E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Accountability thread and help (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897543)

jmcdolej 01-16-2012 02:53 PM

Accountability thread and help

ME: 32, 5'11 218. Goal 200 (too embarrased to post a pic, lol)

I want to drop some weight. Since high school finished I have always been soft around the belly/love handles. Everywhere else (arms, chest, legs) has muscle defintion. I am super busy with work and have two kids 5/8. My wife lost some weight and she is a great influence on my eating habits.

Eating/drinking: Burger, wings are a big weaknesses. Drink an alcohol drink almost every night, usually captain and coke zero.

Exercise- Started running/walking/jogging on treadmill usually 4mph for 2-3 miles.

Plan- Trying weight watchers. (seems to be cool) Increase running to twice a day. Add weights- I like doing 20lb curls while wlaking on the treadmill.

Thanks for any help.

Daggo- 01-16-2012 03:09 PM

It all comes down to diet, exercise, and discipline

Just change the way you eat. Eat five to six times a day, keep your dinners light. Look at the labels, if it's got more than 5 ingredients, find something else. Natural peanut butter and almond butter is your friend. Every meal must contain at least protein and a carb. Stay away from white bread and fried foods.

When you exercise, do more cardio, burn more calories. I wouldn't do weights 'while' you run. Keep the heart rate up. Lift weights every other day, run/walk every day. Make it a habit.

DylloS 01-16-2012 03:35 PM

cut out sugars and crappy carbs and you'll be set. Fill up on meat and veggies. Never drink calories. Always water. If you must drink every night try red wine.

jmcdolej 01-16-2012 03:46 PM

Explain crappy carbs? Today was banana for breakfast. Subway chicken sandwich for lunch. Almonds before lunch and before leaving work. Wife is making seasoned chicken breast and Mac and cheese for dinner. Only drink has been water. Will drink coke zero or powerade zero later. 2 miles this morning. Will do at least 2 more tonight. I could eat and workout this way everyday easily. What do you guys think about coke zero? Powerade zero? Sugar free red bulls? For weight watchers the points are 0,0,1.

DylloS 01-16-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 13984951)
Explain crappy carbs? Today was banana for breakfast. Subway chicken sandwich for lunch. Almonds before lunch and before leaving work. Wife is making seasoned chicken breast and Mac and cheese for dinner. Only drink has been water. Will drink coke zero or powerade zero later. 2 miles this morning. Will do at least 2 more tonight. I could eat and workout this way everyday easily. What do you guys think about coke zero? Powerade zero? Sugar free red bulls? For weight watchers the points are 0,0,1.

Crappy carbs are basically anything other than fruit, veggies, oats, whole wheat products, brown rice. But if you just cut down a bit you'll see results. don't go nuts. Take baby steps and soon you'll get in a groove where you no longer even care for crappy foods. Stay away from the sweets.

I wouldn't worry too much about the calorie free drinks. I'm not a fan because they are all fake sugars and weird chemicals but I don't think they'll have an affect on your fat loss. although some people say diet sodas can trick the body. Not sure how true that is.

After your runs do some pushups and stuff like that. Any muscle stimulation will help your progress.

goyongj 01-16-2012 06:30 PM

I could eat and workout this way everyday easily.

why haven't you done it then?

jmcdolej 01-16-2012 06:57 PM

Because I have been lazy.

dwass325 01-16-2012 06:59 PM

A meal without protein is not a meal. A meal with considerably higher carbs than protein is a meal, but a poorly planned one.

By the way, you aren't doing yourself any major favors by choosing Coke Zero for your nightly drink. While the calories do make a small difference, it's the alcohol in alcohol that really impacts your waist.

jmcdolej 01-16-2012 07:08 PM

So one captain and coke a night will make as big difference?

BMW_Matt 01-16-2012 11:18 PM

If youre serious, Get rid of the mixed drinks/wings/burgers. Start counting your calories every day. Your goal is 500 calories below your maintainence level.

You will lose weight. We'll get you to that 6 pack in no time!

Hockeyman17 01-16-2012 11:31 PM

Lol Matt. U sound like the front page of men's health every month.

But seriously. U don't have to change your whole lifestyle. Just start on better habits and exercise and the pounds will come off.

goyongj 01-17-2012 01:36 AM

I am not saying this to you.

I Hate Hate when Fat people say sxit like this. 'from tomorrow, I am going to eat just chicken breast and vegetables. I will run 5 miles a day hehehehe'
Fcuk you, you are not a pan cake. you can't flip yourself like that. Maybe you will last ten days but you will get burn out.

What I am saying here is that you don't have to get rid of all bad stuff and add all good stuff. Just by getting rid of some garbage food and exercising little alone will help you a lot.

It's just Common Sense. If your goal is lifting 100lbs dumbbell, do you start doing that from day one? (meaning you don't have to eat and exercise like experienced person from day one)

Bimmer4Lyfe 01-17-2012 01:47 AM

Quoting myself
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe (Post 13462816)
you really want to know what to do....

this:>>> http://www.drnatura.com/products?gcl...FQY-bAodYTN46Q

any photos on the site (very graphic warning) I can vouch for...as I had a smilar expericnce.

I did this for 3 months... I ususally do it for one month 2x a year.
but it is reccomended the first time for 3 mo. so I tried it.

