E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Need a new EDC, IWB holster - kydex or leather? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=902162)

Serbonze 02-07-2012 08:40 PM

Need a new EDC, IWB holster - kydex or leather?

I'm in need of a new holster. For the last two years, I've used a Shielded Holster from Kurtis on Glock Talk - it's similar to a Crossbreed Supertuck.

I'm thinking about trying a true kydex IWB holster, but I wanted to get opinions from those of you that have used one for IWB carry. If you use one, what do like about it and what brand do you use?

drew09 02-07-2012 09:00 PM

I use the Galco TR226 for my Glock 19. It's a hard plastic IWB holster but you don't even notice it. Very, very low profile. I wear even when driving and there's no problem.,

david05111 02-07-2012 09:24 PM

I've been meaning to order a new holster. My number one choice has been a Comp-tac CTAC or MTAC, but I'd be open to alternatives.

Reedo302 02-07-2012 10:03 PM

Are you looking at a Raven Concealment Phantom?

Serbonze 02-08-2012 05:19 AM

Raven or similar.

Reedo302 02-08-2012 06:02 PM

I'd just go with a Raven. They are great holsters, and they're a fantastic company. The level of customer support is unbelievable. I recently read a review by a very satisfied customer where they sent him the wrong holster for the right gun, as well as the right holster. They let him keep the wrong holster at no charge.

Locutus09 02-08-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedo302 (Post 14065210)
I'd just go with a Raven. They are great holsters, and they're a fantastic company. The level of customer support is unbelievable. I recently read a review by a very satisfied customer where they sent him the wrong holster for the right gun, as well as the right holster. They let him keep the wrong holster at no charge.

Minor OT,

Reedo, you ever go with the holster you said you might try?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...64&postcount=9

Quote:

I run a Crossbreed SuperTuck with a Glock 27 and it works great. I really like it, and it's very comfortable. I would highly recommend one. If you want comfort, get the standard setup. If you sweat a lot like I do, get the horsehide. If you want a holster that you will likely be drawing from, then get the combat cut. I prefer my a standard cut setup for carrying, but I've used my SuperTuck for undercover work and I wish I had gotten the combat cut. It makes drawing a lot easier.

However, ever forum I've been on has had people saying that the Galco KingTuk is more comfortable. I may wind up getting one, since they are designed with a cutout similar to the combat cut option from Crossbreed.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...41&CatalogID=7

Reedo302 02-08-2012 11:13 PM

Still have not. I am actually looking at getting a Kahr P380, and am planning on getting a Raven Concealment pocket holster.
I am also looking at getting a S&W M&P9 Pro w/ a new SureFire X300, and will likely get that with a Raven Concealment Phantom.

Locutus09 02-08-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedo302 (Post 14066224)
Still have not. I am actually looking at getting a Kahr P380, and am planning on getting a Raven Concealment pocket holster.
I am also looking at getting a S&W M&P9 Pro w/ a new SureFire X300, and will likely get that with a Raven Concealment Phantom.

Understandable.

For First CCW holster, would crossbreed be a decent start? Trying to order up something here soon.

Rush4theYehO 02-09-2012 12:05 AM

For conceal carry - I ran into an issue with my raven. Not build quality or anything, it was fantastic. However, my body is fairly thin, I'm not a huge guy. 5'10, 170lbs. The holster was simply far too wide. It was like I had a plank on my hip. In other words, the curve of the holster was not enough to accomodate my body. I ended up selling it. I carry with a Comptac MTAC. Absolutely love it.

Reedo302 02-09-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus09 (Post 14066265)
Understandable.

For First CCW holster, would crossbreed be a decent start? Trying to order up something here soon.

Yeah, it'd be a good holster to have, regardless of it being a starter holster. It's always best to have multiple holsters for different types of carry options. I have 4 different carry options for my Glocks. IWB, OWB, shoulder and ankle.

Others like the KingTuk and the CompTac are pretty much the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO (Post 14066380)
For conceal carry - I ran into an issue with my raven. Not build quality or anything, it was fantastic. However, my body is fairly thin, I'm not a huge guy. 5'10, 170lbs. The holster was simply far too wide. It was like I had a plank on my hip. In other words, the curve of the holster was not enough to accomodate my body. I ended up selling it. I carry with a Comptac MTAC. Absolutely love it.

