E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2001 BMW 330 questions... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=918342)

ESTATE 04-27-2012 08:00 PM

2001 BMW 330 questions...
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hello folks,
I am new here and have been through quite a few threads in search for some answers but haven`t really got the answers yest so I decided to post a new one.

I am after my first BMW and really would like to hear from members on a 2001 330 I am interested in Brazil.

It is a RWD automatic transmission one owner car with 52,000 mi on it and I will run a test drive soon.

Questions:

1 - I love the car looks but i love real fast cars and I`ve been hearing the stardard 2001 330 has a 5 speed steptronic auto trans that is disappointing in the lag the transmission takes to downshift and it seems underpowered... is it true? Driving it in Tiptronic mode will solve the problem for a fast pass on the road or a real quick 0 to 45 in the city?

2 - Does the 2001 330 have DSC - Dynamic Stability Control - is there any way to turn it off and will that help in automatic mode?

3 - What would be the items that break down more often? Any typical problems I could identify when driving or looking?

4 - could anyone tell me what is the difference from the models Top, Sport and Motorsport? Motorsport isn`t the M3 right, but is it much better than the standard 330?

These cars are quite more expensive in South America than they are in US or Europe so i decided spending around US$ 28,000 and the 2001 is what i can get for that price.

Attached some pictures from the ad,

Thanks alot for your input,

DJ

E RaK 04-29-2012 12:58 AM

1. I actually rather like the way the transmission reacts to throttle inputs. You won't see any downgrades here in comparison to other automatics. The thing to look out for on the RWD cars is the common reverse drum failure on ZF transmission.

2. On RWD vehicles the DSC can be partially disabled with one push of the "DSC" button and completely defeated with a long push

3. Other typical E46 issues to watch out for are rear subframe failure, cooling system (water pump, ET, etc.), and window regulators. Check for a full service history with the previous owner and have the car inspected before you buy so you know what you might be in for.

4. The 330i you are looking at is not an "M-sport" model. Those typically have different bumpers and style 135 wheels. The ZHP is the 330i with performance cams, making a little extra power. An M3 uses an engine with an entirely different block from the lesser models and puts out significantly more hp.

jasonbimmer 04-29-2012 01:05 AM

lag when overtaking? did you press the pedal all the way down to engage kick down function? mines pretty responsive.
however, at 225hp, its not the fastest thing in the world you need to know.

also the pictures shows the car has sport steering but no sport seats. weird.

ESTATE 04-30-2012 08:17 PM

Tanks E Rak
 
4 Attachment(s)
Thanks E Rak for the info, I am curious now because I see there is basically 3 options down here, the M3 which is rare and too expensive, the motorsport and the Top (10% cheaper)... I attached 2 pics from the Top 330 (black) and 2 from the Motorsport (sylver) as they call it here...
Could you tell me if the version called Motorsport (not m3) has significant more power or performance than the other (Top) or they are real close?

I rather buy a one owner car and the one I found is the simpler model, is that really inferior?

Thanks again!


of the TYop and 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by E RaK (Post 14341972)
1. I actually rather like the way the transmission reacts to throttle inputs. You won't see any downgrades here in comparison to other automatics. The thing to look out for on the RWD cars is the common reverse drum failure on ZF transmission.

2. On RWD vehicles the DSC can be partially disabled with one push of the "DSC" button and completely defeated with a long push

3. Other typical E46 issues to watch out for are rear subframe failure, cooling system (water pump, ET, etc.), and window regulators. Check for a full service history with the previous owner and have the car inspected before you buy so you know what you might be in for.

4. The 330i you are looking at is not an "M-sport" model. Those typically have different bumpers and style 135 wheels. The ZHP is the 330i with performance cams, making a little extra power. An M3 uses an engine with an entirely different block from the lesser models and puts out significantly more hp.


E RaK 04-30-2012 08:21 PM

I'm a little conflicted on what options the black car has, but it does appear to be a "base" model sans the sport steering wheel and chrome inserts in the front bumper. The only mechanical upgrades to the silver "m-sport" for your area are a little lower suspension and seats with adjustable leg supports. The cars will feel almost identical to drive, the m-sport a little stiffer! It is a matter of whether or not you will be bothered by not having the small extra features of the m-sport car over the regular model.

ESTATE 04-30-2012 08:35 PM

Thanks Jasonbimmer
 
I have not noticed if the 330 I drove had a switch at the end of the gas like some mercedez do, so when you step hard all the way down on the gas it will downshift to 1st or 2nd gear.Iis that waht you mean?
I saw some posts where people complain about the slow reaction of the transmission when they drive around 45 and want to accelerate fast...

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbimmer (Post 14341979)
lag when overtaking? did you press the pedal all the way down to engage kick down function? mines pretty responsive.
however, at 225hp, its not the fastest thing in the world you need to know.

also the pictures shows the car has sport steering but no sport seats. weird.


ESTATE 04-30-2012 08:39 PM

Well I am not sure if these 2 models are so much different either, I'd be more interested in terms of acceleration and safety items, and seems that the main differences are stetical. For driving on the streets and roads down here we need higher profile tires rather than too low, so the 17" wheel is enough...
I guess the test drive is the thing that will sell the car anyway but I want to understand the options before I have to decide,
Thanks again

l
Quote:

Originally Posted by E RaK (Post 14348055)
I'm a little conflicted on what options the black car has, but it does appear to be a "base" model sans the sport steering wheel and chrome inserts in the front bumper. The only mechanical upgrades to the silver "m-sport" for your area are a little lower suspension and seats with adjustable leg supports. The cars will feel almost identical to drive, the m-sport a little stiffer! It is a matter of whether or not you will be bothered by not having the small extra features of the m-sport car over the regular model.


E RaK 04-30-2012 08:53 PM

Yes he is talking about that little button when you floor it :eeps:

Don't forget to look at the service history of both vehicles!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use