E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Passenger window stuck... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=891243)

chad h 12-12-2011 01:48 PM

Passenger window stuck...

I bought my 330 a few weeks ago and knew when purchasing that the passenger window was what the previous owner said was "off track". I assumed the regulator was out.

Last week, I followed one of the regulator DIY's, but i couldn't get the window down half way in order to line up the bolts. I could barely get it to move a 1/4 inch.

It seems like not many other people have this problem, and I'm pretty clueless as how to go about this. Ideas?

Thanks
-Chad

Big Rick 12-12-2011 04:39 PM

Sounds like either the window is jammed in the track (lopsided) or the mechanical part of the regulator is frozen... Or it could be the wiring is tangled... That is what happened to mine. It can be a pain... But keep working on it. You'll get it.

djnekkon 12-12-2011 05:09 PM

even if the wire is tangled, you can get everything out. Is doesnt look that easy, but it is. You need to play with it a bit. Dont worry, you wont break it. I made my friend drive his car for a week without regulator or motor. We Just zip tied it until his regulator came in the mail.

Big Rick 12-12-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djnekkon (Post 13885746)
even if the wire is tangled, you can get everything out. Is doesnt look that easy, but it is. You need to play with it a bit. Dont worry, you wont break it. I made my friend drive his car for a week without regulator or motor. We Just zip tied it until his regulator came in the mail.

Yup... I did the same thing... Clear packing tape on the inside window against the frame until it came in!

chad h 12-12-2011 06:11 PM

Like I said the only problem is that even after i took the motor off, and i was trying to manually push down the window, I couldn't make it move. I tried and to move it every way possible with no success. It seems literally stuck. I didn't know what to do after that. So now it's back together till i get a solid idea of how to handle it.

Big Rick 12-12-2011 07:57 PM

Did you take out just the motor or the motor AND the regulator?

chad h 12-12-2011 08:04 PM

Just the motor. Didn't know you could take out the regulator without detaching the window from the frame...

mildon77 12-12-2011 08:44 PM

The cables in the regulator are probly binding up not letting the window move at all. Since your replacing it just cut the cable with a side cutter. Should remove tension to allow you to drop the window down.

Big Rick 12-12-2011 08:47 PM

You need to loosen the regulator and remove. You took out the motor but the steel cable is all screwed up and will not let the window come down... 4 bolts I think and you're out!

chad h 12-12-2011 09:16 PM

Is it possible to fix this without buying parts? I may just work on it this evening..

Big Rick 12-12-2011 09:28 PM

It depends on how bad it is... If you window is jammed though... I'd say no.

If the steel cable is kinked... you are fuked. No two ways about it. Even IF you could get the proper tension... Then next time that kink goes over the roller... It would derail all over again and get tangled up.

I'd look up Pelicanparts.com... That's where I always buy mine... Yup... I've replaced 3 of them... You need to make sure you roll your windows down every now and then. If you don't.. They will stick in their tracks just long enough to break the cheap plastic roller on the regulator.

Law 330Ci 08-11-2012 02:45 AM

I'm having exactly the same problem. I bought my 330Ci last week also knowing that the passenger window would only go down about 4 inches. Last night i took it all apart only to find that i couldn't get access to these 2 bolts holding the window as the cable was all chewed up in the regulator.

The only bolts I could see which were attached to the window looked like they were star shaped and not your typical bolt. As I had no tool that could remove this (if I could get the window down that far) I'm now left with my door card in the boot (trunk). I'm seriously tempted to just take it to a garage to fix, as the half an hour repair guide took me 2 at least!

jdstrickland 08-11-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad h (Post 13886300)
Just the motor. Didn't know you could take out the regulator without detaching the window from the frame...

You gotta take out the whole thing.

Anything that is "star shaped" is a Torx screw or Star bolt. Torx screws take a tip that fits into the screw, Star bolts are pretty much the same shape but take a socket that fits over the head of the bolt. You can buy torx screwdrivers and star sockets at the store.

Law 330Ci 08-11-2012 03:07 PM

I've decided to dip into my pocket and just give it to a pro. You're right that it's a torx socket but after the ball ache I had yesterday I can't be arsed having to do it all again. Plus if they mess it up at least I don't have to pay anymore. I did advise my local garage (non dealer) about the zip ties though which was new to him but hopefully will help his future trade. All on for 130 using OEM parts. BMW stealers wanted 300!

Thanks for the advice anyway :)