E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   197.11 RWHP on Dyno Jet... tech said it was "unofficial." (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=917188)

SPDSKTR 04-22-2012 09:42 AM

197.11 RWHP on Dyno Jet... tech said it was "unofficial."

They didn't tap into an ignition coil, so engine speed wasn't recorded. The tech said it was a low number and should be higher if engine speed is read. A couple guys standing around also said Dyno Jet tends to run a little low, anyway.

So... what's your take on that?

EDIT: I have an ECIS intake, Bimmer Brakes headers, an AC Schnitzer muffler, and I'm missing a resonator, along with staggered 18" E92 ///M3 replica wheels.

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.

aggieE46 04-22-2012 10:37 AM

Wheels are hurting you a bit. I hope you didn't pay for that dyno if they didn't hook it up correctly.

I think you should be about 210ish. Although, a Shark would help, a lot.

4th gear pull?

Scooby24 04-22-2012 10:40 AM

Dyno jets don't read low. More on the high side depending on how its calibrated.

Blocked Out 04-22-2012 10:45 AM

Dynos arent accurate . Shoul've spent the money you paid for a dyno at the drag strip . It would've been more accurate and much more fun

Jesse M 04-22-2012 11:07 AM

You have a zhp right? I dyno'd mine last year. Got 210.5 and 196tq. on a "mustang dyno". 113k miles, stock dirty airbox, ss rep headers to 3" magnaflow. codes up the ass and 18x9 csl.

Since then I've flashed to euro software, (no cats or sap), and getting a new intake setup soon. I'll post new numbers when that happens.

Iceman00 04-22-2012 11:43 AM

Euro-software = no gains. Your car is hurting for a tune/reflash, but it is true the numbers will not be as accurate without the rpm hookup.

Blocked Out 04-22-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse M (Post 14317718)
You have a zhp right? I dyno'd mine last year. Got 210.5 and 196tq. on a "mustang dyno". 113k miles, stock dirty airbox, ss rep headers to 3" magnaflow. codes up the ass and 18x9 csl.

Since then I've flashed to euro software, (no cats or sap), and getting a new intake setup soon. I'll post new numbers when that happens.

How and which Euro software did you flash it to? Im asking because in Europe there was never an MS45.1 DME so I was under the impression that the Euro tune can only be done on MS43 cars .

Can you please elaborate on this .

Rob43 04-22-2012 05:46 PM

It has already been said, if the dyno operator didn't hook up correctly who knows, it's worthless IMO. Just for your information, Dynojets are about the highest reading dyno's out there. The reason someone should use a Dynojet is because they've become the standard to compare your numbers against someone else's. Having said that, you need to do your dyno in 4th gear, with RPM (not MPH) & correction set to SAE / smoothing 0.

Agreed, get a Shark Injector.

Take your Bimmer somewhere else & get another Dynojet dyno.

Good luck,
Rob.

SPDSKTR 04-23-2012 08:11 AM

1) It was a public event with discounted dyno, but even then the techs were hooking up ignition wires. :dunno: It's not hard to get to the ones in my car, so I was a little irked about it. But hey... what can I say? It was a fun little event all around (I should post pictures of the Civic with the turbo as big as the motor itself :yikes:).

2) I feel like Shark is probably going to be the only way I can go, primarily because I have no other means of transportation while my DME is out and about (assuming I go the Active Autowerke route). I could always just take a couple days off work, though...

3) Why Shark over AA? I've never really seen a firm answer between the two (and will probably never see one since some people swear by one or the other). I've yet to see any firm numbers on AA's software on a naturally aspirated application. We all know they're proud of their superchargers and the numbers they produce... so why not NA? Is it that bad?

rkneeshaw 04-23-2012 08:14 AM

Getting quality numbers for a tune is indeed a problem. I personally have the ESS tune but have seen no dyno numbers that show a before and after. The few I think I saw of AA showed no gains. I'd love to see some solid proof of the shark, or back-to-back proof of any tune for that matter.

SPDSKTR 04-23-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkneeshaw (Post 14320144)
Getting quality numbers for a tune is indeed a problem. I personally have the ESS tune but have seen no dyno numbers that show a before and after. The few I think I saw of AA showed no gains. I'd love to see some solid proof of the shark, or back-to-back proof of any tune for that matter.

I know a guy who was running his E36 ///M3 at Barber Motorsports Park during an HPDE and installed the Shark between runs. His lap times dropped a few seconds. It was pretty incredible. Then again, this is an ///M3 and not a 330Ci.

Tim13E46 04-23-2012 08:31 AM

I went with the AA tune, have yet to dyno it tho so no numbers to help :/ car seems to pick up a little quicker at high rpms but again.. that doesnt mean much without solid numbers :/ when im back from this deployment ill definitely have it dyno'd and see what it comes up with

lejeunebimmer 04-23-2012 01:03 PM

look around at my thread that I started in here, I posted before and after dynos of AA tune. showed a slight gain.

aggieE46 04-23-2012 01:09 PM

AA tune made 6whp less than the Shark on my car.

SPDSKTR 04-23-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieE46 (Post 14321057)
AA tune made 6whp less than the Shark on my car.

Damnit, man... I guess a Shark is the way to go...

aggieE46 04-23-2012 02:44 PM

Just buy it.

MotorMan 04-23-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

They didn't tap into an ignition coil, so engine speed wasn't recorded. The tech said it was a low number and should be higher if engine speed is read.
How long has this guy been running a dyno? The hp is calculated by accelerating the fixed mass of the dyno using delta roll speed over time, the ignition signal is only required to calc torque. If his dyno reads different hp numbers with and without ignition signals he needs a new dyno.