E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   The Showroom (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Teenage Dream (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=927560)

NathanHeeney 06-14-2012 12:43 AM

Teenage Dream

I turned 17 a few months ago and I am now onto my third car. And no I have never been in an accident. I just get bored of the having the same car. I was planning on getting a GTI but ended up with a 2000 323ci with 76,000 miles on the clock. So far I have had fun in my little red car. I have a handful of things I want to change on this car. I had a lot more to say but I'll just keep it short.

[IMG]IMG_1375[/IMG]

Style 54's and stock height is just embarrassing... I plan on fixing these problems this summer, don't worry.

[IMG]IMG_1383[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1391[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1378[/IMG]

First thing I did was tinting the windows, 35% all around.

[IMG]IMG_1385[/IMG]

Afterwards I debadged the 323ci emblem off the boot.

[IMG]IMG_1398[/IMG]

Last weekend I took out the factory Harmon/Kardon amplifier and the rear woofers and tweeters. I installed a pair of Polk Audio DB6501 component speakers, powering it with a JL Audio JX360/4 amplifier. For the bass I put in a single 12" Kenwood subwoofer and a Kenwood KAC-9105D amplifier that I had a previous car. Just listening to music out of the rear of the car it is far superior to the "premium" Harmon/Kardon speaker package.

[IMG]IMG_1399[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1403[/IMG]

I'll show more photos of how I am wiring my whole system when I put my front speakers in. Just waiting for Polk Audio to send me my new Crossover since I snapped my circuit board in half...

[IMG]IMG_1392[/IMG]

Looks a little sloppy right now but I am waiting until Friday to get my Dynamat installed before I put the trunk panel back on.

Later this month I plan on installing all my amplifiers and crossovers into the spare tire compartment before I go to Mexico.

[IMG]IMG_1390[/IMG]

I have been searching for the 'perfect' set of wheels for my whip. I think I will be settling with a set of Style 5's. But that is unless I can get a nice set of Style 95's, inspired by Sadan's bagged 323ci. (Check it out!)

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25594

I am definitively looking forward to the rest of this summer!

B_Cyrus 06-14-2012 12:59 AM

Nice start to a project! You're like me, I've had 6-8 cars since I was 17(22 now), and only one had been totaled. Easy to get bored.

TallSkinnyMatt 06-14-2012 01:44 AM

Nice pick up! Excited to see whats in store :thumbsup:

djnekkon 06-14-2012 02:12 AM

Looking so clean. Any plans?

NathanHeeney 06-14-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djnekkon (Post 14485682)
Looking so clean. Any plans?

I plan on going low soon, just need to sell a few ATV's first.

FelizPrim3 06-14-2012 08:57 AM

keep it nice and clean

TJ710 06-14-2012 11:13 AM

Why is the service engine soon light on?...Nice car. Take care of it, I hope you have it for a while.

got330ci? 06-14-2012 11:22 AM

Nice and clean...btw your thread title is kind of...umm. Yea. Nice car though.

NathanHeeney 06-14-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ710 (Post 14486468)
Why is the service engine soon light on?...Nice car. Take care of it, I hope you have it for a while.

The gas cap is loose I suppose. I got it inspected last week and it came came back free of problems and they put a new gas cap on but I guess it isn't keeping it completly sealed tight.

But yeah, I'll have this car for awhile. I'll just keep it until it runs itself into the ground.

Quote:

Originally Posted by got330ci? (Post 14486500)
Nice and clean...btw your thread title is kind of...umm. Yea. Nice car though.

I didn't want to call it NathanHeeney's Build Thread so I thought Teenage Dream would suffice.

tock172 06-14-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanHeeney (Post 14486555)
The gas cap is loose I suppose. I got it inspected last week and it came came back free of problems and they put a new gas cap on but I guess it isn't keeping it completly sealed tight.

But yeah, I'll have this car for awhile. I'll just keep it until it runs itself into the ground.

I didn't want to call it NathanHeeney's Build Thread so I thought Teenage Dream would suffice.

Scan for the code and clear it yourself. Great looking 323ci.

Studdly_Studright 06-14-2012 03:23 PM

Looks like it's in good shape..damn I kept my e46 from 16-20

nlav26 06-14-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanHeeney (Post 14486060)
I plan on going low soon, just need to sell a few ATV's first.

a few....:eeps:... how rich are you??

ImSoFreaknWhite 06-14-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfan5420 (Post 14487364)

+1 I like the red :thumbup:

NathanHeeney 06-14-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfan5420 (Post 14487364)

We are selling two of our ATV's and a few other toys. My dad wants to get my mom a Can Am Spyder, but I doubt he will end up buying it.

