E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   I want to lower my E46 touring and inprove the handling (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=890134)

bodge 12-06-2011 11:12 AM

I want to lower my E46 touring and inprove the handling

Hello

im into my 2nd day of owning a e46 touring and really enjoying the car.

I want to lower it. Ive come from the dub scene and over there handling is the last thing on there mind. scrapping on the floor and cheep ebay coilovers half the time.

I want to lower my car without upsetting the handling. Ive seen some ebay coilovers for around 200 but im pritty sure they will handle worse than my stock m sport surpension.

Id love to buy some top spec coilovers and set it up properly but this car is a stepping stone to a M3. just to last me while have have 9 points. so i don't want to spend to much on it.

So im looking at springs?

which springs are the best and give an improvement in handling, or at the very least don't make it worse.

I want to close up the arch gap so im thinking of a 60mm drop on the front and id like alittle less on the back. is this ok on the stock shocks without damaging them.

buget is around 200.

Pics would be great of peoples tourings with lowering springs so i can see the kind of stance acheaved :thumbsup:

just to add im not to bothed about ride confort. and would like it abit stiffer. its so smooth it doesn't feel anywhere near as fast as it is

Blocked Out 12-11-2011 11:35 AM

You must realize these following things:

-Ride height has nothing to do with handling in BMWs

-Springs have BARELY anything to do with handling in BMWs

-ebay cheap china sh1t will make your car ride like a 1988 camry

-BMWs arent vdubs and if you want to slam your car and put 11" rims with 205 tires then you got the wrong car

But if you really wish to improve the handling of your old BMW then you need to look into a set of new shocks, as thats whats gonna improve the handling.

sunsetcoast 09-21-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodge (Post 13865975)
So im looking at springs?

which springs are the best and give an improvement in handling, or at the very least don't make it worse.

I want to close up the arch gap so im thinking of a 60mm drop on the front and id like alittle less on the back. is this ok on the stock shocks without damaging them.

buget is around 200.

Well, I have the OEM sport suspension on my '00 Touring. Love it as a great combination of handling and ride. That said, 60mm is well over a 2 inch drop and the sport suspension is about 3/4" drop (roughly 20 mm) vs. the standard suspension.

ModBargains IV 09-21-2012 08:07 PM

If you want great handling, you need to get rid of your ebay coilovers get yourself a nice spring/shock combo or coilovers. I prefer coilovers because you have adjustments that you can fine tune. Some good coilovers that you might want to look into are ST V1 Coilovers or KW V1 coilovers.

-Frank

VG1134 09-21-2012 08:11 PM

A no no on eBay suspension crap.

illestminimike 10-01-2012 03:24 AM

Oh my god.