E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   time to put in some new shocks (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=904933)

john311tran 02-21-2012 10:14 PM

time to put in some new shocks

hey folks,

first time with bmw shocks.. in fact, first time changing a rear shock on any car. i've done front shocks on my gf's vw jetta before so i have an idea as what i'm doing but i'll find a few diy's on this forum.

my question.

i currently have a 325xiT wagon. i've seen countless threads on shock spring combo and yadda yadda.

the thing is, i'm not looking for a pimp ride. my wagon is my dd (until i can get my m3) and i spend a lot of time backpacking, snowboarding, lugging around 2-3 people and a dog. i don't need anything lower.

currently my car has ridden pretty harsh since i've gotten it. i suspect the shocks were on their way out and are now pretty much gone.

i'm debating a few things. do i go OEM or do i go aftermarket. if i do go OEM do i go with sports or the regular?

i'm assuming with the sport shocks i'll need to pick up the sport springs. will i be able to run rear sports with front regulars? if so what kind of ride will that give me? overall the sport shocks will give me a stiffer/firmer/more responsive ride than the regular shocks and ride a bit lower?

what about aftermarket. if i'm looking for a responsive ride but not have a serious drop to it (i'm ok with 1 or so inch drop from stock, but nothing more)

all information is appreciated.

bests,

john

stevenluczynski 02-21-2012 10:20 PM

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...-cup-kits.aspx

john311tran 02-21-2012 10:24 PM

i'm assuming that's for a set of 4. i only need the rears, but i guess i might as well do all 4. a lot more than i wanted to spend though :-(

stevenluczynski 02-21-2012 10:30 PM

The cup kit is the best bang for the buck for keeping the Oem feel, Switching rear shocks without the fronts is never a good idea as well as mixing and matching, It can lead to undesirable handling effects

john311tran 02-21-2012 10:31 PM

what about these:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ock%20Absorber

seems like a significantly cheaper alternative?

john

shadow 2 02-21-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenluczynski (Post 14106990)

None of these fit xi models.

stevenluczynski 02-21-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john311tran (Post 14107032)
what about these:

john

If you're not switching springs they seem like a good idea, but I would advise on switching all four shocks. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this

shadow 2 02-21-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john311tran (Post 14107032)
what about these:

john

They are OEM so they should work fine. Your rear springs are probably shot/rusted out too.

stevenluczynski 02-21-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow 2 (Post 14107105)

Damn I missed the XI part sorry! :tsk:

john311tran 02-21-2012 10:51 PM

what about going from regular to sport shocks.. i'm assuming i will need sport springs as well right? i want to most likely stick with OEM. germans know what they were doing when they were building the 325xi.

john

e46alfonso 02-22-2012 01:59 AM

:facepalm: what is this crap?

SamDoe1 02-22-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john311tran (Post 14107141)
what about going from regular to sport shocks.. i'm assuming i will need sport springs as well right? i want to most likely stick with OEM. germans know what they were doing when they were building the 325xi.

john

For the Xi, there is no difference between sport and non-sport in terms of OE suspension. It is all the same high riding soft suspension. The Germans definitely knew what they were doing, they were giving you extra ground clearance for "situations you may encounter due to ownership of AWD".

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow 2 (Post 14107105)

^ This.

Get Koni yellow adjustables and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Buy both from Tire Rack. Also replace your upper strut mounts, upper shock mounts, the upper and lower rubber bits on the front struts, and any hardware removed during the install (upper strut bolts, pinch bolts, upper shock bolts, rear shock gasket, etc). You are also going to need an alignment done when you complete this job.

This is going to cost you ~$1k when you're all done.

saltycdawg 02-22-2012 01:31 PM

Will an E39 M3 complete suspension fit on the E39 XI? So I kept reading, and hit the suspension thread; it pretty much says the only thing that works is the rear shocks.

The front suspension on our XI's will not interchange with a RWD car?

Espeedy 02-22-2012 05:35 PM

Get Koni yellow adjustables and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Buy both from Tire Rack. Also replace your upper strut mounts, upper shock mounts, the upper and lower rubber bits on the front struts, and any hardware removed during the install (upper strut bolts, pinch bolts, upper shock bolts, rear shock gasket, etc). You are also going to need an alignment done when you complete this job.
This is going to cost you ~$1k when you're all done.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same situation. 2001 330Xi with 61K miles but I already have the Eibach springs. Where do I get the "upper strut mounts, upper shock mounts, the upper and lower rubber bits on the front struts?" I'll take it to Brake Masters for the alignment.

Rickna 02-22-2012 08:04 PM

Does anyone know if the xit's have the same issue as xi's with broken rear springs?

john311tran 02-23-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46alfonso (Post 14107682)
:facepalm: what is this crap?

just trying to figure out what works with my car, that's all.

john

SamDoe1 02-23-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickna (Post 14110683)
Does anyone know if the xit's have the same issue as xi's with broken rear springs?

They use the same springs so probably? I have no idea though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espeedy (Post 14110060)
I'm in the same situation. 2001 330Xi with 61K miles but I already have the Eibach springs. Where do I get the "upper strut mounts, upper shock mounts, the upper and lower rubber bits on the front struts?" I'll take it to Brake Masters for the alignment.

Dealership, pelican parts, getbmwparts, thebmwpartstore, ECS tuning...choices are endless.

john311tran 02-23-2012 10:17 AM

what is so special about the koni adjustables... i'm assuming the ride height is adjustable?

as stated before, i've never dealt with this type of shock/strut. i've done repairs/fixes but they were always oem stuff, slap off, slap on, no alignment etc required.

john

Dreamliner330 02-23-2012 10:19 AM

^softness/firmness adjustable, not height. In your position, I'd probably just go OEM.

See the link in my sig for a parts list.

SamDoe1 02-23-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 (Post 14112591)
^softness/firmness adjustable, not height. In your position, I'd probably just go OEM.

See the link in my sig for a parts list.

^ Yup, this is the difference. Only advantage is that if you want to go to a "sport" style suspension while maintaining a daily driver feel, the Eibachs are really the only way to go. If the sport doesn't matter to you, then go OEM.