NightRaider93 06-14-2012 05:29 PM

Love the red. Know what kind of wheels your going to throw down on it?

:rofl: I love the tags.

NathanHeeney 06-14-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightRaider93 (Post 14487519)
Love the red. Know what kind of wheels your going to throw down on it?

:rofl: I love the tags.

I found a nice set of Style 5's I'm trying to buy.

The tags fit my car perfectly. It's maaaaaad low!

BavarianLuke 06-15-2012 11:15 AM

hellrot ftw!
How hard was it to replace your speakers, ive been thinking of doing mine. seems like its a whole day project, if you have dimensions too that would be more than great

NightRaider93 06-15-2012 04:29 PM

Style 5's would look great, been wanting to do that for some time. When do you plan on getting them?

NathanHeeney 06-15-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BavarianLuke (Post 14489394)
hellrot ftw!
How hard was it to replace your speakers, ive been thinking of doing mine. seems like its a whole day project, if you have dimensions too that would be more than great

Switching out the speakers is pretty simple in the 323. It is about the same as any other car I have worked one. The only challenge of working on a Beemer is fitting my 6'4" body into the rear seats plus not taking out the rear headrest makes it a real pain, but you can easier take those out if need be.

Okay, now to answer your questions. It is a whole day event, but the end resul is fantastic. All of my music is crystal clear. Before you go in a play around with the wires, look up information uptaining to the cars stereo system. Once you know the basics of what does what in your car you can go in a start digging around. For the installing of the speakers I have done so far have been quite easy. I saw basic tutorials of how to install Bavarian Sound Work's speakers on a cabriolet. It gave me the basic idea of what I was supposed to do in my coupe. For the rear speakers just take a flat head and pry open the speaker cover. The speaker is held in by 3 5/16th screws. I took the stock speakers out and also took out the basket that sits right behind the speaker itself. Since the speakers inside of BMW's are in a three prong shape you can't simply install a aftermarket speaker into the existing housing. To compensate for this you have to buy a speaker adapter or make one out of particle board. I decided to buy a speaker adapter off of Crutchfield. It worked great, just had to do so modifications to it due to the Polk Audio speakers I installed being lightly larger than 6 1/2 inches. All I had to do was use a dremel and evened out some raised spots that are made to fit speakers that are 6 1/2 inches exactly. Will my speakers were slightly bigger than the adapter I couldn't use screws so I used a hot glue gun to glue the speaker to the adapter. So far it has held up great, no rattles at all. Then when I did the tweeters you pop off the panel and then unscrew the backing of the stock tweeter. Once unscrewed pop out the front. My tweeters that I put in were smaller than stock so I used the hot glue gun again and held it in where I wanted it and glued a ring around it to first secure it then lob a lot more on to keep it in tight. To put it back in, run your new wire through the hole and the screw cap and then screw the cap back on and pop the panels back in. I ran the wires from my tweeters to my crossovers by placing the wire underneath my rear seats. This a quick run down, if you want some more information just let me know. Sorry I didn't take pictures when I did the rear install. I will be sure to take some when I do my front install this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightRaider93 (Post 14490276)
Style 5's would look great, been wanting to do that for some time. When do you plan on getting them?

I'm looking a extremely nice set of Style 5's at the moment. The seller doesn't want to ship them yet, he wants to deal locally at the moment. So hopefully he ends up selling them to me, I said I would pay for shipping. But I guess it is a wait and see thing right now.

NathanHeeney 06-15-2012 10:12 PM

I finally got my Dynamat delivered today as well as my replacement crossover from Polk Audio. I will probably end up with more Dynamat that what I actually need but I bought 36 square feet just to be safe. This weekend I will hopefully find time to get my front speakers installed and I plan on placing Dynamat in the boot and on my front two doors. I will upload some pictures of my installation once I am finished. I'll have some sort of guide made out on how I wired my whole system for those who were interested in how I am doing it. And in my goal of keeping this thread full of pictures here are some poorly taken photos.

[IMG]085[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1426[/IMG]

New crossover from Polk Audio. I highly recommend their speakers! Being a Polk Audio forum member I got 20% off my replacement crossover and free shipping!

[IMG]IMG_1436[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1433[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1430[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1438[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1440[/IMG]

News:

Pay day is next week so I will be ordering coilovers not to long after that. I am probably going to settle with a set of ST Performance coilovers.

I am still trying to find a nice set of Style 5's to buy, so if you have a set hit me up! :excited:

After I get wheels and a drop I'm going to start doing some small little changes about the car. So stay tuned for that!