E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Vert Roof Hydraulic Oil (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=885857)

gbakerkingston 11-13-2011 03:38 PM

Vert Roof Hydraulic Oil
 
OEM Part number is 54340394395. There seems to be a much cheaper aftermarket product (which may even be the same producer) - FEBI Bilstien #02615 ZH-M.

Refer to http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._D18BD03A.aspx To be used as a "top up", to bring resevoir to required level.

Any feedback per personal use & validation of quality/performance vs OEM greatly appreciated.

jzwu 11-19-2011 05:28 PM

I know the oem fluid is some kind of mineral oil, so it is not some high tech stuff.

gbakerkingston 12-15-2011 08:49 PM

To finish off this thread, I researched this product more - and determined it was acceptable to use, vs OEM/official BMW product. I've replaced my existing fluid with this product, and all works fine.

fast2fresh 01-16-2012 01:12 PM

how do you add the fluid? Do you know how to manully retract the top cause my top will not retract electroniclly because there is no more fluid? Once you add the fluid do you have to reset the computer? My email is
fast2fresh@yahoo.com.

gbakerkingston 01-16-2012 05:54 PM

Refer to PDF files http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...988&highlight=
For manual retraction of roof.

Buy a large syringe at a pharmacy. Fill the syringe with fluid and deliver to reservoir via syringe. I found this method was best.

taylor192 10-25-2012 10:17 AM

Resurrecting an old thread.

I was wondering how much fluid I need. The BMW bottles are 250ml, do I need more than 1? My pump is almost empty.

taylor192 10-25-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbakerkingston (Post 13896021)
To finish off this thread, I researched this product more - and determined it was acceptable to use, vs OEM/official BMW product. I've replaced my existing fluid with this product, and all works fine.

Were you able to source it locally, or had to order?

Vandyinc 10-26-2012 04:57 AM

You shouldn't need more than 1. I thought i would need 2 to fill mine, but only used 1/2. the pump itself is inside that reservoir, so it takes less than you think.

taylor192 10-26-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandyinc (Post 14848373)
You shouldn't need more than 1. I thought i would need 2 to fill mine, but only used 1/2. the pump itself is inside that reservoir, so it takes less than you think.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Big Chris E46 07-29-2014 03:43 PM

Hydraulic Fluid Level Problems
 
Hi Guys
New on here wondering if anyone could answer the following:
Having problems with my hood going down. First started going down slow now struggles to go down without help. Bit that it struggles at is when the rear flap is up and the window section is not dropping down without a little push. Once going down it shuts away properly but will not close unless I turn the car off and back on again then the roof will shut fine. Have stripped the boot liner out to check the fluid levels. With top up/closed the level is sat in lower part of the circle. With the top down it is beyond the level and has filled the cylinder right to the top 9/10, this is not right as it should be sat within the the circle right?
I have inspected the rest of the car and roof there does not seem to be any fluid leaks. Any ideas would be great, I'm suspecting someone has over filled the reservoir, there was signs of someone had been in the area before as the motor insulation was torn. Any help would be great? :banghead:

taylor192 07-29-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Chris E46 (Post 16260186)
Hi Guys
New on here wondering if anyone could answer the following:
Having problems with my hood going down. First started going down slow now struggles to go down without help. Bit that it struggles at is when the rear flap is up and the window section is not dropping down without a little push. Once going down it shuts away properly but will not close unless I turn the car off and back on again then the roof will shut fine. Have stripped the boot liner out to check the fluid levels. With top up/closed the level is sat in lower part of the circle. With the top down it is beyond the level and has filled the cylinder right to the top 9/10, this is not right as it should be sat within the the circle right?
I have inspected the rest of the car and roof there does not seem to be any fluid leaks. Any ideas would be great, I'm suspecting someone has over filled the reservoir, there was signs of someone had been in the area before as the motor insulation was torn. Any help would be great? :banghead:

Your assessment is bang on. Hopefully overfilling the reservoir hasn't burned out the pump. Empty some and cross fingers.

Big Chris E46 07-30-2014 02:03 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. So do you think there is any point in replacing the hydraulic fluid for new? Does it lose it's power or ability to work? :thumbsup:

taylor192 07-30-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Chris E46 (Post 16260813)
Thanks for the quick reply. So do you think there is any point in replacing the hydraulic fluid for new? Does it lose it's power or ability to work? :thumbsup:

There is probably no point, although it never hurts to change up the fluids. I found my fluid was disgusting after 10yrs. I also had a leak so dirt and moisture were getting into the system.

If you buy the Mercedes fluid its only $12 a bottle, so why not!

TopHydraulicsInc.com 08-11-2014 07:04 PM

We are rebuilding E46 hydraulic pumps aka hydro units on a daily basis. The filtering in these pumps is not great, which makes it more important to replace the fluid from time to time. A good portion of these pumps fails on account of contamination. Contamination can wear out the pump's pistons and valves. The dark color in old hydraulic fluid is from tiny suspended particles in the fluid. Those are a mixture of oxidized or microscopic metal and decaying seal material.

Rule of thumb: if the fluid is dark, change it. Cleanliness is important when doing this.

The majority of the fluid is in the reservoir, but there is a good amount in the cylinders, lines, and valve block. If you want to get ALL fluid flushed, as opposed to mixing new fluid with old fluid again, then that involves a bit more work. Empty the pump's reservoir first, after that cycle the top manually to push the old fluid out of the cylinders (you will be sucking in air, but that's okay), and then refill with new fluid. At that point, it will take a few cycles to get all air out of the system. The system is self venting. You will need to refill the reservoir after some air has been expelled back into the reservoir from the cylinders. Do NOT run the pump continuously for more than two cycles, or your pump's electric motor will overheat. The electric motor is made for low duty cycles. Give it a half hour break before moving the top again. We get plenty of E46 hydraulic pumps p/n 54347025595 in with burnt out motors.

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/b...ulic-pump.html

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/diagrams/e46diagram.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use