E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bought a supercharged E46, got ripped off - need help getting the car running (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=928026)

xphiledan 06-16-2012 10:57 PM

Bought a supercharged E46, got ripped off - need help getting the car running

I find a 2001 330i 5MT with an Active Autowerks Rotrex C30 kit on craigslist 30 mins from my house. Test drove the car. Owner tells me full maintenance history. He says no problems except for an SES that shows up every couple years or so - just need a MAF cleaning.

I buy the car, couple days later P0172 P0175 SES codes appear (Bank 1 & 2 running rich). I clear the codes and clean the MAF. A few days later, the weather hits 100F - SES reappears and the car goes into limp mode. Refuses to rev over 2k-2.5k. I park the car, come back later in the day when temp drops below 85 and the car drives fine with no codes for the next few days when the temp is in the 70s. Behavior occurs again as soon as temp hits 90F. It throws additional misfire codes. I call the PO - he says he's never seen the limp mode issue.

I install a new MAF. Same problem. Car does not like warm temperatures. Some days are better than others. I encounter a new code P1603 (Control Module Self Test, Torque Monitoring).

After searching the forums, I come across a surprise. I come across a thread describing the very same issues that I have. I look at the signature, same mods, same color... I look at the town and the screen name. GOD DAMN IT. The PO is on this forum, and created a thread 2 years ago with the same problem. He's had at least 4 shops look at the car with no results. Each shop says it's a problem with the supercharger, but can't identify the problem.

He listed all of his troubleshooting steps
- replaced vanos w new seals
- replaced head unit, black box, sensors,
- cleaned ICV, DISA
- checked O2 sensors
- looked for vacuum leaks
- replaced all the clamps
- scanned with GT1
- checked battery
- checked engine to chassis ground strap
- checked Alternator
- replaced valve cover
- smoke test & repaired small leaks
- checked w UV light
- replaced vortech fmu

At this point, there's nothing I can do with regards to the previous owner. I'm primarily concerned with trying to figure out what to do with this car. Unfortunately, I sold my previous daily driver, so I'm a bit stuck. I need help with trying to get this machine running reliably.

So I have 3 options:
- pull the supercharger, return the car to stock
- fix the running rich issue
- get rid of the car

Does anyone know of any issues with supercharger uninstalls? Aside from the airbox / ecu, are there any parts I need to acquire?

Do you think he's caused any damage to the engine/cats by driving the car with this problem for the past 2 years for over 15,000+ miles?

Limp mode issues aside, I like this car. Body and interior is clean. I'm inclined to wanting to keep this car. Unfortunately, I just spent a decent amount of money getting new tires and brakes.

My intention for this post is to not seek vengeance, and I will not post the previous owner's screen name/info. Nor am I saying anything bad about the AA kit. I just need help getting out of my sucky situation. Thanks much.

mtnbound 06-16-2012 11:49 PM

Well, if it's this guy, you may want to check that your A pillar isn't leaking as well. After all of those problems with the supercharger, he actually then posted it for sale, so it's clearly not beyond him to hide the full truth.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...197&highlight=

Given all of those problems, I'd definitely return everything back to stock.

Dreikraft 06-17-2012 12:29 AM

yo utry calling the shop to make sure the head unit was actually replaced?

mestupmonkydude 06-17-2012 12:42 AM

Take it to Maximum PSI I bet they could figure it out.

xphiledan 06-17-2012 07:55 AM

i'll pay a visit to the guys at maximum psi. tks.

02black330ci 06-17-2012 09:46 AM

Yes, Maximum PSI man, I am sure they will figure it out.

jacobs323i 06-17-2012 11:12 AM

What a lying piece of ****!!! You know where he lives and payback is a dish bestcserved cold!

STORMER 06-17-2012 11:48 AM

I feel your pain :banghead: hope you can get it figured out :thumbsup:

MSpired 06-18-2012 12:29 AM

Have the ignition coils been replaced? I don't see that listed as something that the fawkface PO changed. I would change the fuel filter also if it has never been replaced.

eeleaj 06-18-2012 11:24 AM

If I were you I would post the PO info so others don't deal with him anymore. Maybe get him banned or something. It probably doesn't matter to him anymore as he probably doesn't want an e46 anymore. But you got served a bad deal with invisible bandaids all over it

Zak@ActiveAutowerke 06-18-2012 11:29 AM

Those codes make it sound like a software issue.

If you can get to Mike @ Maximum PSI he should be able to help. I can work with him to get the software sorted out.

xphiledan 06-18-2012 11:34 AM

i just sent the po a letter informing him that i found his thread with a prepaid ups envelope for him to send me any shop records.

i don't think he's planning on getting another bmw. please don't flame him. it's not going to help me, and at this point, i just need the car to run.

mtnbound was correct, this was the po's thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=739197

i already saved a copy of his original thread in case he chooses to delete his posts, but i think it would still be useful to have his information on the board.

sent an email to active autowerke and maximum psi this morning with my situation. aa as usual was very prompt in responding back - they are convinced it's a air leak, but i'm not too sure considering the po's work. hopefully maximum psi will get back to me soon to book an appt to look at the car this week.

xphiledan 06-18-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zak@ActiveAutowerke (Post 14496588)
Those codes make it sound like a software issue.

If you can get to Mike @ Maximum PSI he should be able to help. I can work with him to get the software sorted out.

Thank you Zak. I have always been impressed with the level of support AA offers to the community.

I'm hoping it's a software issue as well considering it looks like all the hardware was checked out.

xphiledan 06-18-2012 01:52 PM

Talked to Maximum PSI on the phone today, bringing the car in next Mon 6/25. Will post updates.

Thanks everyone for the help.

STORMER 06-18-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xphiledan (Post 14497037)
Talked to Maximum PSI on the phone today, bringing the car in next Mon 6/25. Will post updates.

Thanks everyone for the help.

This sounds to me like the best course of action especially after reading po thread. Looks like he never did actually take it into them.

Hope all goes well. :thumbsup:

bwallace530 06-18-2012 02:48 PM

Wow I read that old thread seems like the guy really screwed you hope you get it all figured out and doesn't cost a ton.

Crestwood1001 06-18-2012 02:53 PM

Gotta look at the bright side to man, if it turns out to be a relatively simple fix that I'm sure these guys can figure out, all the vital parts of the car have be checked out / replaced recently so hopefully you will end up a suck ride!

boostedisbetter 06-18-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crestwood1001 (Post 14497229)
gotta look at the bright side to man, if it turns out to be a relatively simple fix that i'm sure these guys can figure out, all the vital parts of the car have be checked out / replaced recently so hopefully you will end up with a sick ride!

+1

Andrew@Activeautowerke 06-18-2012 08:28 PM

Op Im sorry to hear about your situation, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this and get you into the car you intended to purchase in the first place !

With Zak and Mike on top of it I'm sure it won't be long:thumbsup:

pawelgawel 06-18-2012 08:43 PM

op, not many people would act like this in your situation. Props to you for being mature and above the slimes.
hopefully the seller is honest and provides you the records and this problem is fixed asap...

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App