E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1999 323i 2.5l eml light and asc on together (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=898020)

rockyiiibalboa 01-18-2012 04:00 PM

1999 323i 2.5l eml light and asc on together

Hey guys I'll keep it simple:P

Basically I get a intermittent EML letters pop up and asc light come up and won't rev past 2000 revs and if I turn the car off a few mins all runs fines, the strange this is the lights turn off and I work for a hire company and they have the proper diagnostic tool and was conning up as a unknown code but the guy I work with reckons y it came up with unknown code because the car reset it self and knows there was a prob and he said to put the diagnostic bk on once it reappears to catch the code as it happens
:drama:
Can u guys shed any light please?

Thanks lee
rockyiiibalboa

lcoleman 01-18-2012 04:03 PM

They don't have the proper diagnostic tool.

rockyiiibalboa 01-18-2012 04:11 PM

well its a machines with a big screen and stuff and had reconised the airbag fault prevoisuly which s gone now but sum reason unknown codes etc.. not even numbers,but what is most commonly realted to both lights?and very worried only bout this car 2 weeks ago and worried i bought a lemon

Solidjake 01-18-2012 04:23 PM

Find another tool to scan the car and let us know what codes you get.

rockyiiibalboa 01-18-2012 04:32 PM

yh id have to take it to a indy, to be honest the machines at work arnt the most advanced, could it be realted to the throttle body need cleaning? because what i dont get is that when i turn the car off it runs fine thats what baffles the hell out of me

Solidjake 01-18-2012 04:42 PM

You can't guess with these cars. Last thing you want to do.

rockyiiibalboa 01-18-2012 04:45 PM

ok thanks mate do apperiate the reply and stuff aint even attemped taking it to work today dont trust it to be honest, i mean the diagnostic at work clears the codes but odvisoly come back when the lights reapper, the lights dont come back on whilst driving ,only once iv left it for a while turned off,and turn igition on and bam the light are bk on till i turn off and on and are gone .........

rockyiiibalboa 01-18-2012 04:54 PM

also one quick thing also see the engine check light (engine symbole doesnt apper when you turn on the igition,but if i do test mode for the cluster then it illumiinates so i know the bulb aint gone is theres a fuse for the check light?

azshorty 01-18-2012 05:05 PM

I dont think your car should trigger an eml light. I thought those were for the drive by wire cars?
In which yours is cable operated. Were talking about the throttle body here, dont get confused.

moiz21 01-18-2012 05:14 PM

Try cleaning the throttle body out like you mentioned. I had the same issue with my previous '00 323i. I found a bunch of threads referencing the throttle body. So I cleaned it as soon as I could, and the problem stopped. At least for the next few months, until I traded it in for a 5 speed.

rockyiiibalboa 01-18-2012 05:15 PM

thanks for the reply mate so i take it my car is the old fashioned cable? my car has cruise control and was told only cars with cruise control had the drive by wire..if not could it stil be the throttle if my motor is cable or am i looking at something more serious?

rockyiiibalboa 01-18-2012 05:17 PM

thanks for that mate so did the prob reoccur before you got rid of it?

moiz21 01-18-2012 06:02 PM

Nope, after the cleaning the problem did not return for the entire time that I still had the car in my possession.

rockyiiibalboa 01-19-2012 02:16 AM

Nice one mate thanks for that gives me a glimmer of hope, and as for the unknown codes do you think that the diagnostics machine was just a poor tool?

moiz21 01-19-2012 05:53 AM

It's possible. BMW codes are very particular. You would be better off getting a BMW specific code reader.

rockyiiibalboa 01-19-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moiz21 (Post 13993940)
Nope, after the cleaning the problem did not return for the entire time that I still had the car in my possession.

So what do I make of the unknown codes?

moiz21 01-19-2012 05:59 AM

Unfortunately nothing you can do. I would try to clean the throttle body for now. If the problem returns, I would find a BMW specific mechanic and try to see if they will read the codes for you. Sometimes generic code readers just can't pick up specific BMW codes.

rockyiiibalboa 01-19-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moiz21 (Post 13995612)
Unfortunately nothing you can do. I would try to clean the throttle body for now. If the problem returns, I would find a BMW specific mechanic and try to see if they will read the codes for you. Sometimes generic code readers just can't pick up specific BMW codes.

Yh I hear what u are saying gonna give it a go tomorrow also while on break at work I saw the pipe that goes to the throttle body is ripped and one of the jubilee clips on the same pipe are loose maybe that cud be a contributing factor

rockyiiibalboa 01-21-2012 03:57 AM

Success!!!!!!!!!!***128591;3***8419;2***8419;3***8419;

Quote:

Originally Posted by moiz21 (Post 13995612)

UPDATE: success ***128514; I have cleaned the throttle body and the idle control valve, renews all pipes for the throttle and aifilter box,then bam...turned the key ...no lights ,idle very quite also thrlte response way better also I was struggling too reach 18mpg....only drove to my work to clear the old stored codes and went right up 26mg ....mad what a little clean can do and the throttle flap was filthy and did get a little stuck upon closing ..once cleaned with throttle cleaner opened and closed as it shud... so cleared the codes all gone......and checked it three times.......all gone***128525; and y I was at it I cleared the the inspection light as I'm servicing it prob next week

Thanks is for all the replys and suggestions has worked a treat thanks fellow e6 fanatics***128540;

Bert_fromSA(Jhb) 02-03-2012 11:22 AM

:clap:Thanx Guys i read up having exactly the same problem, diff with my car is that i had the starter motor repaired twice(Comeback Repair), they removed the intake manifold to get to it and then my problems started. So ill get the Thr Body and idle valve cleaned and lets hope that sorts the prob. They reckoned when i took the car back that it might be the fuel pump giving hassles.

ill keep you guys in the loop

Bert