E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Grinding sound (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=9148)

AndyXXL 06-01-2002 04:46 PM

Grinding sound

Hey guys, I keep hearing this soft grinding sound coming from the right side. It sounds like the brake pad is touching the rotor. Usually this happens when I'm going 20-40mph, and gets a little louder when I apply brakes. But most of the time it appears during normal driving, not braking.
Any suggestions? BTW, my car has 500 miles.
Thanks in advance.

valerie 06-01-2002 09:00 PM

really, if it sounds like its associated with the brakes and your car is under warranty IMHO the best thing to do is bring it to a dealer service dept. and they will cover it if something is wrong.

if you really step hard on the brakes from a moderate speed do they squeal? i had that and they had to replace my brakes/rotors.

AndyXXL 06-01-2002 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by valerie
really, if it sounds like its associated with the brakes and your car is under warranty IMHO the best thing to do is bring it to a dealer service dept. and they will cover it if something is wrong.

if you really step hard on the brakes from a moderate speed do they squeal? i had that and they had to replace my brakes/rotors.

No, they don't squeal. I try not to brake hard since the car is still in the break-in period.

Edison@JleviSW 06-01-2002 11:03 PM

Break in period really only applies to limiting your acceleration, meaning that you should let off the gas. Breaking hard won't hurt ne thing...thats what their there for:thumbup:

wkay 06-01-2002 11:39 PM

Re: Grinding sound

Maybe a pebble lodged under the pad?

valerie 06-02-2002 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by N1985
Break in period really only applies to limiting your acceleration, meaning that you should let off the gas. Breaking hard won't hurt ne thing...thats what their there for:thumbup:
exactly what I was going to say :) in spite of the sound of it the break in only applies to engine break in, not brakes or other things

stomp on the brakes and test the ABS, it wont hurt anything and if it does squeal you can tell the service tech and it may point to a specific issue

BimmerSamster 06-02-2002 12:21 PM

err...NO..break in applies to ALL things

Break in period applies to all things that have to do with friction, mechanical moving parts. This applies to engine, transmission AND brakes.

Andy is right in breaking softly during breakin procedures to make the rotors and pads wear correctly...I believe one of the UUC guys posted about this awhile ago, AND i believe you guys should check out the manual too...in the chapter that reads "BREAK IN PROCEDURES"

but Andy is beyond the 300 miles for break in of brakes so he should be good at this point. (although when next the rotors and pads are replaced, I'd follow the 300 miles breakin procedures of brakes again...)I would still take it to dealer if I were you.

valerie 06-02-2002 12:31 PM

Re: err...NO..break in applies to ALL things

Quote:

Originally posted by BimmerSamster
Break in period applies to all things that have to do with friction, mechanical moving parts. This applies to engine, transmission AND brakes.

Andy is right in breaking softly during breakin procedures to make the rotors and pads wear correctly...I believe one of the UUC guys posted about this awhile ago, AND i believe you guys should check out the manual too...in the chapter that reads "BREAK IN PROCEDURES"

but Andy is beyond the 300 miles for break in of brakes so he should be good at this point. (although when next the rotors and pads are replaced, I'd follow the 300 miles breakin procedures of brakes again...)I would still take it to dealer if I were you.

well, i assume that people consult the manual.

since you are driving in the real world though it stands to reason that it is unrealistic to drive around overly concerned about applying the brakes firmly. many will say that properly seating the brake pads (which requires some heavy braking) will do a better job of taking care of the brakes and rotors and make them last longer.

and i reiterate, i would take it to the dealer with something like this

nel323ci 06-02-2002 01:10 PM

Andy, I think I know what you are talking about. I just found some weird noise coming from my front right. Its not actual grinding but rather sounds like something is rubbing or something. It's hard to explain what it sounds like but I hear it around 15-25 and when I brake lightly. I am going to the dealership soon so hopefully they will fix it. Post it if you fix yours anytime soon please! I would like to know what it is.

BMWxTREME 06-02-2002 01:56 PM

I have the same problem. Dealer told me there was some rust building up on my rotors and this was what was causing the noise(I don't know if he did anything to solve the problem cuz it's still there). He then proceeded to tell me that I would need some new front brake pads too---which he says AREN'T under warranty so now I have to get new front brake pads after only 15k miles on the car.

AndyXXL 06-02-2002 03:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Last night I was able to hear the sound even with the windows up. It's more of a rubbing noise, something like 'ksh ksh ksh' :eeps:
Bringing a 2 weeks old car to a service department doesn't make me very happy. :sad:

On the other hand, I installed a BMW alarm myself last night, so I have to bring the car to the dealer anyway to get it activated.