E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Passenger Side Rear View Mirror Tilt not working (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=926949)

falk1984 06-11-2012 03:11 AM

Passenger Side Rear View Mirror Tilt not working

Hi guys,

I have a 2004 318i with memory seats and passenger side rear view mirror tilt function when in reverse (kerb view?). The mirror controls all work and I can manually select any position the mirror possibly allows. Lately, however, the tilt function goes haywire and when I reverse, the mirror tilts downwards to some angle, but not the the stored setting. Even worse, then I go forward (D - automatic transmission), the mirror goes down even more instead of the initially programmed position and stays there. To me it appears that the mirror does not store any mirror settings anymore or the calibration is off. I have already tried selecting a different seat memory, but to no avail...

Have you guys experienced the same symptoms? Is there an easy DIY fix, or even better, how can I deactivate the feature altogether?

Also, another thing to note is that the switch position on the mirror selector has no impact (drivers side / passenger side) - the mirror tilts downwards / upwards either way, no matter what the position, and worse - the tilt function cannot be deactivated by simply switching to passenger side :( The memory seat function works perfectly though...

Many thanks in advance!

ThatGuy_JZ 06-11-2012 08:30 AM

I don't think it's properly activated. May need to plug into OBD port and re-configure it.

In reverse mine does that as well, tilts down to some terrible un-useable angle. I'm unable to change the angle to what I need and save it. Before I changed my mirrors however I don't remember having that problem.

In the meantime, I've positioned my mirrors to a reverse friendly position and saved it under Memory 2 on my driver seat. This way when I reverse, I just hit 2 and my mirrors go down so I can see the curbs.

falk1984 06-11-2012 01:11 PM

I already tried saving to a new memory position, but it still doesn't want to remember the position i want it to be in...

Also, the angle the mirror selects changes each time I reverse :S at times its 30degrees off, at times 45 degrees etc...

The mirror used to work perfectly, including remembering the exact setting/position, but only recently it started to have a mind on its own.

Is there a way to deactivate the kerb view feature via software? I don't mind if the mirror doesn't swing downwards, as long as it doesn't always change the position when i reverse and then drive forward..

Or even better, do you have any suggestions on how to fix this? I do not want to buy a new mirror only because of that function - after all, the motors / heaters seem to work perfectly..

Thanks,

ThatGuy_JZ 06-11-2012 01:32 PM

With software it can be activated/de-activated I've been told.

You should not have to replace a mirror, I do not think that will solve the problem.

falk1984 06-11-2012 01:37 PM

>You should not have to replace a mirror, I do not think that will solve the problem.

uh oh - do you think it may be more serious like the whole seat-mirror memory module :?

///MPR77 06-11-2012 01:48 PM

falk1984 06-11-2012 01:51 PM

>Is the mirror switch in driver side position?

Somehow doesn't matter in my case - the mirror activates the kerb view in reverse in either switch position.
Driver side position = mind of its own
Passenger side position = mind of its own

Is there any fuse that is specific to the mirror tilt? i could only find the one that deactivates the whole mirror and then I can not even manually set it anymore..

Thanks,

ThatGuy_JZ 06-11-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falk1984 (Post 14477085)
>You should not have to replace a mirror, I do not think that will solve the problem.

uh oh - do you think it may be more serious like the whole seat-mirror memory module :?

no I doubt it. You may want to check with someone with more experience dealing with this.

Auto-tilt is a programmable feature that can be turned on or off given you have the right equipment for it

theLedger 07-06-2012 03:28 PM

When I put my power mirror adjuster to the passenger side, the reverse tilt feature stops working (which may be the intended behavior - haven't read the owners manual on it).

My rear view mirror doesn't return to the memory setting after putting it in D so I often have to hit the memory switch for it to go back to the right spot.