E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Not just one problem(gas not getting into the tank etc.,) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=904810)

yash 02-21-2012 12:25 PM

Not just one problem(gas not getting into the tank etc.,)
 
Hi, sorry for the long story.
I have a 2002 325xi, it was running great. Went to get oil change(and coolant top off as coolant level is low) at a dealer and he recommended some things(rear brakes,outer cv boots, one tire, front stabilizer link, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket). So after coming back, I went out of town for 4 days. By the time I got back that tire got flat. I have a spare so installed the spare and went to fill up the gas. After like a gallon the gas is not getting inside the tank. Tried at a diff. gas station but d same result.Now the coolant light came back again. I reached out to some mechanics so as to get the things done at less cost (I'm a student). I even ordered almost all the parts. But none of them showed up for two weeks. Now, the car is not evn starting. Its showing the low battery and "OIL" lights too. Please help.

SamDoe1 02-21-2012 12:45 PM

The gas isn't getting in the tank? Is it flowing out the top or leaking through the bottom? Never heard of this happening before...check for clogs in the fill tube I guess?

As far as the not starting, that might have to do with the lack of gas...

You should check your oil level to make sure you're not low. If you are, check for leaks. Chances are it's leaking from the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing amongst other places. Also check your coolant level to make sure you have enough. You will likely need to address the coolant issue ASAP so you don't blow your head gasket with an overheat. The coolant is likely leaking out of somewhere and a cooling system refresh seems like it's in your very near future.

I'm not sure what you have available to you to DIY stuff but it might be your best bet to save money. Also, don't ever take your car to the dealer for an oil change, you are getting ripped off.

yash 02-21-2012 01:51 PM

It(the fuel) is not getting in at all. I even tried to do that using a fuel can but even then the fuel is coming out. Now the fuel level is very low(I doubt it's even empty becoz the car is not crankng up). I am looking to try DIY (coz I got sick after waiting for 3 mechanics for 3 consecutive weeks), but the fuel problem sounds strange,....for CV boots and springs(I forgot tell about this) I need to buy another jack coz I jave just one to lift ther car up....please advise.....

SamDoe1 02-21-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yash (Post 14105359)
It(the fuel) is not getting in at all. I even tried to do that using a fuel can but even then the fuel is coming out. Now the fuel level is very low(I doubt it's even empty becoz the car is not crankng up). I am looking to try DIY (coz I got sick after waiting for 3 mechanics for 3 consecutive weeks), but the fuel problem sounds strange,....for CV boots and springs(I forgot tell about this) I need to buy another jack coz I jave just one to lift ther car up....please advise.....

The car isn't cranking at all? That might be a dead battery.

Look around the forum. There are DIY instructions for every one of the issues you noted. Except for the gas tank thing, that's just weird...maybe try to borescope the fill tube and see if something is stuck in there?

yash 02-21-2012 03:32 PM

Thanks for your time Sam.......willl see wht I can do......

Rickna 02-21-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 14105459)
The car isn't cranking at all? That might be a dead battery.

Look around the forum. There are DIY instructions for every one of the issues you noted. Except for the gas tank thing, that's just weird...maybe try to borescope the fill tube and see if something is stuck in there?

Borescope-damn good idea!

Kubica 02-21-2012 08:43 PM

This sounds like the infamous spider's nest clogging the gas tank vent!

White_Knuckles 02-21-2012 08:44 PM

Okay, how about being more descriptive with these issues? Can you send a thin tube down to the tank bottom such as 1/2" clear vinyl tubing? Go buy a 5' cutting and probe the fill neck path. Maybe someone stuffed a tennis ball in there? You don't need a scope just a simple hose to where you can feed it down and blow bubbles in the fuel. If the hose won't go down, an obstruction may be present. Don't try and ram it through!

You say it won't crank now? A simple battery charge may be in order. But you have to tell us the no start symptom with info like the lights dim when you hit the key. Or it's making a clicking noise. The oil and coolant indicators will come on with a slight amount down but you absolutely have to verify how far down things are. No low fluid condition will prevent cranking.

Longer posts with accurate info. are better then bits and pieces we have to try and assemble.

yash 02-22-2012 08:05 AM

Yeah I can do that. The lights don't go dim but it's making a clicking noise while trying to start.The vehicle is out in the snow (our complex doesnt have any garages for cars). The mechanic told that the oil leak was very minimal and suggested to do the gaskets(oil filter housing and valve cover) within like 2 months(but this situation is like after 3 weeks and that too because the mechanics did not show up as said). As I said the coolant was topped off during the oil change. I checked the coolant level(knob) last sunday and its very low. I cant understand why everything shows up right after coming back from the oil change and vehicle inspection. As of now this is all the information I have. I will check the oil level today evening. Please guide me if I have to check anything else.

jasonbimmer 02-22-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yash (Post 14108213)
Yeah I can do that. The lights don't go dim but it's making a clicking noise while trying to start.The vehicle is out in the snow (our complex doesnt have any garages for cars). The mechanic told that the oil leak was very minimal and suggested to do the gaskets(oil filter housing and valve cover) within like 2 months(but this situation is like after 3 weeks and that too because the mechanics did not show up as said). As I said the coolant was topped off during the oil change. I checked the coolant level(knob) last sunday and its very low. I cant understand why everything shows up right after coming back from the oil change and vehicle inspection. As of now this is all the information I have. I will check the oil level today evening. Please guide me if I have to check anything else.

you need to find whats leaking and fix it. ranting on here wont get you anywhere.

yash 02-22-2012 10:47 AM

I wanted to know some things like, these problems are not connected (if anything in the engine activates the fuel shut-off or something like that) etc., If I can know right away about what to fix, I would n't be here. Excuse me guyz, if anyone feels like a ranting :)

SamDoe1 02-22-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yash (Post 14108213)
Yeah I can do that. The lights don't go dim but it's making a clicking noise while trying to start.The vehicle is out in the snow (our complex doesnt have any garages for cars). The mechanic told that the oil leak was very minimal and suggested to do the gaskets(oil filter housing and valve cover) within like 2 months(but this situation is like after 3 weeks and that too because the mechanics did not show up as said). As I said the coolant was topped off during the oil change. I checked the coolant level(knob) last sunday and its very low. I cant understand why everything shows up right after coming back from the oil change and vehicle inspection. As of now this is all the information I have. I will check the oil level today evening. Please guide me if I have to check anything else.

If your coolant is low after 3 weeks, you have a leak somewhere. Don't bother screwing around trying to find it in the cold, just replace the cooling system to be safe. It's ~$350 for parts plus whatever labor if you decide to take it to a shop. If you think that's expensive, you should see how much a new engine/head gasket + install costs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by yash (Post 14108672)
I wanted to know some things like, these problems are not connected (if anything in the engine activates the fuel shut-off or something like that) etc., If I can know right away about what to fix, I would n't be here. Excuse me guyz, if anyone feels like a ranting :)

Yes, the rev limiter but I don't think that's the issue here... :)

yash 02-22-2012 12:10 PM

Hmm....will update after checking out everything(mainly including the probing of fill neck path) and trying out some DIY stuff......Thanks White Knuckles and Sam......


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use