E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Australia (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Big brake kit ADVISE NEEDED (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=894828)

MBM330i 01-02-2012 06:05 AM

Big brake kit ADVISE NEEDED
 
So moving along with various upgrades and have plans of supercharging in the not so distant future, so I first want to get my brakes sorted.
what brand / style/ size should I look for? I would like to change front and back. Any suggestions would be great. And if any of our sponsors have some packages please give me the heads up.
thanks in advance :thumbsup:

M3_Aaron 01-02-2012 07:09 AM

You need to figure out what you're willing to spend for peace of mind and go from there.

In my opinion the best upgrades are from Brembo, AP Racing, Alcon and Performance Friction but they'll come at a premium as good brakes do. Size will be determined by the manufacturers offerings. Generally they are matched to the size of your OEM master cylinder.

There are cheaper kits around but you might find that they aren't supported as well locally or are multi-piston bling. The availability and price of replacement parts might also be an issue.

I wouldn't buy any kit recommended from a forum vendor unless if you were familiar and confident with that product. The amount of crap that get peddled as quality these days is disappointing.

dsio 01-02-2012 07:39 AM

Ah... I was about to say the 330i/330ci factory brakes are actually very good but I'm guessing you've still got the small 318i brakes on your swapped 330i. Mind you its entirely possible I don't push them nearly as much, but bugger me if the stopping power of the 330ci hasn't saved me on a few occasions.

Goondaddy 01-02-2012 01:56 PM

Brake upgrades are all fine and dandy, but more importantly, ensure that you have some decent rubber. That will have more of an effect than brakes when it comes to pulling up quickly.

Nath 01-02-2012 06:23 PM

TMQ is parting out his 380mm Brembo BBK off his 330ci?

msbhvn 01-02-2012 06:26 PM

ECS offer a BMW BBK, the kit uses the BMW Motorsport pieces, look into it.

I have wilwoods brakes and the where reasonably priced, I bought them from UUC

MBM330i 01-02-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3_Aaron (Post 13940003)
You need to figure out what you're willing to spend for peace of mind and go from there.

In my opinion the best upgrades are from Brembo, AP Racing, Alcon and Performance Friction but they'll come at a premium as good brakes do. Size will be determined by the manufacturers offerings. Generally they are matched to the size of your OEM master cylinder.

There are cheaper kits around but you might find that they aren't supported as well locally or are multi-piston bling. The availability and price of replacement parts might also be an issue.

I wouldn't buy any kit recommended from a forum vendor unless if you were familiar and confident with that product. The amount of crap that get peddled as quality these days is disappointing.

Im looking to spend up to $2,500

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsio (Post 13940012)
Ah... I was about to say the 330i/330ci factory brakes are actually very good but I'm guessing you've still got the small 318i brakes on your swapped 330i. Mind you its entirely possible I don't push them nearly as much, but bugger me if the stopping power of the 330ci hasn't saved me on a few occasions.

I had the brakes replaced but they are the same 318-328 have all the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goondaddy (Post 13940581)
Brake upgrades are all fine and dandy, but more importantly, ensure that you have some decent rubber. That will have more of an effect than brakes when it comes to pulling up quickly.

yeah got Achilles I'm happy with them for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nath (Post 13941235)
TMQ is parting out his 380mm Brembo BBK off his 330ci?

Has he decided he is parting out??
Quote:

Originally Posted by msbhvn (Post 13941244)
ECS offer a BMW BBK, the kit uses the BMW Motorsport pieces, look into it.

I have wilwoods brakes and the where reasonably priced, I bought them from UUC

I was looking at the wilwoods myself are the good? What size did you get

tedelex06 01-02-2012 07:10 PM

6 pot 996 fronts (350) are the goods ;)

msbhvn 01-02-2012 07:55 PM

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-323...OEM/ES2215444/

These ones.

M3_DU 01-02-2012 08:08 PM

Are you going to track the car? If not just upgrade to some M3 brakes and save yourself a whole lot of money. Pads and discs will be cheaper in the long run too.

Mitch E46 01-02-2012 08:32 PM

does your $2,500 include installation? For that money your probably looking at 2 piston fronts and rears.

Johnny at KCR Performance (Sydney based) might be able to help you with a deal. Send a PM to Johnca.

I've just purchased a Brembo big brake kit from KCR Perfomance. The kit includes 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears :thumbsup:

Scotty_89 01-02-2012 08:37 PM

You've got Achilles tyres and your happy with them?

I got them in my wheel package, and they are cheap and nasty.

You should look into better tyres after you get new brakes.

johnca 01-02-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch E46 (Post 13941539)
does your $2,500 include installation? For that money your probably looking at 2 piston fronts and rears.

