E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alarms/Remote Window Rollup (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=9244)

OneBigTree 06-02-2002 02:41 PM

Alarms/Remote Window Rollup

Ok, so I know BMW NA has seen fit to disable the auto window rollup feature on the E46 (damn lawyers!), but I think this would be a really useful feature. On the other hand, when it comes to street cars, I am a stickler for factory fit and finish, so...

A) Is there any way to enable this feature on our cars?

B) If the factory system can't be utilized, is there an aftermarket alarm system that offers such functionality while still using the key transmitter that comes with the car?

thomo 06-02-2002 02:48 PM

Indulge me !!

can you post a pic of your key to see if it is the same as mine in UK ??

I have both roll up and down feature on my car with the key (without it being in the lock)

I reckon we can solve this between your dealer and my Uk one, i could ask him how he would turn this feature OFF on my car !

Hope this helps.

Still cant see why its disabled in US though :dunno:

bender 06-02-2002 02:50 PM

Re: Indulge me !!

Quote:

Originally posted by thomo

Still cant see why its disabled in US though :dunno:

probably cause bmw doesn't want a stupid person's arm or fingers getting stuck in the window.

thomo 06-02-2002 02:52 PM

I tried it

I tried this (not on purpose - honest!!) with my daughters fingers (she is 6)
and the window just stopped and went down again without hurting her !

bender 06-02-2002 02:54 PM

Re: I tried it

Quote:

Originally posted by thomo
I tried this (not on purpose - honest!!) with my daughters fingers (she is 6)
and the window just stopped and went down again without hurting her !

hahhaahahaha

bender 06-02-2002 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
key

OneBigTree 06-02-2002 03:09 PM

Sorry to say, I am waiting for the car... sometime this week (my delivery got pushed back a week... grrr). I am just planning out the things that will be done to it.

Apparently, this feature doesn't involve the key, it involves the ZKE (Zentraler Körper-Elektronik | Central Body Electronics). This is basically the hardware/software that runs all the chassis features of the car (lights, wipers, radio, mirrors, defroster... you get the picture). The big question is if this is a software deal or a hardware deal.

The only thing we really know so far is that a fellow Forum member took euro delivery of their E46 and asked the German dealer to enable this feature for them. Apparently, remote window rollup didn't even show up on the German dealer's MoDic (the diagnostics computer).

If worse comes to worse, perhaps we could get a petition together to get BMW to allow those of us willing to sign waivers of liability to have our dealers activate this feature. I could set it up over the web, anyone interested?

vids_blk323Ci 06-02-2002 03:18 PM

Does anyone know if the rollup from your key button feature is standard in Europe and only disabled in the US?

bender 06-02-2002 03:20 PM

i've installed this feature in cars using aftermarket alarms add-ons moduals. To add this to an alarm you just gotta get this seperate modual. I wonder if it is the same....it would be nice to just add a part to the car....

E46 06-02-2002 08:52 PM

you can add an aftermarket alarm to your stock alarm. Since you already have electric windows then the alarm will have the automatic window roll up feature