E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Just had single mass flywheel installed (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=891570)

GP330i 12-14-2011 12:39 AM

Just had single mass flywheel installed

Hey, first post here now that i finally have my first mod done. I just had a F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch & 15.85 lb single mass flywheel installed on my 01 330i. So far I love it and dont regret it but its going to take some real getting used to. The car has a completely different feel. I hadn't driven my car in 2 months, and before that the clutch had been slipping pretty badly for a while. So Im sure I picked up some bad habits trying to get the most of the old clutch before it died at about 140k miles.

Ive only gone about 50 easy miles so far, but I definitely notice how much more responsive and direct it feels. I'm only noticed the smallest bit of clutch chatter with the radio and heat off sitting at a stop light. I don't think its anything passengers would notice.

The uptake is VERY harsh if i dont pay really close attention to slipping the clutch from a stop. Is there any trick to a smooth takeoff on a single mass. I haven't had it cut off on me but ive had some pretty hard bucking starts. Ive driven manuals for years but now I feel like a newby all over again. Someone please chime in before i break something. :facepalm:

TrippinBimmer 12-14-2011 12:45 AM

Well u did go to a stage 2 clutch then OEM replacement. Then u change to a single mass from a dual. Clutch should grab much harder and should rev much easier. Won't be able to have a smoooooooth transition or riding the clutch like oem.

btw im buzzed....

GP330i 12-14-2011 12:53 AM

I'm not expecting it to be oem smooth. Its the pretty much what i was looking for. My only prob is figuring out the trick to driving a lighter single mass around town, better yet.. in the snow.

azzy989 12-14-2011 06:28 AM

i have a JBR 10 lb flywheel and definitely had a reaaaally hard time trying to figure out how to drive it. you'll get used to it eventually.. it's exactly what you said though.. just need to be very smooth while slipping the clutch and getting on the gas. for what it's worth, i have a jerky start every once in a while and i've been running this flywheel since august.

Hecs21 12-14-2011 07:00 AM

GP, keep me up to date on how that works for you. I just ordered the same kit and will hopefully have it in the car in the next couple of weeks.

I was curious about how much chatter there really is & about the quality of the release bearing.

Did you do a CDV delete with it?

I started a thread a couple weeks ago about going to SMF or sticking with DMF. Consensus seemed to be to go away from OEM completely including non-SAC but due to cost restrictions, I went with the same kit (Gripforce - F1 stage 2 SMF with sprung hub SAC)

I hope it works out well. Looking forward to getting mine in and getting through the break in period!

GP330i 12-14-2011 07:17 AM

I haven't done a cdv delete on it yet. I don't have jack stands or the equip to bleed it. Hopefully I can find a mechanic or someone local willing to do it that'll know what im talking about. But i did have some of the shifter linkage parts replaced. It took care of most of the play in the shifter for only about 25 bucks.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer

Rob43 12-14-2011 09:52 AM

OP,

You're just gonna have to get use to it. Wait a month or two on the CDV delete, because it will actually make the clutch feel more "positive". Just Don't do any hard quick acceleration (don't dump the clutch) with the CDV still installed. Once it's removed, then you can be aggressive.

Snow use, play video: http://www.amazon.com/Security-Compa...3877724&sr=8-1
I personally swear by this product.

Merry Christmas.

TiAg2247 12-14-2011 12:37 PM

Where did you purchase the F1 kit?

Hecs21 12-14-2011 06:11 PM

DB, check eBay seller Gripforce-clutches, I think it is or just search Gripforce & you'll find them.

They're are some good reviews out there from other Bimmer owners. Some well over 20k miles on em. There are some bad reviews as well but all I found were people whom purchased kits for Toyotas or Subarus.

GP330i 06-12-2012 12:26 AM

6 month update: Just this weekend I noticed the clutch slipping when accelerating hard in 5th gear. The next day the slipping became more frequent in all gears on anything greater than 40% throttle. Up until now id never had any slipping issues. I treat the clutch pretty well, just the usual spirited driving. I gave gripforce a call to see what they had to say about it the slipping. They basically said that after 6 months and almost 10,000 miles its not likely its a build quality issue and that its most likely a failure of another component on my car. I'm having a shop take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully it just needs adjustment or something else cheap and simple.

kraimer 07-31-2012 03:47 PM

Let us know what the shop said?
Im thinking of getting the same clutch...

fastjasonbmw 08-01-2012 08:50 PM

Do you still have the CDV installed? If so, get rid of it. A ss braided clutch line might help to, as the original clutch line could be swelling under pressure and giving you inconsistent clutch action.

GP330i 08-02-2012 09:12 AM

At this point I can't tell you if the parts are to blame. My car is still in the shop. They're telling me that the mechanic that initially installed the kit couldn't of installed the gripforce kit since the car still had the dual mass flywheel. Im having a hard time believing that because I could hear chattering in neutral, you could feel more driveline vibration, the flywheel felt lighter and the uptake was harsher. I need to wait to see the parts that came out of the car so I can figure out what actually happened.

rapnel 01-09-2013 12:45 PM

Update?

Do you have an update for this?

I'm at 10k with a failed gripforce clutch. I'd like to know what your find was.

Thanks\r

ohio330 01-09-2013 09:34 PM

I had a gripforce stage 2 clutch and flywheel go out in 6 months. Properly installed too. They ignored my emails and always gave me to someone's voicemail. I just cut my loses and bought a clutch masters kit.

rapnel 01-10-2013 06:47 AM

same. did you have the chromoly fw? did you pull. that too?

ccj4467 01-10-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohio330 (Post 15046764)
I had a gripforce stage 2 clutch and flywheel go out in 6 months. Properly installed too. They ignored my emails and always gave me to someone's voicemail. I just cut my loses and bought a clutch masters kit.

Same deal with me 8,000 miles on it and it was trash.

Kept the SMF but went with stock (LUK) clutch.

Shop could not tell if the SAC was defective or not, so I just bit the bullet on trying to deal with Gripforce, they also ignored my e-mails.

ohio330 01-10-2013 05:05 PM

my flywheel was warped so much it needed replaced. I should find the pictures of the heat marks.

rapnel 01-11-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccj4467 (Post 15048486)
Same deal with me 8,000 miles on it and it was trash.

Kept the SMF but went with stock (LUK) clutch.

Shop could not tell if the SAC was defective or not, so I just bit the bullet on trying to deal with Gripforce, they also ignored my e-mails.

You hooked up a LuK stock clutch to the SMF flywheel? I'm being told all over the place that I can't do that. Any chance that you can point me to any references supporting this type of setup? Given that the stock setup earned 175k+ and getting burned at 10k by F1 I'd like this to be able to work.

ccj4467 01-11-2013 10:03 AM

The shop that did the work for me just did it. According to the Gripforce web site their pressure plate is a OEM pressure plate that they beef up the springs.

You can't do it with all single mass flywheels. The Gripforce setup uses F1 Racings flywheel and a pressure plate that has the same bolt and locator pin configuration as the stock clutch. Single Mass Flywheels such as JB Racing and UUC I think use non standard pressure plates but I am not positive about that.

You might check out the thread on the Valeo SMF conversion kit in the General E46 forum.

The only draw back with the stock clutch is that is uses a non-sprung hub clutch disk so the clutch engagement is a little bit harsher than with a sprung hub clutch disk.

It really did not take me long to adapt to it, I have been driving only manual transmissions for 40 years so I can pretty much feel how the clutch is engaging.