Johnny at KCR Performance (Sydney based) might be able to help you with a deal. send a PM to Johnca.

I've just purchased a Brembo big brake kit from KCR Perfomance. The kit includes 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

gueste46 01-02-2012 09:16 PM

Speaking of brakes, last week for the first time, and only for a kilometer or so, I pushed my car to the limits of my driving ability; acceleration, braking and cornering. I picked the time and place carefully so only put myself at risk.

I scared the sh1t out of myself. I learned a couple of things; I lack the skills to drive like that and the brakes, although adequate, did not give me the stopping power for that sort of driving.

So, like the OP, I am considering the possibility of upgrading the brakes. I have no intention of repeating that drive but I would like to know that in an emergency I can stop quickly and in a safe manner.

Is there a great difference between the stock brakes on my car and 4 or even 6 pot brakes? Not having driven a car fitted with serious brakes, I have no idea.

11EAS 01-02-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantine (Post 13941657)
Is there a great difference between the stock brakes on my car and 4 or even 6 pot brakes? Not having driven a car fitted with serious brakes, I have no idea.

Depends how you drive it, I would say the difference though... Life and Death? :rofl:

dan_1337 01-02-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constantine (Post 13941657)
Speaking of brakes, last week for the first time, and only for a kilometer or so, I pushed my car to the limits of my driving ability; acceleration, braking and cornering. I picked the time and place carefully so only put myself at risk.

I scared the sh1t out of myself. I learned a couple of things; I lack the skills to drive like that and the brakes, although adequate, did not give me the stopping power for that sort of driving.

So, like the OP, I am considering the possibility of upgrading the brakes. I have no intention of repeating that drive but I would like to know that in an emergency I can stop quickly and in a safe manner.

Is there a great difference between the stock brakes on my car and 4 or even 6 pot brakes? Not having driven a car fitted with serious brakes, I have no idea.

Con, you could get a little more stopping power with fresh brake fluid (if it hasn't been done in a while), more aggressive pad and possibly slotted rotors.

OP, IMO have a look at 330ci brakes as the discs are bigger (325mm front, 320mm rear) or M3 brakes (328mm f/r). Quite sure both will need mounts.

The last time I checked these BMW performance brakes, they are built by brembo but only have one pad available as they are a BMW designed kit.

MBM330i 01-02-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbhvn (Post 13941455)

I think I will order these :thumsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedelex06 (Post 13941364)
6 pot 996 fronts (350) are the goods ;)

yeah seen this is a popular upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3_DU (Post 13941471)
Are you going to track the car? If not just upgrade to some M3 brakes and save yourself a whole lot of money. Pads and discs will be cheaper in the long run too.

yes will be tracking the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch E46 (Post 13941539)
does your $2,500 include installation? For that money your probably looking at 2 piston fronts and rears. Lots out there for under this price. Mate owns dynotune no installed cost.

Johnny at KCR Performance (Sydney based) might be able to help you with a deal. Send a PM to Johnca.

I've just purchased a Brembo big brake kit from KCR Perfomance. The kit includes 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty_89 (Post 13941556)
You've got Achilles tyres and your happy with them?

I got them in my wheel package, and they are cheap and nasty.

You should look into better tyres after you get new brakes.

yes happy with them for now. Had worse and really don't feel any different to my f1s I had. Will be changing soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnca (Post 13941569)
:thumbsup:

think I'm sorted with ECS OEM BMW performance kit above. Let me know if you can offer anything? Will be ordering by the end of the week

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_1337 (Post 13941801)
Con, you could get a little more stopping power with fresh brake fluid (if it hasn't been done in a while), more aggressive pad and possibly slotted rotors.

OP, IMO have a look at 330ci brakes as the discs are bigger (325mm front, 320mm rear) or M3 brakes (328mm f/r). Quite sure both will need mounts.

The last time I checked these BMW performance brakes, they are built by brembo but only have one pad available as they are a BMW designed kit.

Looked into the 330 brakes easy to fit front but rear needs some alterations. Also I want them to look good aswell.
Ecs is wining hands down. Performance, price & aesthetics :thumbsup:

msbhvn 01-03-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBM330i (Post 13941995)
I think I will order these :thumsup:

I don't think you can go wrong really, for the price, fact they're 6piston and service from ECS it is a no brainier

Please post a review if you get a chance, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

tey elvis 01-05-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbhvn (Post 13941455)

I doubt they are suitable for tracking.IMHO
I have a complete front n rear used GT Brembo kit for 330 if you are interested. If you are after the front only, willing to part them for USD2500shipped. Located in Singapore.

MBM330i 01-05-2012 02:46 AM

Yeah still looking around.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use