E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   clunk coming from rear after shock replacement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=916537)

mvitale27 04-18-2012 02:08 PM

clunk coming from rear after shock replacement

just like the title states, i had my rear shocks replaced and now there is a clunking noise anytime i go over any type of small bump in the road. i searched this and found many threads but none with a solution. can anyone point me in the right direction?

SamDoe1 04-18-2012 02:15 PM

Did you replace upper shock mounts? If no, they are broken. If yes, you didn't tighten them up properly.

Did you put that cone shaped washer on the right way? It should be backwards of the way it seems like it should go.

Did you break or detach a sway bar end link?

Did you tighten everything to torque spec with a calibrated torque wrench?

Best way to find out what's clunking is to jack the car up and start shaking things. Should be fairly obvious when you do that.

Kubica 04-18-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 14306074)
Did you replace upper shock mounts? If no, they are broken. If yes, you didn't tighten them up properly.

Did you put that cone shaped washer on the right way? It should be backwards of the way it seems like it should go.

Best way to find out what's clunking is to jack the car up and start shaking things. Should be fairly obvious when you do that.

+1.

Plus...torque everything down with all four wheels on the ground, and make sure the brake backing plate didn't get bent.

mvitale27 04-18-2012 02:30 PM

thanks for giving me some things to check out! i didnt do the work myself so i cannot answer those questions. i'll start with the rsm's and work my way from there

mvitale27 04-18-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Everything you said makes sense except why would replacing the shocks automatically mean the rsm's are broken?

TR4G- 04-18-2012 02:45 PM

is it more of a clunk or a rattle sound? I replaced my RSMs and put in coilovers, and still have this rattle. I believe its my RTABS. Replacing them this time tomorrow! I'll check back with updates!

SamDoe1 04-18-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvitale27 (Post 14306158)
Everything you said makes sense except why would replacing the shocks automatically mean the rsm's are broken?

Judging by age of the car and location in which it's driven, it's very likely that the RSMs are toast. (assuming that they have never been previously replaced)

mvitale27 04-18-2012 03:53 PM

It's definetly more of a clunk, a deeper pitched noise. When I think of a rattle, I think of almost a metal on metal higher pitched noise.

mvitale27 04-18-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 14306230)
Judging by age of the car and location in which it's driven, it's very likely that the RSMs are toast. (assuming that they have never been previously replaced)

Yea I am not sure if they ever have been previously since I bought the car last May. Judging by all the maintenace I have done it is probably safe to say they haven't. Would you recommend replacing them with OEM or aftermarket? Although I just replaced my rear shocks with OEM.. I payed parts only, no labor.. I have been thinking of upgrading to konis/eibachs this summer when I get some new wheels (style 135s?)

SharkmanBMW 04-18-2012 04:16 PM

Other than RSMs, which are likely at least part of the problem...

Do both sides clunk or only one side?
Were the new shocks actually 'new'?
What kind?
If the shocks installed were not identical than the ones removed it could be the cause. Maybe they installed a non-xi part?
Also check rear spring/spring pad is seated properly
These cars notoriously break rear springs, worth a look ;)

TR4G- 04-18-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvitale27 (Post 14306477)
It's definetly more of a clunk, a deeper pitched noise. When I think of a rattle, I think of almost a metal on metal higher pitched noise.

ok good, I agree with that. So our noises are definately not the same :tsk:

SamDoe1 04-18-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvitale27 (Post 14306492)
Yea I am not sure if they ever have been previously since I bought the car last May. Judging by all the maintenace I have done it is probably safe to say they haven't. Would you recommend replacing them with OEM or aftermarket? Although I just replaced my rear shocks with OEM.. I payed parts only, no labor.. I have been thinking of upgrading to konis/eibachs this summer when I get some new wheels (style 135s?)

I did OEM + reinforcement plates. There are others out there, but I didn't see the need to pay that much more.

Kubica 04-18-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samdoe1 (Post 14306809)
i did oem + reinforcement plates. There are others out there, but i didn't see the need to pay that much more.

+1.

mvitale27 04-19-2012 09:13 AM

I replaced my RSM's with OEM and a reinforcement place and then retightened almost every nut and bolt on the rear suspension. Clunk is gone. Not really sure what did it because I didn't test drive at each point, but I'm just glad it's gone.

I believe the shocks that were installed were Sachs? I could be mistaken. It was 11:30 last night when I got home from school and started doing this.

SamDoe1 04-19-2012 09:30 AM

^ :thumbsup:

Nice work.

mvitale27 04-19-2012 09:59 AM

YAY 1 more problem solved.. 99 to go!

CharlzO 04-19-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvitale27 (Post 14309039)
YAY 1 more problem solved.. 99 to go!

99 Problems but a RSM ain't one!

mvitale27 04-19-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlzO (Post 14309091)
99 Problems but a RSM ain't one!

I might have to put that in my sig!

Gepetto 11-14-2012 01:02 PM

I have the same problem. Recently (August) changed shocks and struts with Bilstein HD set from Tunermotorsport.com. Also got RSM's from them that are aftermarket (). Could these be the culprit? The car handles great now, just this weird clunk noise...I had a local dealer to the install as I didn't have a garage at the time, nor the right tools.

SamDoe1 11-14-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gepetto (Post 14899452)
I have the same problem. Recently (August) changed shocks and struts with Bilstein HD set from Tunermotorsport.com. Also got RSM's from them that are aftermarket (). Could these be the culprit? The car handles great now, just this weird clunk noise...I had a local dealer to the install as I didn't have a garage at the time, nor the right tools.

Do the following. Especially the last one.

Quote: