E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   330ci track/drift car engine prep. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=927383)

330Hero 06-13-2012 04:59 AM

330ci track/drift car engine prep.

Hi guys,

This is my current plan to get the engine to a place where it should hopefully be happy to take some abuse - any comments and suggestions most welcome :)

1. Weld Oil pump nut - (have read the horror stories of pump sprocket bolts shearing off due to high RPMs so figured it worth doing!).
2. Baffled sump - ordered from VAC motorsports in the US, looks pretty good and should help keep oil moving when the car's at jaunty angles! (also got a new sump gasket)
3. Gauges - water temp, oil temp, oil pressure - will upgrade rad and add an oil cooler down the line depending on temps from these.

I checked the water temps with the OBC and water temps never went over 84C when giving it some stick last night so I believe the thermostat and water pump are good for now :)

'engines just done 97k, anything else I should think about doing? VANOS and DISA seem quiet but appreciate they may need doing down the line, not too big a deal though!

Chassis wise I just ordered coilovers, meyle wishbones and polybushes all round - should be fun!

mrshelley 06-13-2012 01:59 PM

1. Just red Loctite it and drill the nut then retain with safety wire. That way, you can still get it apart if you need to.
2. A baffle is a good idea.
3. Gauges - Instead of spending all of that time installing gauges, buy an AIM Solo DL and an ECU bridge. That way, you get a cheap GPS data system that will pull info from the ECU and ABS unit (AIM makes a nice template for the e46 to pull a good amount of data). That way, you get some useful data that can make you better as a driver. As for oil pressure, just install a big warning light. If it lights up, shut the car down.

For controlling coolant temps, I suggest using a Stewart pump, stock water pump pulley, brand new stock radiator and clean out the condenser (if your car has one). If you can, drill the fan shroud full of holes to get as much air flow through the radiator. An oil cooler is a good idea as it will control the water temp when you come in off of the track.

330Hero 06-14-2012 05:47 AM

k.beans 06-16-2012 11:22 AM

dont forget your subframe reinforcement....

possible a/c delete? less parasitic drag on the motor and about 30lbs worth of parts you can remove from the front end (some of which hangs way over the front wheels).

bigjae1976 06-18-2012 09:54 PM

I upgraded to the VAC oil pump sprocket, oil pan baffle, S54 timing chain tensioner, ATI damper, carillo rods and some better bearings. I've had the stewart water pump for awhile with great results...many OEM M3s (E46 and E9X) were going into limp mode last summer and I was still abusing my car...with no oil cooler.

I will be upgrading to a Zionsville radiator/expansion tank as well.

serdar255 06-19-2012 02:08 AM

DIYs for the pump upgrade?