E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Overheating Fluid (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=926387)

jared_wiesner 06-07-2012 04:09 PM

Overheating Fluid

I've been having issues with fluid boiling ever since I started tracking my 328. I have recently upgraded to cool carbon pads which seem to be doing a great job of biting and not fading at the track. I also am using ATE super blue fluid.

What happens is that I get 3 laps of hard braking at the limit and then I start to get a squishy pedal that I can pump up and still lock the brakes. I brake very late and very hard, riding the edge of abs the entire time. This is not a case of dragging the brakes.

Is the need for brake ducts just a given on these cars? What about titanium backing plates? The pads had backing plates built in, but maybe they are not enough. I would love to get some help answering the question as to why I am boiling super blue so fast.

Andy2108 06-07-2012 04:28 PM

If you're having problems them move up to RBF600 or RBF660 :dunno:

jared_wiesner 06-07-2012 05:51 PM

Do you think they would actually work if I'm fading the ATE that fast? Its only like 50 degrees difference.

Andy2108 06-07-2012 06:16 PM

idk, but its another 50 degrees that will keep you from ruining fluid and having to bleed it again.

jared_wiesner 06-07-2012 06:29 PM

I guess it worth a shot. I may have to shotgun approach this as I'm getting really sick of wasting track time due to squishy brakes.

new fluid and brake ducts... I'd like to avoid the added cost of shipping titanium plates up to Canada for now if I can.

mko9 06-08-2012 12:18 PM

Do you know for a fact that it is the fluid and not the pads that are the problem? I don't know what "cool carbon pads" are, but if you are not using a dedicated trackday pad (Hawk HT-10 or DTC-60, Porterfield R4, etc) that is probably your problem. Street pads or aggressive auto-x pads are not going to cut it on track. You are doing way more braking, from much higher speeds, much more frequently than you ever will on the street or at an auto-x.

jared_wiesner 06-08-2012 03:59 PM

Yes...its the fluid.
Pad fade does not give you a soft pedal, rather no brake with a hard pedal.
When braking on track I could still pump the pedal and lock up the wheels. This means its definitely the fluid.

Cool carbons have a higher MOT than HT-10 or Porterfield R4's

BMW Throttle Spacers 06-09-2012 11:07 PM

.z

jared_wiesner 06-09-2012 11:09 PM

Installed homemade brake ducts tonight. We'll have to see how they do for my next track day. I used metal foil dryer hose for the hoses, I'd like to find a more permanent material. Anyone have any ideas without having to pay the markup associated with proper brake duct hoses.

mrshelley 06-11-2012 07:53 AM

In a nutshell:
-Proper brake ducts
-New ATE Super Blue Fluid
-Real Track Pads (i.e. PFC)

Don't be cheap on brakes. With a few changes, you'll be able to enjoy a brake system that is very well designed and performs very well. As for your hoses, just get the right ones. Everything else will just come apart.

If you are looking for a cheap upgrade, find a set of used front calipers and carriers from a 330. Then get a set of 330 front rotors. Put some brake ducts on them, get some PFC pads, SS Hoses and ATE Super Blue Fluid. Then you'll have a really good stopping car that will surprise everyone around you. You'll be able to hammer the brakes all day long.

jared_wiesner 06-11-2012 08:50 AM

Thanks Mr Shelley. I know from your experience that you know what your saying when you suggest doing it right with quality parts.

That being said. I did take the car out for a good brake thrashing with my temporary ducts on, the vapor lock is cured even with old boiled fluid still in the lines.

mrshelley 06-11-2012 12:05 PM

At the end of the day, most brake fluid issues can be solved with brake ducts. Even a small amount of air movement around the brakes can make a world of difference. BMW owners should consider themselves lucky that they don't have to put up with a Honda Civic or Mazda 3 which have a braking system that's not even close to what a BMW has.