1st month - up to 12lbs lost as normal -

2nd month up to 17-18 lbs lost

3rd- no kidding up to 24.5 lbs lost

I reccomend getting the pro biotics that they offer as well

PS: I did not diet. I did not exercise, although I should have.

and I too have a desk job and I'm getting a little older.
I was a bit over 220 and now I'm 197 ....just finished 3 months 2 weeks ago.

I have been using this product since 2007 on and off... and take the fiber on a fairly regular basis

I have also told friends and family.
those who listend to me lost the weight and had other healt benefits.

I do not work for this compamy. I have nothing to gain by sharing it.

I was just happy to finally see something do what it said it does for once.

GL

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TxEFTWQQs2...olon+detox.jpg

jmcdolej 01-17-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goyongj (Post 13986952)
I am not saying this to you.

I Hate Hate when Fat people say sxit like this. 'from tomorrow, I am going to eat just chicken breast and vegetables. I will run 5 miles a day hehehehe'
Fcuk you, you are not a pan cake. you can't flip yourself like that. Maybe you will last ten days but you will get burn out.

What I am saying here is that you don't have to get rid of all bad stuff and add all good stuff. Just by getting rid of some garbage food and exercising little alone will help you a lot.

It's just Common Sense. If your goal is lifting 100lbs dumbbell, do you start doing that from day one? (meaning you don't have to eat and exercise like experienced person from day one)

I agree with you because I have done this multiple times. Part of the reason for this thread. Slowly but surely I skip working out one day a week, then two until I completely stop. I am trying to find a plan I can live with and partly enjoy. A lifestyle change, not a diet.

DylloS 01-17-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 13987389)
I agree with you because I have done this multiple times. Part of the reason for this thread. Slowly but surely I skip working out one day a week, then two until I completely stop. I am trying to find a plan I can live with and partly enjoy. A lifestyle change, not a diet.

if you have that mentality you'll be much better off.

jmcdolej 01-17-2012 10:21 AM

Colon cleanse?!?

dwass325 01-17-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 13985596)

Yes. It's best to limit that to maybe 1-2 per week. Alcohol has some negative effects on different parts of the body. It's best to cut back, if not permanently then at least until you establish your new normal weight.

BMW_Matt 01-17-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 13985596)

Yes, aside from the empty caloric value, alcohol messes with the body in a negative way. Hurts gains, hurts Test levels, dehydrates you, etc.

Geo31 01-17-2012 05:19 PM

If you're 5'11" and 218, you should be able to reach 200 with NO problems with the basic plan you have, but the devil is in the details.

I was 43 YO on New Years Day in 2004. I weighed 260 lbs. My change was NOT due to a New Years resolution. It was the day I attended my first marathon. I thought runners were crazy and marathoners were certifiable. By the end of the day I decided I wanted to run a marathon. I ran my first marathon a year later. I was 240 lbs. I'm telling you this because I started out in worse shape

I lost weight through training and then would get injured and gain it back. Finally, I did the Weight Watchers program while training for my 3rd marathon. In 8 months I lost 70 lbs.

My point in all of this is losing 18 lbs should be stupid easy. If you follow the WW plan and exercise properly, you should be able to lose this in less than two months. When I follow WW I don't count my activity points, but I also eat "normally" three meals each week (approximately a wash). When it comes to weight loss, I have a harder time than most women, so if it works for me, I can assure you that it will work for you. Oh, and drank two light beers a day and factored that into my daily points plan.

If you are not losing weight, I can almost guarantee you are "cheating."

Don't "try" WW, DO IT. Track everything you put in your stomach. NO CHEATING. You exercise routine is OK for a start, but if you want to be healthy, run. Your pace of 15 minute miles is a fast walking pace. You don't have to kill yourself running. But you have to get out there and run. Do what you can. Three miles 3-4x a week should be a good start. Work yourself up to 3 miles continuous running each time. You don't have to set the world on fire. You just have to not be walking. Despite all the crap about walking being as good as running, it's crap. Running burns at least twice the calories. It also brings big improvements in aerobic fitness.

Next, sign up for a 5k race somewhere. Don't worry about thinking you'll be too slow. You won't come in last, I promise you. If you sign up for a race, the thought of being under-prepared should scare you enough to get you out training. You want to be accountable? Be accountable to yourself. Fill out that entry form for a race 2 months from now and get moving. Two months is plenty of time for you to be ready enough to finish. If you need advice on this, I'm more than happy to help.

Stop making excuses. I have a problem with that right now. After Ironman I gained 10-15 lbs and have struggled to get it off. I had trouble getting out for all my planned workouts. I now have that almost 100% under control. Controlling my eating is still my downfall. Working on it. I have to stop making excuses too. I'm an inch shorter than you and about the same weight. And I ran my 8th marathon on New Years Day (the very same marathon that inspired me to become a marathoner). You can run a respectable 5k. You can make better eating choices (and so can I).

Geo31 01-17-2012 05:24 PM

Carbs vs Protein really depends upon your activity. If you are building muscle mass, proteins are far more important. If you are a runner or endurance athlete (like me) carbs are far more important (although protein consumption should be increased after exercise to improve recovery). Carbs are the building blocks for glycogen, the fuel for your muscles.

For a quick and dirty evaluation of carbs, look at the nutrition statement on food. If the grams of sugar is close to the grams of carbs, they are probably junk. Carbs grams more than double the sugar grams will provide more long-term energy.