E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Someone slashed my top (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=899885)

abuzar1 01-27-2012 05:44 PM

Someone slashed my top

Hey guys I just bought an 01 M3 vert very recently. I parked at outside my friends apartment one night and someone slashed the top to get inside it. They didn't manage to steal the car but obviously the top is slashed and they also cut the seats on the way out :(

Now my question is this... I found a whole FRAME for an 01 330Ci with a black top on it in good condition. Can I just swap out frames?

kimfogs 01-27-2012 06:27 PM

File a comprehensive claim w insurance co

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

abuzar1 01-27-2012 06:51 PM

I was using my uncles dealer plate. The insurance won't cover it.

Pheonix 01-27-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abuzar1 (Post 14025035)
I was using my uncles dealer plate. The insurance won't cover it.

Get a new policy with a different company while you at it. Insurance should cover the car (Using Vehicle Identification Number) regardless of the status of your plate or registration at the time of the incident

abuzar1 01-27-2012 07:38 PM

Won't insurance companies check the damage before insuring me? I thought that was standard procedure. Not to mention this sounds like it would be insurance fraud which is unethical.

Does anyone know about just swapping the frame with the headliner and top already attached?

gbakerkingston 01-27-2012 08:03 PM

Look up part number at realoem.com. If both are same part number you are likely okay. If different part numbers, likely not interchangeable.

abuzar1 01-27-2012 08:07 PM

Thank you. It should be a simple unplug all connections bolt in procedure? Someone was telling me about sensors or something like that. Just thought I'd ask if you guys know anything about any sensors getting messed up while changing out the whole frame.

Pheonix 01-27-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abuzar1 (Post 14025154)
Won't insurance companies check the damage before insuring me? I thought that was standard procedure. Not to mention this sounds like it would be insurance fraud which is unethical.

Does anyone know about just swapping the frame with the headliner and top already attached?

Yes, the new insurance company might required inspection prior to start a new policy (and yes, it is illegal and unethical for you to treat them as well). What i am saying is that you are screwed with the current policy but you should try to get find a company whom will start the policy as soon as you pay them. I bought sevaral cars out of states, some i used temp plates, some i just drove home but i always made sure my policy started at 12:00AM on the day i got the car.

Schneldorff 01-28-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abuzar1 (Post 14025154)

If you knew how the insurance companies are screwing you you probably wouldn't mind. Their rates makes up for things like this as well as uninsured motorist. Kind of like Obamanomics.

Schneldorff 01-28-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pheonix (Post 14025304)
Yes, the new insurance company might required inspection prior to start a new policy (and yes, it is illegal and unethical for you to treat them as well). What i am saying is that you are screwed with the current policy but you should try to get find a company whom will start the policy as soon as you pay them. I bought sevaral cars out of states, some i used temp plates, some i just drove home but i always made sure my policy started at 12:00AM on the day i got the car.

Never in my 50 years has an insurance company inspected my autos. I've probably owned close to 20 over the years and have had almost every company in the US at one time or another. Hell my son totaled 4 cars in one year. :tsk:

Most companies also cover any car you buy even if you haven't notified them yet for the first 48 hrs. Most times even longer. I was rear ended on the way home in the snow from the dealer after buying a Mustang. I was sure I was screwed but GEICO came through.

Irishdb 01-28-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schneldorff (Post 14027330)
Never in my 50 years has an insurance company inspected my autos. I've probably owned close to 20 over the years and have had almost every company in the US at one time or another. Hell my son totaled 4 cars in one year. :tsk:

Most companies also cover any car you buy even if you haven't notified them yet for the first 48 hrs. Most times even longer. I was rear ended on the way home in the snow from the dealer after buying a Mustang. I was sure I was screwed but GEICO came through.

This is my experience also. Inspected - we're not driving Bugatti's!!

- Danny

johnrando 01-29-2012 09:21 PM

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to change the frame, but it is BMW so you never know. Look for a DIY on that maybe?

Redline4 01-29-2012 11:05 PM

I'm with nationwide and I got insurance with them online and so far i've had 4 cars and not once did they need to inspect the car before getting the insurance. Secondly the frame is the same for both models. part number 54317030541