E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Premium Gas or Unleaded for -04 330ci- (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914357)

mcaltinsoy 04-07-2012 10:33 PM

Premium Gas or Unleaded for -04 330ci-
 
Hey everyone, i just bought my 330ci a few days ago. I always had japanese cars before. BMW seems like a different language to me nowadays. My question is it says on my fuel gauge Unleaded gas ... but anyone out there using premium at all?

brontosaurus 04-07-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaltinsoy (Post 14270295)
Hey everyone, i just bought my 330ci a few days ago. I always had japanese cars before. BMW seems like a different language to me nowadays. My question is it says on my fuel gauge Unleaded gas ... but anyone out there using premium at all?

Christ dude, only put premium in it.

Perez 04-07-2012 10:34 PM

All gas is unleaded...

carcus 04-07-2012 10:35 PM

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!! Just add water

katu 04-07-2012 10:40 PM

You want Unleaded (which is all they sell as far as I know) and AT LEAST Premium 91+ octane.

TitanSl33pr 04-07-2012 10:41 PM

¡¡¡LMFAO!!! Classic!!! Welcome to E46Fanatics! My friend, be sure to consult ur manual (and I'm this caseur fuel door) first before asking those kinda ?s smh n still lmfao!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Bimmer App

carcus 04-07-2012 10:45 PM

Can you actually run 89 regular unleaded in it though....yes you can. Not the best and altitude plays a part in octane.

Buying a car that you have no idea on what type of gas you need....classic. You might want to check out some threads on what repair bills might cost and what parts you need to replace for PM. Also....check out the oil change requirements. This site will give you what you need if you dig. Try the search button. Please read the manual if there is still one in your car. If not, there is one posted on here somewhere in a thread to download.

NOVAbimmer 04-07-2012 10:54 PM

You'll be fine running regular unleaded.

If you find any leaded gas, I'm sure the EPA has a bounty out for that kind of thing.

rfbmwfan 04-07-2012 11:02 PM

You can run with regular unleaded, the car's sensors and engine management computer can adjust for different levels of octane. But it's recommended to use premium. The owner's manual states you might notice decreased performance and less mpg. If you're too cheap to buy premium (which is the recommended fuel for your car) then maybe a BMW isn't for you. Honda's don't require premium, or Hyundai's.

NOVAbimmer 04-07-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfbmwfan (Post 14270379)
You can run with regular unleaded, the car's sensors and engine management computer can adjust for different levels of octane. But it's recommended to use premium. The owner's manual states you might notice decreased performance and less mpg. If you're too cheap to buy premium (which is the recommended fuel for your car) then maybe a BMW isn't for you. Honda's don't require premium, or Hyundai's.

your butt dyno isn't sensitive enough to miss the 2-3 peak hp loss you may suffer while trolling the streets in your 323.

Cadillacs don't require premium, either. Unless you're buying a V.

Blocked Out 04-07-2012 11:16 PM

It says use 91 octane minimum

Open your owners manual and read.

I

Redline 04-07-2012 11:23 PM

had some girl behind me pumping gas into her e46, i happened to notice she was putting regular in there and i was like you know you're only supposed to put premium in there, she was like oh sh!t and stopped, asked me what will happen and i told her the engine will blow up :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: she was like holy fvck i just got this car 3 days ago :facepalm:

codyfunk 04-07-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///M=Power (Post 14270423)
had some girl behind me pumping gas into her e46, i happened to notice she was putting regular in there and i was like you know you're only supposed to put premium in there, she was like oh sh!t and stopped, asked me what will happen and i told her the engine will blow up :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: she was like holy fvck i just got this car 3 days ago :facepalm:

:rofl: classic!

NOVAbimmer 04-07-2012 11:26 PM

OP, here's how to test:

1. Put in regular unleaded.
2. Listen for engine knocking/pinging
3. If no knocking/pinging, you're good.

4. If knocking/pinging, take car to mechanic for diagnosis. Possibly bad knock sensors.

rfbmwfan 04-07-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer (Post 14270386)
your butt dyno isn't sensitive enough to miss the 2-3 peak hp loss you may suffer while trolling the streets in your 323.

Cadillacs don't require premium, either. Unless you're buying a V.

Looks like I struck a nerve there.. :jack:

Anyways, the engineers figured there would be cheap a$$es out there or idiots who don't want to trust (or read their owners manual) what BMW has spent millions and possibly billions into research finding out what their engines run best on.

But, obviously you are smarter than BMW engineers.

MercForHire 04-07-2012 11:44 PM

Again 91 octane nazis rule the board.
87 is fine, save your money.

Vigilante 04-08-2012 01:26 AM

Up till now I always used premium fuel with octane 98 (BP) or 97 (Shell) but with the gas prices these days ($ 2.50 per Liter /$ 9.46 per Gallon :banghead:) I have to switch to a cheaper fuel with octane 95 (lowest octane available). With the premium fuel I get better milage, around 405 miles per tank, I once got German premium fuel, it has an octane of 101, that gave me 440 miles per tank :thumbup:

carcus 04-08-2012 01:32 AM

And now...on to the gas threads;)

OP, please read the oil threads and the reset clock thread.

shanneba 04-08-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercForHire (Post 14270470)
Again 91 octane nazis rule the board.
87 is fine, save your money.

The Car will adapt to changes in octane AS LONG AS THE Knock Sensors are working. If there is an issue with them the car will default to ignition timing map for 91 RON octane.

Our US Octane ratings are R+M/2 or the average of the Research and Motor octanes. (91 RON is about the same as 87 AKI used in the US)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r.../e46/index.htm
Self-diagnosis and emergency operation of the knock control system

Self-diagnosis of the knock control system includes following checks:
Check for sensor signal interference/line break, plug connector defective etc.
Self-test of entire evaluation circuit
Check of basic engine noise level detected by the knock sensor

The knock control system is switched off if a fault is found during the course of one of these checks. The emergency program adopts the task of controlling the ignition timing. At the same time, a defect code is stored in the defect code memory. The emergency program ensures damage-free operation as from minimum RON 91. It depends on the engine load, speed and temperature.

shanneba 04-08-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaltinsoy (Post 14270295)
Hey everyone, i just bought my 330ci a few days ago. I always had japanese cars before. BMW seems like a different language to me nowadays. My question is it says on my fuel gauge Unleaded gas ... but anyone out there using premium at all?

Welcome to the Forum.

Here is a great link to information on the BMW E46 you just bought:
It will answer many questions you will have about your car.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

If you didn't get an owner's manual, you can download and read one from here:

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/3manuals/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use