E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   DIY Request:Getting Heated Seats / Defroster to remain on (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=889052)

Celery 11-30-2011 03:35 PM

DIY Request:Getting Heated Seats / Defroster to remain on

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

I've always been annoyed that the heated seats have to be turned back on every time you start the car. Is there any way to make it so that if the seat heaters were on when the car was turned off, they would turn back on when the car was started? While I'm at it, I'd like to do the same thing with the rear defroster as I am going to be adding a remote starter and it would be nice to have that going when I get to my car.

Thanks for any help!

Sweetness 12-08-2011 09:09 PM

there is no possible way. I've tried

Bemwe_03i 12-08-2011 09:14 PM

write to bmw to put this on their new cars

BMW-North 12-09-2011 04:56 PM

:hi:

MF325XI 12-09-2011 05:00 PM

When I was first test driving e46s one of the ones I tested, the defrost came on when you started the car when the outside temp was below a certain mark. Maybe you can have it coded that way?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

delmarco 12-11-2011 01:41 PM

Isn't that like a fire hazard!? and those elements draw a tremendous amount of battery power which is why they are super fused! Heated Seats have heft fuses on them. I didn't realize how power hungry heated elements were until I did a heated steering wheel retrofit in my car and almost had to use an extra inline fuse to keep it working properly.

It is also VERY important for heated elements to TURN OFF after the ignition is off. Which is why heated elements use a specific fuse section behind the ignition fuse in the fuse bay. So everything behind the ignition fuse MUST turn off with ignition otherwise the battery would die AND the car can catch fire overnight.

I won't even mess with that.

Arty 12-11-2011 05:11 PM

Yes the heated rear window can be programmed to come on automatically. You will need the appropriate software. On a 2001+ car it is technically possible for the heated seats to come on automatically as the LR322 can do it, however it's never been done that I know of on E46.

delmarco 12-12-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arty (Post 13882507)
Yes the heated rear window can be programmed to come on automatically. You will need the appropriate software. On a 2001+ car it is technically possible for the heated seats to come on automatically as the LR322 can do it, however it's never been done that I know of on E46.

yeah but he wants it to stay on all the time until he turns it off manually.

harman_1 12-13-2011 02:50 PM

I don't think he means all the time, I think he means just when he leaves it on after turning the car off.

I recently got a remote starter installed and had the installer check it out. He basically said that they are both controlled by computer chips as the wires are data wires, giving pulses. They aren't regular on/off wires so the remote starters can't be wired into them.

The only way would be to program them, or have someone create some sort of chip which would give it the required data signals to turn on... Or you could open the entire circuit up and try to wire into the button area? I have no clue...