E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Guess what UUC has? GENERATION 2 FCABs! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=909774)

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 03-16-2012 12:12 PM

Guess what UUC has? GENERATION 2 FCABs!
 
Available for:
all 2000-2006 M3: [ CLICK HERE ]

all 1999-2005 330, 328, 325, 323, 318 (all variants); [ CLICK HERE ]
For our complete website catalog, please [ CLICK HERE ]

Mango 03-16-2012 12:16 PM

Awesome! I'll definitely consider these next time. What are the differences between the M and non-M? Could you use M on non-M?

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 03-16-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 14192303)
Awesome! I'll definitely consider these next time. What are the differences between the M and non-M? Could you use M on non-M?

Basically the same design, but critical dimensions are different. You cannot interchange them (and there wouldn't be any point anyway!).

Brackets are also different. M3 has provision for bolting on the under-tray plus other dimensional changes.

Bottom line: order the parts designed for your car.

Mango 03-16-2012 12:39 PM

Cool. Sounds good. I guess this is because you're taking the bracket into account. Cause IIRC, some people use M3 CAB on their non-Ms... or maybe I have that mistaken for another car. but it appears from what you say that both perform equally. What are the life expectancy on these? And would the fact that these prevent fore-aft movement would that put extra strain on the CA balljoints? Or negligible?

trizzuth 03-16-2012 02:03 PM

I don't think these prevent fore and aft movement, it says they handle all of the torsional forces the normal bushings do. I almost creamed myself when I saw this. Bout time someone came up with a permanent solution to one of the most often replaced parts on the E46!!! You gooooooo Rob! Next time I am due, I will seriously consider these depending on how long I forsee myself keeping my car (probs forever).

This also reminded me of the Wheeler Dealers show I saw last night on the Lotus Elan. It had weak guibo's because the rubber couldn't handle all of the vibrations of the drive shaft, so some lady and her company created a total solution CV joint with shaft included to fully replace the drive shaft and guibo's. She said it should last indefinitely.

LOVE the limited lifetime warranty on these! Rob, can you explain what the "limited" part refers to? thanks!

Mango 03-16-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trizzuth (Post 14192869)
I don't think these prevent fore and aft movement, it says they handle all of the torsional forces the normal bushings do. I almost creamed myself when I saw this. Bout time someone came up with a permanent solution to one of the most often replaced parts on the E46!!! You gooooooo Rob! Next time I am due, I will seriously consider these depending on how long I forsee myself keeping my car (probs forever).

This also reminded me of the Wheeler Dealers show I saw last night on the Lotus Elan. It had weak guibo's because the rubber couldn't handle all of the vibrations of the drive shaft, so some lady and her company created a total solution CV joint with shaft included to fully replace the drive shaft and guibo's. She said it should last indefinitely.

LOVE the limited lifetime warranty on these! Rob, can you explain what the "limited" part refers to? thanks!

from uuc's site:

The OE design of the FCAB is a simple rubber bushing. The part itself is subjected to torsional forces (twisting), lateral forces (side to side), and longitudinal forces (in and out).


All that is common sense by just looking at it visually, but I think UUC is implying that the solid nature of this new product prevents any movement in the above directions

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 03-16-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 14192405)
What are the life expectancy on these?

We really don't expect them to wear out while any particular person owns the car. 100K? 200K? Possible depending on environmental factors, grit that could get it, that sort of thing. But realistically, we don't think you'd ever have to replace them... that's why the lifetime warranty is easy for us to offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 14192405)
And would the fact that these prevent fore-aft movement would that put extra strain on the CA balljoints? Or negligible?

That's a reasonable expectation, to have some extension of the balljoint life... but a lot of the balljoint wear occurs from standard motion cycling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trizzuth (Post 14192869)
I don't think these prevent fore and aft movement, it says they handle all of the torsional forces the normal bushings do.

The limitation of fore/aft movement is how the OE bushing allows the arm to push backwards further, especially as the OE rubber weakens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trizzuth (Post 14192869)
LOVE the limited lifetime warranty on these! Rob, can you explain what the "limited" part refers to? thanks!

"Limited" means we don't cover accident damage, fire damage, if they were put on backwards, if they were deliberately modified, silly stuff like that. They are covered for all reasonable use.

Mesa3077Boogie 03-16-2012 03:20 PM

That price is awful. Forget about it. got some decent poly ones already installed in brackets for under $100 , 27K and still tight.

nk_zhp 03-16-2012 03:27 PM

I agree on the price. Kudos to the product designers but I find that the HD bushings provide an awesome balance between rigidity and comfort, cost less than half of these and last 80K+.

