E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Ground Loop sound elimination help??? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=920089)

M127 05-06-2012 07:10 PM

Ground Loop sound elimination help???

2001 BMW M3 install...

Installed an aftermarket head unit, specifically the enco-b016. Connected to an aftermarket 4channel amplifier to run all the mids and highs through the rca connections.
I have a ground loop problem, which I installed Bullz Audio BNS80 ground loop isolators in between the head unit and amplifier for both front/rear connections.
This did not solve the issue.

I know this is a bmw forum, but hopefully some have high knowledge of audio installs.
Any suggestions on how to eliminate this noise??

Thanks!

TurnersInOz 05-06-2012 11:13 PM

Move the amp ground to a clean, dedicated connection
Make sure no signal cables run next to power

jaydiem 05-09-2012 05:32 PM

I moved from a aftermarket pioneer flip up unit to a Enco B146. I had ground loop isolators on the RCA out to my aftermarket amp FRONTS... which eliminated the static/engine noise for the pioneer unit. But the same setup didn't work for the enco.. I gave up and decided to just take out my sound system (aftermarket amp and subwoofer box in the trunk) the benefit is weight saving and empty trunk.

M127 05-10-2012 08:11 AM

update

I moved the amp ground to the factory audio ground. Didn't fix issue.

When I unplug the rca's from the amp, the noise completely stops. Does this mean the head unit isn't grounded properly???

I attempted to ground the rca's from the head unit, but noise got worse.

RCA's do run along the passenger side, which is where the main power line goes for all the accesories for the m3. Hoping this isn't the problem.

spurs51 01-30-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M127 (Post 14379355)
I moved the amp ground to the factory audio ground. Didn't fix issue.

When I unplug the rca's from the amp, the noise completely stops. Does this mean the head unit isn't grounded properly???

I attempted to ground the rca's from the head unit, but noise got worse.

RCA's do run along the passenger side, which is where the main power line goes for all the accesories for the m3. Hoping this isn't the problem.

Did you eventually sort your problem out ?

M127 01-30-2013 08:27 AM

No, I hooked up my tweeters to the head unit to power temporarily, just as a temp. fix. The lower power doesn't whine as much.

My next attempt is to shorten the Ground from the head unit as its running from the front to the back of the vehicle. This is my last fix I can come up with, as several ground loop eliminators failed miserably.

spurs51 01-30-2013 08:43 AM

That is annoying. I got a similiar problem in addition to my amp cutting in and out. Did you try the heat shrink wrap solution someone suggested before?

dirty vert 01-30-2013 03:02 PM

I have always run a ground wire (in connection with the hu ground) to the amp ground point as well as seperate rca's from nearby power wires.
You can have a differential from the hu ground to the amp ground and this will cause issues.
So, to make things clear- connect the hu ground to it's ground wire and the extra wire that will run to the amp grounding point... this will solve the differential of voltage.
I hope this will work for you, if not.... then I'm at a loss too.

TurnersInOz 01-30-2013 03:52 PM

There is no reason to run a ground for the HU to the rear of the car. You want the grounds to be as short as possible.
If you are running the ground to the rear to be closer/on the battery, this can cause issues.

markusmarkus 01-30-2013 07:16 PM

Use the grounding lug forward and above the oem amp's location for the new amp. Use oem head unit's ground for the head unit.

dirty vert 01-30-2013 09:46 PM

but, with a gound loop issue....between the two grounds (1) at the headunit, and (2) the amp- you can have a volt or two difference , evidently you misunderstood what I'm saying... I do know well enough about this...
This is why I run the extra wire... leave the headunit grounded to the headunit and connected (to the same connection) of the headunits gound and run this to the amps gound too- this will even out the difference.
Don't believe me.... been there, done that.
I never said don't use it (hu) or amp ground...Just add the wire to remove voltage difference.
the12volt.com has more for you to read....

JasonCote 01-30-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M127 (Post 14379355)

^ this.
Always opposite sides, especially with the 0 gauge power wire going through
Better audio this way too.

TurnersInOz 01-30-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty vert (Post 15113856)
but, with a gound loop issue....between the two grounds (1) at the headunit, and (2) the amp- you can have a volt or two difference , evidently you misunderstood what I'm saying... I do know well enough about this...
This is why I run the extra wire... leave the headunit grounded to the headunit and connected (to the same connection) of the headunits gound and run this to the amps gound too- this will even out the difference.
Don't believe me.... been there, done that.
I never said don't use it (hu) or amp ground...Just add the wire to remove voltage difference.
the12volt.com has more for you to read....

Does this mean that you would ground the HU up front, ground the amp in back, and then run a wire between the two grounds?

dirty vert 01-31-2013 12:12 AM

Yes , this is exactly what I do.

TurnersInOz 01-31-2013 02:03 AM

Interesting!
I'll have to keep that in mind if I run into a stubborn GL.

Thanks!

spurs51 01-31-2013 06:01 AM

My issue was sorted last night by connecting into the single sub out rca of the Enco B146 unit and then using a spliter cable at the amp end. See last couple of posts in the "Enco B146 (Wince) support" thread between mbadger and myself.