E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Water Spots help! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=9035)

HH814 05-31-2002 04:34 PM

Water Spots help!

I washed my car today and for some reason, I have some very stubborn waterspots on the hood and trunk...it's very noticeable on black, any of you guys experienced this? Last time my car was washed was about 2 weeks ago, and the car is 5 weeks old so the paint is relatively new. any help will be greatly appreciated, tia

Anthony 05-31-2002 04:40 PM

Very warm water. Good luck

vinnymac 05-31-2002 04:40 PM

Wash it again...

if that doesn't get the spots out...get some claybar and do the entire car...it make a world of difference! :thumbup:

mfino 06-01-2002 11:43 PM

I would recommend using the California Water Blade. It eliminates most of the water spots. Your water could also be the cluprit. Try a good soap, or 3m Imperial Hand Glaze. That stuff works magic...

Ed328ci 06-01-2002 11:50 PM

How about Megiure's Quick Detailer spray?

Ed

mfino 06-01-2002 11:53 PM

Good Call Ed. I usually end it with that too. Works well.

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed328ci
How about Megiure's Quick Detailer spray?

Ed

HH814 06-02-2002 02:06 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, I've tried washing it again, applying Meguire's wax, vinegar, all a few times, wash, soaped, rinsed, vinegar, wax, I also tried Mother's quick detailer, clay bar, carnuba wax...spent about 30 bucks....and it's still there! although not as noticeable...I've given up, i spent about 5-6 hours just to attempt to get rid of it...and something tells me even if i get rid of them, they'll be back tomorrow. The price of a black car....*sigh* I'll try using the blade and the 3M glaze next time.

Gs330Ci 06-02-2002 08:52 AM

Did you wash your car in direct sunlight? If so, that is probably why you have the water spots. Either that, or you didn't dry the car after washing. Never wash your car in direct sunlight, or if the surface is hot.

That doesn't tell you how to gid rid of the spots you have, but will help prevent future spots.

deputydog95 06-02-2002 10:46 AM

It's etched your paint.

You need to use a polish. Polishes have a mild abrasive. It won't hurt your paint. You only use it once in a while. Get some 3m perfect it for dark cars. You can apply it by hand. That will do the trick.

bimmerboy 06-02-2002 10:51 AM

1) As soon as you notice water spots use a quick detailing spray (for future fererence ;) )
2)Wash your car as normal w/ shampoo
3)Rinse
4)Now use distilled vinegar, put on mit or sponge and wipe it on one section at a time and let it sit for 30 to 60 seconds and rinse.
5) When you are done wash and rinse the car again
6) The vinegar removes wax, so wax your car again.

Note:
If water spots are allowed to stay for more than a week or so, the minerals will etch the paint. In this case, using vinegar will remove the mineral spots, but the paint will have etched spots (dimples). It is necessary to use a polish or mild polishing compound to restore the paint surface.

Hope this helps!!:D

wkay 06-02-2002 01:21 PM

Re: Water Spots help!

I'd certainly like to know what the chemisty of water spots is, I've only had a few cars over the years that are susceptible to them and dont know why. I mean, with clear coat and waxes, they shouldnt even form, cant think of any other surfaces that are so effected and, in the case of glass, you can get them off with more water. I had one car so bad you couldnt even wash it in the shade, dry instantly, and not see big white circles everywhere. Got so bad I eventually had to take a polishing compound to the car to remove them and it did prevent recurrence, though the finish was an older one. Whatever you do, dont try ammoniated products, they'll dull the finish permanently.

bimmerboy 06-02-2002 01:25 PM

When water evaporated off of your car's paint, it leaves begind the trace elements it contains. Calcium and metals are the most damaging elements found in tap water, whereas rainwater may contain damaging acids and air pollutants.

Conrad 06-02-2002 01:26 PM

I just use Meguire's Polish.

Scoot 06-02-2002 07:59 PM

The harder and more concentrated the minerals are in your water supply, the more likely you will have water spots. Well water is the worst. To greatly reduce them, install a water softener (or wash at a friend's house with one).