Mango 03-16-2012 03:33 PM

These products cost time and money to design, test, and manufacture, especially for a relatively smaller company. I think the price is spot on. Track guys might benefit more from this

TxZHP04 03-16-2012 03:40 PM

I'd be interested to learn more about what has been done to address the reported shortcomings of the 1st Gen product which has been around for over 4 years now. How was the control arm interface modified to address the dimensional variations found among the various brands of CAs? Has the bearing been upgraded, I seem to recall some sort of complaints related to those? Are the bearings expected to be maintenance free or should people plan to clean and repack them with grease periodically (and if so, at what interval)?

flashmeow 03-16-2012 03:40 PM

Rob,

I already have the gen1. What is the difference.between gen1 and gen2?

sent from HTC EVO

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 03-16-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 14193230)
I'd be interested to learn more about what has been done to address the reported shortcomings of the 1st Gen product which has been around for over 4 years now. How was the control arm interface modified to address the dimensional variations found among the various brands of CAs?

Effectively, we've turned it inside out. The original version had a central metal sleeve that went around the control arm pin, with damping material around that.

The new version has the damping material in the center, so it is slightly tight on the control arm pin, gripping it.

To refresh the understanding of the original problem, some aftermarket control arms are cast out of spec... they don't match the correct dimensions set by BMW, so they would be loose in our bearing which was designed to match the BMW dimensions. Not critical with the OE rubber, but the same flexible nature of urethane also solves the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 14193230)
Has the bearing been upgraded, I seem to recall some sort of complaints related to those?

The noise was due to the problem expalined above, the arms loose within the bearing. Solved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxZHP04 (Post 14193230)
Are the bearings expected to be maintenance free or should people plan to clean and repack them with grease periodically (and if so, at what interval)?

As with any lubricated part, periodic maintenance is recommended. How often depends mostly on environmental factors, how much grit and road salt is used in your region. The good news is that it is very easy to service these. If you had to do it any more frequently than 2-3 years, I would be surprised!

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 03-16-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nk_zhp (Post 14193187)
I agree on the price. Kudos to the product designers but I find that the HD bushings provide an awesome balance between rigidity and comfort, cost less than half of these and last 80K+.

Very different part. Might as well say that a 323 is reasonably quick and transports you to work perfect well, why waste your money on the M3. Same logic, but not everybody would agree with you!

Different parts for different purposes. Upgraded suspension components like thesea are intended for the enthusiast driver who expects durable and track-worthy performance.

flashmeow 03-17-2012 11:01 AM

as you guys already know I am a big fan of UUC and have been defending the company on here religiously. however, the only UUC product that I was unhappy with was my GEN1 control arm bushing.
I have the ZHP control arms (OE) and the control arms actually slip in and out of the UUC control arms bushing when I drive over speed bumps. I hope this GEN2 will be better. my GEN1 is so bad (I still have it installed) that I just bought some OE control arm bushings and debating whether i should change them out.

I am waiting for some review on the GEN2 and if the reviews are great then I am going to buy them. If not, I am going to stick to OE/OEM bushings

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 03-17-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashtwosix (Post 14195705)
I am waiting for some review on the GEN2 and if the reviews are great then I am going to buy them. If not, I am going to stick to OE/OEM bushings

Please call me on Monday - 678-679-5360, I'd like to review an option with you. Thanks!

yetieater 03-17-2012 10:05 PM

66mm wishbones? Is this the size that's on the ZHP control arms?

Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks 03-18-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yetieater (Post 14197180)
66mm wishbones? Is this the size that's on the ZHP control arms?

The number itself refers to the updated bushing size that came with the updated arm specs from BMW. BMW has made a few changes to the bushing and arm assembly over the years (first in late 1999, then in 2001) to deal with the unexpectedly short lifespan of the OE parts.

No matter what, if you are replacing arms, you will get the correct arms from any source... nobody makes the old-style any more. Any 2001 model or older should definitely have the updated arms installed at the same time as the FCABs.

And also, no matter what, if you've got arms on your car that are getting close to 10 years old (or more than 50K miles), you should be replacing them anyway at this point. The ball joints wear out and are not serviceable, the entire arm must be replaced.

330 ZHP arms are technically a different part number than standard E46 arms... but they are 100% interchangeable. To clear up a persistent misunderstanding that I hear from customers, 330 ZHP arms are not same as E46 M3 arms.

flashmeow 03-19-2012 04:47 PM

Rob...you have PM!!!!

Mango 03-19-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks (Post 14196405)
Please call me on Monday - 678-679-5360, I'd like to review an option with you. Thanks!

Does this option include a FAT discount on the bushing providing flashtwosix provides a great review? :woot:

In for review


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use