E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   ZHP Driving Flat Out (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=903026)

BMWTek 02-12-2012 05:41 PM

ZHP Driving Flat Out

http://youtu.be/I681TYhi-Q0

SpoiledBrat 02-12-2012 08:37 PM

Hit the red line a few times, I'm too scared to do that to mine!

BMWTek 02-12-2012 09:05 PM

That's why you have to drive "flat out" hehe

CJBrick 02-12-2012 09:10 PM

Like how you went crazy on the straight lol

Wayne's World 02-12-2012 09:14 PM

Awesome. Making me miss my weekend of skip barber....

Sent using BimmerDroid

BMWTek 02-12-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJBrick (Post 14077036)
Like how you went crazy on the straight lol

I never act that way but considering my lack of power vs my M3 I just felt like messing around :p I have a dedicated track e36 M3 but It was on time out after an incident at Buttonwillow last Oct. so I didn't let that spoil my season and so far did 3 events on my ZHP haha but my M3 is back up and running since last week so my ZHP is back to DD Mode :-) I got more clips coming up with my adventures at the track with my ZHP. Stay tuned Or subscribe on my YouTube channel: ic0121.

BMWTek 02-12-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne's World (Post 14077047)
Awesome. Making me miss my weekend of skip barber....

Sent using BimmerDroid

I can't wait to do a SkipBarber weekend!

crazyxzer0 02-12-2012 11:31 PM

looks fun :)

LivesNearCostco 02-13-2012 01:50 AM

Ha ha, that was fun to watch! It's like you're slapping a horse on the butt to make it go faster.

Here's my ZHP going through the same course last year. I'm not driving as fast as you were, shifting at 6,000 RPM instead of redline, and obviously m not having nearly as much fun as you did!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K14Be4B2GA

B_Cyrus 02-13-2012 01:58 AM

wow! Looking at the video, you need some stiffer engine/transmission mounts!

BMWTek 02-13-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Cyrus (Post 14077695)
wow! Looking at the video, you need some stiffer engine/transmission mounts!

Tell me about it, I noticed it immediately at SOW on my track day with the ZHP. Trans. mounts are good but stock of coarse pretty much the whole car is minus a conversion kit from GC. But in my experience it could be both the trans mounts and shifter bushing that's causing all that play. Good observation btw mate :-)

BMWTek 02-13-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco (Post 14077676)
Ha ha, that was fun to watch! It's like you're slapping a horse on the butt to make it go faster.

Here's my ZHP going through the same course last year. I'm not driving as fast as you were, shifting at 6,000 RPM instead of redline, and obviously m not having nearly as much fun as you did!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K14Be4B2GA

Hey it's the Costco guy! When I saw your user name I was like "I've seen that name on the speedventures list before". Anyways, yeah I was treating my zhp like a horse a bit cause it didn't wanna go any faster haha but it was very fun to drive. By the looks of the video you showed me and the ride along I did with you at Buttonwillow recently, you seem to have your lines figured out ok for the most part, but you're not pushing it too much, like revving at 6k is not a good idea considering our cars dont have a lot of power in the mid range, so you wanna be on the higher revs as much as possible. My times for example improved by over a second in ACS for down shifting to 2nd rather than 3rd on turns like the "penis head", I tried 3rd and I was coming out way too slow and I was wot. Think about it, hope to see you at the next ACS event on the 25th (I think). Eitherway your doing fine, when u get closer to 2:03 at ACS let me know so we can battle it out hehe

LivesNearCostco 02-13-2012 02:45 AM

Oh it's you! I was wondering who else was taking a ZHP to Speed Ventures events. Yesterday I was at SoW with Speed Ventures and did try revving it to 6,500 a few times and to 7,000 once.

About the shifting... in the 4th session I was downshifting to 2nd on the skid pad, then twice I couldn't get it into 2nd gear while holding the right-hand turn on the pad. I think I was able to downshift fine if I downshifted in a straight line. In the paddock and driving home it downshifted fine. Is that the kind issue you had with transmission mounts?

BMWTek 02-13-2012 10:32 AM

Haha yeah it's me! And your issue with 2nd gear is possible that your transmission mounts are deflecting a bit under that hard left/right (don't know what direction you did) and while your trying to get into 2nd it's not properly engaging due to the little gforce your creating. But in my style of driving I'm in 2nd gear while heel toeing in the straight. Get your preffered gear in before you go into the turn. Hope that helps.

LivesNearCostco 02-14-2012 02:46 PM

Thanks for the tips (and the driving tips at Buttonwillow). I have aftermarket poly transmission mounts with aluminum enforcer cups, but they are not bolt-through mounts and not the stiffest poly option. My motor mounts were stock Lemforder with ~18,000 miles on them, but after this happened on Saturday, on Sunday I switched to BimmerWorld solid rubber (but not bolt-through) motor mounts, since I had a set laying around.

Reviewing my video, the problems going to 2nd happened only after my big tank slapper. But then again it seems I could downshift right as I started turn-in but not during the middle of the skidpad turn. So maybe one of my transmission mounts is broken now, or maybe I just shouldn't try to downshif mid-turn. I looked at the transmission mounts Sunday but didn't take them out. I should go back under the car and remove the transmission support brace to verify those mounts are okay.

dan_1337 02-14-2012 07:45 PM

Nice, but is there something wrong with shifting at or slightly above redline?

Snik 02-14-2012 07:53 PM

In for laters when i have fast internet.

BMWTek 02-14-2012 07:54 PM

Unless u have a performance software that eliminates your rev limiter, you shouldn't have any trouble hitting the red. The car was designed that way as a "fail safe" so you don't over rev. But if you so happen to go from 3r to 2nd gear or somehow 1st, kiss it goodbye :p

BMWTek 02-14-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snikwad (Post 14083628)
In for laters when i have fast internet.

???

Blocked Out 03-29-2012 08:41 PM

BMWTek, everything looks fun and games, I like it.

A few things I noticed. First, nice AKG shifter, its one of my favorites. But your shifter is going crazy on gas, there is SOOO much movement. I'd suggests you get new engine/tranny mounts and replace your shifter bushes. That much shifter movement isnt safe , it could easily cause a money shift or a misshift when you least expect it.

Get those replaced and enjoy the car