E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Intake Recommendations for E46 M3 (for best gains) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=903055)

TURBO_S2K 02-12-2012 06:51 PM

Intake Recommendations for E46 M3 (for best gains)

I heaard the best intake for E46 M3 is the CSL airbox.
I've searched and found some nice carbon intakes like

Evolve CSL air box
Carbonio Intake Kit
Delage Airbox

Which is the best for power gains? There are also some carbon intakes on eBay. What about those? Even those no name ones are like $1000+

Drewfus2101 02-13-2012 08:15 AM

What about a DIY long-tube intake? Cost me around $100 and I bet my right arm that it's as good as anything on the market.

hassmaschine 02-13-2012 08:56 AM

well, a CF airbox isn't going to be the best $/hp. But, I don't think you'd neccesarily do one for the HP alone. I think it's really more about the sound. If I had my choice of that list, I'd go for the Evolve box + tune.

I would avoid the cheap airboxes on Ebay. Most are going to be FRP with CF overlays, and who knows how well they are made. The airbox is important to the powerband of the engine, and $1000 is still pretty expensive. a little more gets you known quality.

flipm3 02-13-2012 11:16 PM

Out of those three, the Evolve CF Airbox is easily the highest quality.

When looking for a CF Airbox, the most important part are the trumpets. A lot of those EBay CSL reps or CF Airboxes have altered trumpets that lead to a loss of power. Second, the quality of the CF. I know first hand that the quality of Evolve's CF is near OEM quality, if not better. My Evolve CF Airbox is very thick, strong, perfect weaves, etc. I have seen some reps that are so flimsy and weak. Evolve implemented internal CF bracing to add to the rigidity of the Airbox, similar to the OEM CSL internal bracing. You pay for what you get if that's what you're looking for. Despite having one of my own, I will agree that it's not the most bang for your buck. People buy these CF Airboxes knowing that ahead of time.

What these CF Airboxes do though is raise your potential in making more power out of your motor. When paired with stepped headers, freer flowing exhausts, and cams it will help you increase the potential of power compared to just sticking with OEM or any other intake.

My recommendation. If you are ready to spend the big bucks and go all out, Evolve or OEM CSL are the best out there. If you aren't, then stick with the OEM intake.

Iceman00 02-14-2012 12:40 AM

You don't need an CF airbox or CF anything. Get yourself a long tube intake and call it a day.

hassmaschine 02-14-2012 07:36 AM

who said anything about "needs"? :D

Rob1796 02-15-2012 11:10 AM

If you are willing to spend the big bucks, the CSL style box plus a tune will get you the best results on the S54. If not, there is little power, if any, to really be had from intakes on the S54. If you want to have an intake but don't want to spend a few grand on a CSL style box and tune, just get the AFe or Macht Schnell intake elbow and higher flowing filter.