E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Review: Callahan rotors and pads (eBay) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=925350)

aphhpa 06-02-2012 07:39 AM

Review: Callahan rotors and pads (eBay)

I was looking for a cheap alternative to brakes. I came across Callahan performance drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic "quiet" brake pads.

I paid 148.00 shipped for (2) front rotors, front brake pads, and (1) wear sensor. shipping was very timely. I had them 4-5 days after I paid and that included a weekend.

The installation; could not have been easier. Hardest part was expanding the caliper so I could slide it back over the rotor. Everything fit perfectly. The pads went on easier than oem actually.

The ride; was awesome! I've only had them on for a few days but there is absolutely no squeeking like I had prior. The brakes catch so smooth. Everytime I stop for a light or sign I can stop so smooth with out any instant grabbing right before you actually stop (I dont know how to explain it)

Best of all; they look great!! The drilled and slotted rotors are shiny and look great on the car! I'll post pics if anyone is interested but I apologize for no pics prior, I wasn't planning on this review.

Final words; I highly recommend these to every and anyone and I'll be getting some for my rear brakes. Perfect replacement for oem brakes.

reyes186 06-02-2012 08:09 AM

I buy my rotors and brake pads from eBay to for about the same amount of money and they are great. No more steering wheel shake a lot better then before I would really recommend this ..

ryanwhite74115 06-02-2012 08:26 AM

Yea...got my rotors from ebay. ATE Premium One's, all 4 for around $150 shipped. Other companies were wanting $60 per rotor! :yikes:

mxchris727 06-02-2012 08:43 AM

Just wait untill the day when the rotors get really hot and heat fracture. It happens to cheap rotors from China because of the cheap alloys that they use.

aphhpa 06-02-2012 09:04 AM

I'll wait, and it won't happen. Heat fractures are not common. Have never had it, nor heard of any of my buddies having that and we're all car enthusiasts. Also, they are drilled and slotted so heat will even less of an issue than non-drilled oem.

reyes186 06-02-2012 09:24 AM

^ :)

mxchris727 06-02-2012 09:32 AM

Jeez, you people are cheap!
Drilled rotor are fine, but $25 ones are not.

LD330XI 06-02-2012 09:47 AM

What a coincidence.. I was just looking for brakes a few minutes ago. I found a full set of blanks with pads that were the same brand. I was thinking they were too cheap, and the whole Tommy Boy reference kind of threw me off.. I personally will pay a little more for brakes, but I wish you luck. Maybe they will work fine.

aphhpa 06-02-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxchris727 (Post 14450459)
Jeez, you people are cheap!
Drilled rotor are fine, but $25 ones are not.

Okay so if you see a single oem rotor for 150 on one website, and the same exact rotor for 25 on another... You'd pay 150 simply cause it cost more?

People don't trust brands like Callahan cause they haven't heard of them, which is understandable. However, you can't put them
Down just because they are priced cheaper. It's all about business. They are in fact not a popular brand so people buy from them
Less than a known brand. Due to less demand, they must have lower prices or else they would go out of business. This does not affect the quality of the product. If Callahan slowly gained respect for quality, and sales went up... You bet your ash that their prices would to.

But that's what I'm here for.. To test these silly brands for you to tell you they DO compare to oem if not better.

BBBoy323i 06-02-2012 11:42 AM

Bma parts sells oem and brembo, I bought my brembo blanks from them. Total I spent was $170 on front brakes :D

PH03NIX46 06-02-2012 11:52 AM

Ever since my buddy's eBay brakes rusted to **** after a single Winter, I've be skeptical about eBay brakes.

However, let us know how yours fair in the long run, for some things on eBay ARE worth it.

Manny330 06-02-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 (Post 14450385)
Yea...got my rotors from ebay. ATE Premium One's, all 4 for around $150 shipped. Other companies were wanting $60 per rotor! :yikes:

Where?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Bimmer App

aphhpa 06-02-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiAg46 (Post 14450663)
Ever since my buddy's eBay brakes rusted to **** after a single Winter, I've be skeptical about eBay brakes.

However, let us know how yours fair in the long run, for some things on eBay ARE worth it.

Most rotors can rust overnight if it rains. It's a metal, metal does that. Mine would rust if it rained. The rust disappears immediately after driving it.

Fuseryder 06-05-2012 08:57 AM

Pics?

Glidde8 06-05-2012 09:04 AM

Was also tempted by these since mine are starting to get noisy...how is the dust??

boostedisbetter 06-05-2012 09:22 AM

Okay...After some research...lol, check this out... this is NOT good...

http://g35driver.com/forums/v36-brak...-review-2.html

Mango 06-05-2012 09:43 AM

Just because some chinese workers can pour metal into the same shape as the OE parts does not mean they meet standard. Your life depends on your cars ability to stop. Do not put your life into the hands of cheap chinese crap from eBay just to save $20. I'd like to see a picture of these parts. I bet they're OP Parts rotors and pads (literally $20/$15 on BMAparts.com) but sold on eBay with an extreme markup. Note that chinese parts are unbranded. They look great, but the truth lies underneath.

Mango 06-05-2012 09:44 AM

And, BTW, that's not a cheap alternative. In fact, I actually think you paid more than you would have for quality parts if you simply shopped around.

Mango 06-05-2012 09:47 AM

Just by reading that Callahan eBay link, you can tell that was written in chinese-engrish. Stay away

choxor 06-05-2012 10:02 AM

Man, I haven't watch Tommy Boy in forever. Best part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Xvx...eature=related

And on a more serious note:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphhpa (Post 14450430)
I'll wait, and it won't happen. Heat fractures are not common. Have never had it, nor heard of any of my buddies having that and we're all car enthusiasts. Also, they are drilled and slotted so heat will even less of an issue than non-drilled oem.

Yeah, they're cross drilled and slotted, which is WEAKER unless it's cast that way and not drilled and slotted from a blank. These are cheap ass chinese rotors. Do you think they're cast or drilled? Hmm, my hunch is it's the latter of the two. So you have rotors that may (or hey, may not) be made of inferior metal and may (or may not, but I thoroughly doubt it) be drilled and not cast.

And this cheap ass part is the thing that makes your car stop. Call me crazy, but brakes is one of those places I don't trust cheap ass products.