesnt lift up fully, then do the same and hold it for 15 secs and once it reaches the top then hold it for 1 more sec. That's it, done! :)

laurita_31 11-07-2011 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgin (Post 13773267)
Did it work fine before you changed the guides ? Did you remove the glass? Before I fitted it back I closed the roof and once it stopped at the correct position then fitted the glass to stay flush with the roof. The glass can be adjusted to stay flush before you tighten the the torx screws. Nothing more was needed. However if you need to reinitialize the roof motor then press and hold the switch in ”lift” for at least 15 seconds after it has reached the top. In case it doesnt lift up fully, then do the same and hold it for 15 secs and once it reaches the top then hold it for 1 more sec. That's it, done! :)

No my old motor burned out so i had to buy a new one. I removed the glass and changed the guides put it all together again but regulating the motor to do the right movement is soooo hard! You have to loosen the torx screws and and turn the manual control for the motor then i held the button for 15 secons - did this process many many times! It is really painful actually... :(

peter.210 11-14-2011 03:01 AM

ok so i finally got a chance to take some videos and pics of whats going on. sorry for the delay, been busy with work.

Videos
opening sunroof
http://youtu.be/kSbWBZhlCPM

tilting sunroof open
http://youtu.be/GMxXg4KssAw

closing sunroof
http://youtu.be/AvC2M26CuoY

Pics
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...feeb4d&theater

there is a description under the pic :)

thanks guys

///Pulo 11-14-2011 03:13 AM

fek that doesnt sound healthy

Toxx 11-14-2011 03:21 AM

My god man, that sounds horrid. Sounds like your motors jamming up or something..

peter.210 11-14-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///Pulo (Post 13796324)
fek that doesnt sound healthy

yep :(:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxx (Post 13796327)
My god man, that sounds horrid. Sounds like your motors jamming up or something..

one rail doesnt want to move i think so causing the motor to make that sound. been told need a new cassette lol