E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Sport Springs Alone Blow Shocks? I need a straight answer! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=894612)

KrasivataSabine 12-31-2011 03:53 PM

Sport Springs Alone Blow Shocks? I need a straight answer!

Hey fanatics,

It's probably an old and abused question, but I've done a lot of research on this topic on e46 forums and other forums as well, but keep running into conflicting information. Can you run sport springs with OEM shocks, and expect the shocks to stay healthy?

I have a 323Ci, and am looking for even better handling and responsiveness. I had the H&R Sport Springs or Eibach Pro-Kit Springs in mind, specifically.

Let's get a conclusive answer to this, please, it's been bugging me for a while now.:ben:

Oh, and Happy New Year!:thumbup:

Stinger9 12-31-2011 04:29 PM

There is no reason

to expect the oem shocks would wear faster because you fit stiffer springs as long as the travel range could accommodate the new ride height.

Next, the question would be whether you'd want to go to all that labor without installing better shocks? Are your shocks almost new, or are you just watching the budget? If I were doing an upgrade, I'd sooner change shocks than springs. As a matter of fact that's just what I did. Put in FSD's with the oem aprings and love the result.

B_Cyrus 12-31-2011 04:32 PM

your shocks are probably already blown/very worn out depending on your miles.

Alex323Ci 12-31-2011 04:36 PM

Sport springs you mention are not much of a drop. and your 323Ci already has sport shocks/springs. it should not exacerbate the wear with what you have now.
question is, how old are the "stock" shocks you have now? if old they may need to be replaced now or soon. which leads you to the labor and alignment being wasted on the fronts.

KrasivataSabine 12-31-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 13937155)
to expect the oem shocks would wear faster because you fit stiffer springs as long as the travel range could accommodate the new ride height.

Next, the question would be whether you'd want to go to all that labor without installing better shocks? Are your shocks almost new, or are you just watching the budget? If I were doing an upgrade, I'd sooner change shocks than springs. As a matter of fact that's just what I did. Put in FSD's with the oem aprings and love the result.

Yeahh, so I'm watching the budget. The shocks have 116K miles on them, but they seem to be going strong; they work just fine. I'm interested in sport springs because they seem like a cost effective and substantial suspension upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong!

mkodama 12-31-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Cyrus (Post 13937169)
your shocks are probably already blown/very worn out depending on your miles.

+1

Your stock dampers are probably worn out, and this will be in addition to the fact that if you use dampers designed for softer springs, you will get a bouncier ride.

Stinger9 12-31-2011 07:22 PM

Let's presume you have lots more mileage in your shocks

Just for the sake of argument, because you're ultimately the one who will make this decision and have to go back in if your shocks give it up soon.
I'm guessing for the money, you'd not be able to do a better experiment. Ideally you'd do both shocks and springs to match, but springs would be cheaper than quality shocks. If money were not a factor, I'd do shocks first. Or save till I could do both.
Best of all choices is to buy a new car with the power you want right from the start and do educated upgrades right from the start because they'll cost the same then and you'd have them to enjoy for the full life of the car. But then there is the money factor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine (Post 13937216)
Yeahh, so I'm watching the budget. The shocks have 116K miles on them, but they seem to be going strong; they work just fine. I'm interested in sport springs because they seem like a cost effective and substantial suspension upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong!

KrasivataSabine 12-31-2011 07:41 PM

Exactly:) Ideally, I would be running my 323Ci with Koni FSD's, Eibach Pro-Kits, Camber Plates, Strut Bars, PU bushings, Sway Bars, aluminum control arms... we all would. But it sounds like sport springs won't damage my OEM shocks unduly; so I'm thinking my best choice is to go with the Eibach Pro-kit springs for now so I have the option of fitting FSD's when the time is right.:woot:

Thanks, everyone

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 13937500)
Just for the sake of argument, because you're ultimately the one who will make this decision and have to go back in if your shocks give it up soon.
I'm guessing for the money, you'd not be able to do a better experiment. Ideally you'd do both shocks and springs to match, but springs would be cheaper than quality shocks. If money were not a factor, I'd do shocks first. Or save till I could do both.
Best of all choices is to buy a new car with the power you want right from the start and do educated upgrades right from the start because they'll cost the same then and you'd have them to enjoy for the full life of the car. But then there is the money factor!