Yeah, if you're thin it may be difficult. I'm not thin, but then and again, I'd be getting the M&P9 Pro for tactical/training use. It'd be with outside carry on my battle belt.

Serbonze 02-09-2012 07:43 AM

I missed logging on for a night and look at all of the responses. :)

I thank you, but it's actually too late. I was feeling frisky last night and ended up ordering a direct replacement for my current holster (Shielded Holsters Double Phalanx) and a Raven Concealment Phantom.

Shielded Double Phalanx:
Black
Tactical Cutaway
Requested Kydex clips instead of metal, personal preference.

Raven Concealment Phantom:
Coyote
IWB Tuckable Soft Loops
Standard Cut
Full Body Shield
Quick Ship!
I thought about going with the MD cut, but I never wear it forward of 3:00 so it wasn't worth the extra wait time.

I also still have the G-Code holster for the Brokos Belt, which is a great holster if anyone needs a kydex for OWB. I really don't like the mounting system for IWB though. Otherwise, I would have just gotten that.

Ghostie 02-09-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus09 (Post 14065944)
Minor OT,

I use the Galco for my XD, the build quality of the holster itself is pretty good and I have no complaints about that

Another bonus for the Galco is the shorter wait time, I actually picked mine up at Cabelas (as opposed to waiting a few weeks)

Serbonze 02-16-2012 03:53 PM

Hybrid holster from Shielded Holsters arrived today.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...4/fff7c6f3.jpg

Just need to wait another month for the Raven. :)

dfjaws 02-16-2012 06:44 PM

Mine. Not my picture, but same setup with my Glock 19. I love it.

deadpass 02-16-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus09 (Post 14065944)
Minor OT,

I have the Galco Kingtuk for my SA XD40 subcompact, it's very comfortable when you get it positioned correctly. I'm a decent sized guy 6'2" 215 36 waist and I find that to get it comfortable and not to print I have to wear it nearly a 5 when I would prefer 4 or so.

Ghostie 02-16-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbonze (Post 14066930)
I missed logging on for a night and look at all of the responses. :)

I thank you, but it's actually too late. I was feeling frisky last night and ended up ordering a direct replacement for my current holster (Shielded Holsters Double Phalanx) and a Raven Concealment Phantom.

Shielded Double Phalanx:
Black
Tactical Cutaway
Requested Kydex clips instead of metal, personal preference.

Raven Concealment Phantom:
Coyote
IWB Tuckable Soft Loops
Standard Cut
Full Body Shield
Quick Ship!
I thought about going with the MD cut, but I never wear it forward of 3:00 so it wasn't worth the extra wait time.

I also still have the G-Code holster for the Brokos Belt, which is a great holster if anyone needs a kydex for OWB. I really don't like the mounting system for IWB though. Otherwise, I would have just gotten that.

Let me know when you get the Raven, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one. I'm particularly interested in the ability to use them as either OWB or IWB

Serbonze 03-10-2012 04:58 PM

I received the Raven yesterday. It's an excellent OWB holster. IWB was pretty darn uncomfortable with the kydex digging in. I'll give it a few more tries before I dismiss it completely though.

Adam@Euro-Spec 03-10-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbonze (Post 14170678)
I received the Raven yesterday. It's an excellent OWB holster. IWB was pretty darn uncomfortable with the kydex digging in. I'll give it a few more tries before I dismiss it completely though.

That was a pretty quick turn around time on it. Did you wear it with an undershirt? Interested if it gets any more comfortable as I'm waiting on an atomicdog kydex holster that I bought for both IWB/OWB duty.

Serbonze 03-10-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec (Post 14170696)
That was a pretty quick turn around time on it. Did you wear it with an undershirt? Interested if it gets any more comfortable as I'm waiting on an atomicdog kydex holster that I bought for both IWB/OWB duty.

It was a quick ship, so the wait wasn't bad. The body shield isn't a problem, it's the bottom of the holster digging into my upper thigh. I'm going out for quite awhile tomorrow, and I plan on wearing it so we'll see how it feels.