Stinger9 12-31-2011 07:46 PM

And let us know!

After you do the springs, ride around for a while and then come back and add to this thread what happens when you do this and how you like it?
Now you've got us curious!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine (Post 13937534)
Exactly:) Ideally, I would be running my 323Ci with Koni FSD's, Eibach Pro-Kits, Camber Plates, Strut Bars, PU bushings, Sway Bars, aluminum control arms... we all would. But it sounds like sport springs won't damage my OEM shocks unduly; so I'm thinking my best choice is to go with the Eibach Pro-kit springs for now so I have the option of fitting FSD's when the time is right.:woot:

Thanks, everyone

KrasivataSabine 12-31-2011 07:50 PM

You might be waiting for several weeks. But I'll be sure to do just that ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger9 (Post 13937546)
After you do the springs, ride around for a while and then come back and add to this thread what happens when you do this and how you like it?
Now you've got us curious!

ED955S 12-31-2011 08:03 PM

Should not. I have been running for 3 years on a 3/4 inch drop and 20% stiffer spring with OEM Shocks on my other car without issues.

KrasivataSabine 12-31-2011 08:13 PM

That's reaffirming :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ED955S (Post 13937570)
Should not. I have been running for 3 years on a 3/4 inch drop and 20% stiffer spring with OEM Shocks on my other car without issues.

KrasivataSabine 01-03-2012 12:38 AM

Quick update!

I've grown a fancy for Megan Racing's lowering springs, 1.5 inch drop. Im guessing thats too much of a drop for OEM springs. Someone please tell me otherwise XD if you can!!

Japanrot_325i 09-30-2012 01:07 PM

Did you buy the megan racing srpings im thinking of the same springs myself i replaced my tires and noticed two broken coil springs on the back and the megan racing springs seem good for the price let me know if you can

illestminimike 09-30-2012 06:30 PM

Nice bump. Didn't even know Megan made springs for E46's. I wouldn't buy anything from them for our cars.

Japanrot_325i 09-30-2012 08:33 PM

Well there's also a set of teins I've Ben looking at I know the eibachs and h&rs are recommended but there kinda pricey what do you recommend?

Sent from my VM670 using Bimmer App

illestminimike 09-30-2012 08:45 PM

Coilovers.

Japanrot_325i 09-30-2012 09:10 PM

Well I don't exactly have a grand to drop and I'm not putting racelands on my car so that's kinda out of the question

325inthe510 09-30-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46325i03 (Post 14776084)
Well I don't exactly have a grand to drop and I'm not putting racelands on my car so that's kinda out of the question

H&r sport springs and koni yellows, orange if you're on a budget

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

MJM Distributing 09-30-2012 11:35 PM

Yes, any aftermarket sport spring with a more aggressive spring rate than your stock springs can certainly blow your OEM dampers (dependent upon a few factors). Obviously the type of spring you're running (i.e. a mild Eibach Pro-Kit vs. H&R Race) will determine how fast, or if at all, your shocks decide to go. In addition, the mileage and condition of your stock shock, as well as how you drive, will always factor in to these things. Fact is, your stock shocks' valving just isn't equipped to handle that of an aftermarket performance spring. Are there thousands upon thousands of cars running the street today with aftermarket lowering springs mated to stock shocks? Yes, there are; tons and tons of them. Just give it some time, though; they'll eventually (with time) start to feel harsh and the ride start to get worse and worse. Obviously if you put a set of performance springs on a new car (or one with low mileage), your window of opportunity to drive on it like that is much bigger.

Being the sole Warehouse Distributor the Southern US for B&G, Eibach, H&R and KONI (together), we here at MJM have tons of experience with each and every suspension setup you can think of (we even do Air Lift air suspension here in-house) and can certainly steer you in the right direction on what setup would be best for you based on your driving styles, driving habits and what springs and shock combo you want to go with. From non-adjustable KONI STR.T Shocks (which can be used on either OEM or performance shocks) to KONI FSD to Sport Shocks to Eibach, H&R and KONI Coilovers, we've got you covered. Feel free to PM us here through the forums or email us through our site (www.mjmautohaus.com) with any questions you may have and we'll get you taken care of.